Earthquake Web Site - Aug 6, 2011

Old August 7th 11, 04:08 AM posted to alt.disasters.misc,sci.astro,sci.geo.earthquakes,sci.geo.geology,sci.physics
E.D.G.

Default Earthquake Web Site - Aug 6, 2011

PROPOSED NEW EARTHQUAKE WEB SITE
Posted by E.D.G. - August 6, 2011
http://www.freewebs.com/eq-forecasting/Data.html

A copy of this report has been posted to the sci.astro Newsgroup
because sun and moon gravity related earthquake triggering theories will
probably be discussed at this proposed new Web site.

An effort is just getting started to create a new earthquake
forecasting and research Web site.

The primary goal of the new site would be to make it possible for
independent researchers around the world plus any interested formal research
groups and government agencies to more effectively work together to learn
how to forecast earthquakes and also do important earthquake related
research such as developing a clearer picture of how earthquakes in
different parts of the world are being triggered.

A major problem with many research efforts, not just ones associated
with earthquakes, results from people around the world not being able to
communicate or work effectively with one another. The Internet represents
something of an ideal resource that could make it possible for researchers
to better communicate with one another. Unfortunately, they often don't
know how to develop Web sites. Or they simply don't have time to do any
site development work.

If this project is a success then it might serve as a helpful model
for how to do research in other areas of science such as developing new
sources of environmentally safe, affordable energy, and finding cures for
various illnesses etc.

THE OFFICIAL HOST FOR THE NEW WEB SITE

There is a tentative arrangement for the official host for this new
Web site to be the International Society Of Earthquake Precursors, a
nonprofit group that I understand is presently based in England. They have
the following Web site:

http://www.isfep.com

I myself don't have any formal links with that foundation or society.
My part in the effort would initially include getting the new Web site
organized and running. The ISEP group members unfortunately don't appear to
me to know too much about Web site development. Otherwise they would
probably have long ago created this type of site themselves.

HOW THE NEW WEB SITE MIGHT WORK

There would be one or more specially designed bulletin boards,
forums, or blogs where researchers could post notes.

Researchers who wanted to participate in Web site development efforts
such as having their own Web page for discussing Earthquake Cloud type
earthquake precursors might be given a subdirectory that they could use for
that on the Web site. Then they could create entire Web pages etc. on their
personal computers, attach their files to an E-mail, add a security word to
the E-mail, and then send it to a specific E-mail address associated with
the Web site. A CGI computer program running on the Web site would extract
the Web page or picture files etc. from that E-mail and automatically store
those files in that person's subdirectory. People around the world could
then see the new Web page etc. by visiting the Web site.

Researchers would probably also be able to get on the Internet,
access a special data entry screen at the Web site, copy their files to that
screen, add a security word, and hit the Submit button. Their files would
then be automatically stored in their personal subdirectory at the Web site.
So, a researcher would not need to have an Internet account or even his or
her own computer. He or she could do all of the Web page development work
by using a computer at a public library.

OTHER ALREADY EXISTING RESEARCH SERVICES

There are some existing groups that offer services that have some
similarities to this proposed new Web site. And if anyone would like to
recommend any of them for consideration then that information would be
appreciated. However, there are certain features that this new Web site
might have that other services do not offer.

For several examples,

There would not be any fee for using the service.

There would be an unusually high level of personal security.
Researchers would need only demonstrate that they could participate in the
effort in a responsible manner. They would not need to supply any personal
information such as a name, location, or even a contact E-mail address.
Site activities would be monitored by ISEP personnel and others. But if a
researcher wanted to remain totally anonymous, even ISEP personnel might not
know whom that person was or have any contact information for him or her.

So, if you were a geology professor teaching at a private university
and you wanted to create a Web page where you could discuss your theories
related to how earthquakes are being triggered, but the head of your
department had published numerous technical papers insisting that
earthquakes are completely random events, by using the new site you might be
able to discuss your theories in public without getting into trouble with
the boss (humor intended).

THE SELECTION OF A COMMERCIAL INTERNET SERVICE

The first step in this effort involves selecting a commercial Web
server that would actually host the domain name for the new Web site.
Squarespace http://www.squarespace.com appears to me to offer quite a few
advanced Web site development resources. But their service also appears to
me to be a lot more expensive than a number of other commercial servers.

If anyone has any strong recommendations for other commercial servers
to consider that offer unlimited bandwidth and Web page storage space and
also allow people to run CGI programs on the Web site then I would be
interested in hearing about them.

These are expressions of my personal opinion. They are not
necessarily the opinions of ISEP personnel. ISEP personnel will need to
give final approval for the project before it actually gets started. At the
moment it is just in the discussion phase.

Regards to all,

E.D.G.

Old August 7th 11, 07:21 AM posted to alt.disasters.misc,sci.astro,sci.geo.earthquakes
E.D.G.

