Why Is Flat Earth Society Thriving?

Old June 6th 16, 08:50 AM posted to sci.astro
Pentcho Valev

Default Why Is Flat Earth Society Thriving?

http://www.cnet.com/news/neil-degras...flat-earthers/
"Neil DeGrasse Tyson says bad education creates Flat-Earthers. Real people can frustrate scientists. Some real people believe that the Earth is a mere 6,000 years old. Some, including rapper B.O.B., believe that it's possible to fall off the end of the Earth because it's flat. Pointing to a globe doesn't seem to help. In a conversation with the Huffington Post, astrophysicist Neil DeGrasse Tyson knows whom to blame for this parlous situation. "I blame the education system that can graduate someone into adulthood who cannot tell the difference between what is and is not true about this world," he said."

Correct. People naturally adopt the flat-earth idea because it is much less idiotic than what the educational system teaches:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2s1-RHuljo
Neil deGrasse Tyson: "As you travel faster (...) time ticks more slowly for you than it does for other people who are not."

http://www.bourbaphy.fr/damourtemps.pdf
Thibault Damour: "The paradigm of the special relativistic upheaval of the usual concept of time is the twin paradox. Let us emphasize that this striking example of time dilation proves that time travel (towards the future) is possible. As a gedanken experiment (if we neglect practicalities such as the technology needed for reaching velocities comparable to the velocity of light, the cost of the fuel and the capacity of the traveller to sustain high accelerations), it shows that a sentient being can jump, "within a minute" (of his experienced time) arbitrarily far in the future, say sixty million years ahead, and see, and be part of, what (will) happen then on Earth.. This is a clear way of realizing that the future "already exists" (as we can experience it "in a minute")."

In other words, if one is to choose between the flat-earth idea and the idea of "a cosmic conspiracy of the highest order", the former is less detrimental to the human mind:

https://www.amazon.com/Death-Black-H.../dp/039335038X
Neil deGrasse Tyson, Death by Black Hole: And Other Cosmic Quandaries, pp. 123-124: "If everyone, everywhere and at all times, is to measure the same speed for the beam from your imaginary spacecraft, a number of things have to happen. First of all, as the speed of your spacecraft increases, the length of everything - you, your measuring devices, your spacecraft - shortens in the direction of motion, as seen by everyone else. Furthermore, your own time slows down exactly enough so that when you haul out your newly shortened yardstick, you are guaranteed to be duped into measuring the same old constant value for the speed of light. What we have here is a cosmic conspiracy of the highest order."

https://plus.maths.org/content/einstein-relativity
David Tong: "Special relativity is where the famous equation E=mc^2 comes from. The central idea of the theory is that there is a speed limit in our Universe. The laws of physics conspire so that nothing can ever travel faster than the speed of light."

http://www.redorbit.com/news/space/1...-limit-042715/
Robert Scherrer: "In fact, the laws for adding and subtracting speeds have to conspire to keep the speed of the light the same no matter how fast or in what direction an observer is moving. The only way to make this happen is for space and time to expand or contact as objects move."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dc3-29dguFs
Brian Greene: "Einstein proposed a truly stunning idea - that space and time could work together, constantly adjusting by exactly the right amount so that no matter how fast you might be moving, when you measure the speed of light it always comes out to be 671000000 miles per hour."

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/physics...-nutshell.html
Brian Greene: "If space and time did not behave this way, the speed of light would not be constant and would depend on the observer's state of motion.. But it is constant; space and time do behave this way. Space and time adjust themselves in an exactly compensating manner so that observations of light's speed yield the same result, regardless of the observer's velocity."

Einsteinians do admit that their world is schizophrenic and science is dying - then why should the flat-earth idea be attacked?

http://www2.macleans.ca/2013/09/05/p...odern-physics/
Neil Turok: "It's the ultimate catastrophe: that theoretical physics has led to this crazy situation where the physicists are utterly confused and seem not to have any predictions at all."

http://www.math.columbia.edu/~woit/wordpress/?p=7266
Peter Woit: "As far as this stuff goes, we're now not only at John Horgan's "End of Science", but gone past it already and deep into something different."

http://archipope.over-blog.com/article-12278372.html
"Nous nous trouvons dans une période de mutation extrêmement profonde. Nous sommes en effet Ã* la fin de la science telle que l'Occident l'a connue », tel est constat actuel que dresse Jean-Marc Lévy-Leblond, physicien théoricien, épistémologue et directeur des collections scientifiques des Editions du Seuil."

https://edge.org/response-detail/11356
John Baez: "One of the big problems in physics - perhaps the biggest! - is figuring out how our two current best theories fit together. On the one hand we have the Standard Model, which tries to explain all the forces except gravity, and takes quantum mechanics into account. On the other hand we have General Relativity, which tries to explain gravity, and does not take quantum mechanics into account. Both theories seem to be more or less on the right track - but until we somehow fit them together, or completely discard one or both, our picture of the world will be deeply schizophrenic."

http://lecercle.lesechos.fr/economie...t-schizophrene
Marc Lachièze-Rey: "La physique est schizophrène (...) ...relativiste le matin, quantique le soir... mais schizophrène lorsqu'il tente de concilier les deux visions. C'est lÃ* que réside le problème fondamental de la physique d'aujourd'hui."

http://negrjp.fotoblog.uol.com.br/im...0819051851.jpg

Pentcho Valev
Old June 8th 16, 08:01 AM posted to sci.astro
Pentcho Valev

Einsteinians are not just brainwashing the gullible world - they are mercilessly destroying any remnants of rationality that could some day become dangerous for their cult:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/startswi...this-universe/
Ethan Siegel: "So why, then, did Stephen Hawking announce that it might be possible to escape from a black hole? Why did he announce, on stage at Harvard:

"They are not the eternal prisons they were once thought. If you feel you are trapped in a black hole, don’t give up. There is a way out."

Because he wasn’t talking about you. He was talking about the information that makes you up at the moment you fell in: when you crossed the event horizon. When objects fall into a black hole, they possess all sorts of information: was it matter or antimatter that fell in; baryons or leptons; electrons or muons; neutrinos or neutrons. Was the book that fell in The Grapes Of Wrath or The Count Of Monte Cristo? And what of the human who fell in; who was it and what were they like? [...] What Hawking’s latest paper actually says is much less fantastic than escape from a black hole; it says that whenever a new particle falls into the black hole, it changes the information encoded on the black hole’s surface. And since a black hole surface (and surface area, for that matter) is dependent on the mass/energy inside of it, as it decays, that information should make it out, scrambled but encoded in the outgoing Hawking radiation. Just as a burned book contains the information in the pages (albeit in a not-very-useful format), the outgoing Hawking radiation might encode the information about what fell in after all." [end of quotation]

Ethan Siegel:

http://pbs.twimg.com/media/CSvjJp-VEAAXmsg.jpg

Pentcho Valev
Old June 9th 16, 07:08 AM posted to sci.astro
Pentcho Valev

Einsteinians end up in complete madness but carry the world along with them:

http://www.catholic.org/news/technol...y.php?id=69335
"Michio Kaku believes he has found evidence for God in his work. Kaku is a well respected scientist, who has helped pioneer String Theory of the universe, the idea that the universe is formed by many different dimensions of space and time. String Theory is very complex and requires a significant background in physics to explain, but it is favored by many scientists because it succinctly answers many of the questions they have about the universe. [...] While working on String Theory, Kaku, discovered what he sees as evidence that the universe is created by an intelligence, rather than merely formed by random forces. He suggests he can explain it by what he calls, "primitive semi-radius tachyons." We do not yet have a succinct explanation of this idea from Kaku, other than he's referring to tachyons, which are theoretical particles that unbind particles from one another. Without getting into physics itself, Kaku concludes that we live in a Matrix-style universe, created by an intelligence. "I have concluded that we are in a world made by rules created by an intelligence", he said. "Believe me, everything that we call chance today won't make sense anymore. To me it is clear that we exists in a plan which is governed by rules that were created, shaped by a universal intelligence and not by chance."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuxFXHircaI
Michio Kaku, Brian Cox, Neil deGrasse Tyson, Brian Greene, Lisa Randall: "Now, listen carefully. The faster you move, the heavier you get. Light travels at the same speed no matter how you look at it. No matter how I move relative to you light travels at the same speed. No matter who is doing the measurement and no matter what direction you are moving the speed of light is the same. The speed of light is the same no matter what direction or how fast... As you travel faster time slows down. Everything slows down. Everything slows down. Time slows down when you move. Time passes at a different rate. Clocks run slow. It's a monumental shift in how we see the world. It's a beautiful piece of science. It's a beautifully elegant theory. It's a beautiful piece of science. It's a beautiful piece..."

Pentcho Valev