"Brad Guth" wrote in message
Last time I'd posted links to your earthquake prediction stuff, Google
Groups version of Usenet/newsgroups went down. Perhaps that's still the
case.

Posted by E.D.G. August 7, 2011

I am afraid that I don't know enough about how the Internet works to propose
why such things might happen.

Old August 7th 11, 08:24 PM posted to alt.disasters.misc,sci.astro,sci.geo.earthquakes
Skywise

"E.D.G." wrote in
:

I am afraid that I don't know enough about how the Internet works...

Which explains a lot about why the WAY you propose to implement
this web site idea of yours to work is... well... let's just say
you're making things more complex than they need to be.

Based on the things you've described as wanting to be able to do
on this website, existing web forum software already exists that
can do or be adapted to do all those things - and they're free!!

This should give you a place to start:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...forum_software

Brian
Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?
Old August 8th 11, 03:55 AM posted to alt.disasters.misc,sci.astro,sci.geo.earthquakes
E.D.G.

"Brad Guth" wrote in message

Do you have any list of individuals, geology groups or government agencies
that happen to hate whatever you have to say?

Posted by E.D.G. August 7, 2011

As an experienced scientist I work on trying to help solve or at
least manage a wide variety of problems that threaten the health and lives
of people around the world. And one of the biggest surprises that I have
ever had in many years of doing scientific work was my eventual arriving at
the conclusion that the science of forecasting earthquakes and to a certain
extent, earthquake research in general, is largely controlled by a complex
maze of government and international scientific community politics rather
than true science, logic, and the laws of the universe.

One of the major goals of this proposed new Web site would be to try
to help separate earthquake forecasting science from all of the politics so
that some progress can be made.

The information at my existing Web sites is fairly bland. And it
would be difficult to see how anyone could get upset by it. However, there
are so many governments, research groups, and individual researchers who
have their own agendas with regard to this science that it would be
difficult or impossible to tell who likes or dislikes whom and what the
different parties are able or willing to do.

These are personal opinions.

E.D.G.

Old August 9th 11, 04:42 AM posted to alt.disasters.misc,sci.astro,sci.geo.earthquakes
E.D.G.

"Brad Guth" wrote in message

Public funded agencies are in a fight for their lives, so that pretty much
anything goes as long as only they get the credit for all the good stuff,
and thereby receive all of the public loot they can grab, because
otherwise they are unemployable. Clearly you are a threat to that outcome
where they win and the likes of outsiders always lose.

Posted by E.D.G. August 8, 2011

If there are any government agencies or other public agencies that
are opposed to the work that I am doing then in my opinion they are making a
major mistake. I have always been very strongly supportive of governments
providing funding for their own agencies and also for outside groups that
work on projects that intended to help solve or at least attempt to manage
problems that threaten the lives and health of people around the world.

One of the major problems here is that because of their fear of
criticism or controversy, people running government agencies are often so
conservative with regard to what they are willing to do that they enter into
a state of paralysis. And their already existing funding can eventually get
cut because their superiors don't see that any progress is being made.

A good way to get those government agencies moving is to demonstrate
at some public Web site etc. that effective progress can be made with some
life threatening problem such as forecasting earthquakes, without
frightening the general public. Government agency personnel can then go to
their superiors and say, "If the people running that Web site can do that
type of work without causing problem then you should allow Us to do that
same type of work." And with luck their bosses will then give them both
approval and some additional funding.

So, a major goal of this proposed new Web site would be to
demonstrate to various government agencies around the world how they can do
earthquake forecasting research etc. without getting into political hot
water.

These are personal opinions.

Old August 10th 11, 10:09 AM posted to alt.disasters.misc,sci.astro,sci.geo.earthquakes
E.D.G.

"Brad Guth" wrote in message

My advice is to start up your own public Usenet/newsgroup as hosted by
Google Groups, because those seem to be working just fine and dandy, and
you

Posted by E.D.G. August 10, 2011

Thanks for the suggestions.

This project would need quite a bit of Internet power including the
ability to run customized CGI programs at a Web site. The basic structure
of the project looks like it is now fairly well organized. The various
parties involved just need to get moving. This has to be a cooperative
effort. I don't plan to try doing the work on my own.

Old August 10th 11, 06:02 PM posted to alt.disasters.misc,sci.astro,sci.geo.earthquakes
Weatherlawyer[_2_]

On Aug 10, 10:09*am, "E.D.G." wrote:
"Brad Guth" wrote in message

My advice is to start up your own public Usenet/newsgroup as hosted by
Google Groups, because those seem to be working just fine and dandy, and
you

Thanks for the suggestions.

Hardly the bread of heaven at the moment. The trouble with Google is
their secrecy. Everyone knows it goes down badly once a year but
everyone thinks it is splendid.

It's that sort of thinking that made Bill Gates rich infamous.