Daily Report #5032

Old February 12th 10, 02:42 PM posted to sci.astro.hubble
Cooper, Joe

Default Daily Report #5032

HUBBLE SPACE TELESCOPE - Continuing to Collect World Class Science

DAILY REPORT #5032

PERIOD COVERED: 5am February 11 - 5am February 12, 2010 (DOY 042/10:00z-043/10:00z)

OBSERVATIONS SCHEDULED

COS/FUV 11997

FUV Internal/External Wavelength Scale Monitor

This program monitors the offsets between the wavelength scale set by
the internal wavecal versus that defined by absorption lines in
external targets. This is accomplished by observing two external
targets in the SMC: SK191 with G130M and G160M and Cl* NGC 330 ROB B37
with G140L (SK191 is too bright to be observed with G140L). The
cenwaves observed in this program are a subset of the ones used during
Cycle 17. Observing all cenwaves would require a considerably larger
number of orbits. Constraints on scheduling of each target are placed
so that each target is observed once every ~2-3 months. Observing the
two targets every month would also require a considerably larger
number of orbits.

STIS/CCD 11844

CCD Dark Monitor Part 1

The purpose of this proposal is to monitor the darks for the STIS CCD.

STIS/CCD 11846

CCD Bias Monitor-Part 1

The purpose of this proposal is to monitor the bias in the 1x1, 1x2,
2x1, and 2x2 bin settings at gain=1, and 1x1 at gain = 4, to build up
high-S/N superbiases and track the evolution of hot columns.

WFC3/ACS/IR 11563

Galaxies at z~7-10 in the Reionization Epoch: Luminosity Functions to
0.2L* from Deep IR Imaging of the HUDF and HUDF05 Fields

The first generations of galaxies were assembled around redshifts
z~7-10+, just 500-800 Myr after recombination, in the heart of the
reionization of the universe. We know very little about galaxies in
this period. Despite great effort with HST and other telescopes, less
than ~15 galaxies have been reliably detected so far at z7,
contrasting with the ~1000 galaxies detected to date at z~6, just
200-400 Myr later, near the end of the reionization epoch. WFC3 IR can
dramatically change this situation, enabling derivation of the galaxy
luminosity function and its shape at z~7-8 to well below L*,
measurement of the UV luminosity density at z~7-8 and z~8-9, and
estimates of the contribution of galaxies to reionization at these
epochs, as well as characterization of their properties (sizes,
structure, colors). A quantitative leap in our understanding of early
galaxies, and the timescales of their buildup, requires a total sample
of ~100 galaxies at z~7-8 to ~29 AB mag. We can achieve this with 192
WFC3 IR orbits on three disjoint fields (minimizing cosmic variance):
the HUDF and the two nearby deep fields of the HUDF05. Our program
uses three WFC3 IR filters, and leverages over 600 orbits of existing
ACS data, to identify, with low contamination, a large sample of over
100 objects at z~7-8, a very useful sample of ~23 at z~8-9, and limits
at z~10. By careful placement of the WFC3 IR and parallel ACS
pointings, we also enhance the optical ACS imaging on the HUDF and a
HUDF05 field. We stress (1) the need to go deep, which is paramount to
define L*, the shape, and the slope alpha of the luminosity function
(LF) at these high redshifts; and (2) the far superior performance of
our strategy, compared with the use of strong lensing clusters, in
detecting significant samples of faint z~7-8 galaxies to derive their
luminosity function and UV ionizing flux. Our recent z~7.4 NICMOS
results show that wide-area IR surveys, even of GOODS-like depth,
simply do not reach faint enough at z~7-9 to meet the LF and UV flux
objectives. In the spirit of the HDF and the HUDF, we will waive any
proprietary period, and will also deliver the reduced data to STScI.
The proposed data will provide a Legacy resource of great value for a
wide range of archival science investigations of galaxies at redshifts
z~2-9. The data are likely to remain the deepest IR/optical images
until JWST is launched, and will provide sources for spectroscopic
followup by JWST, ALMA and EVLA.

WFC3/ACS/UVIS/IR 11570

Narrowing in on the Hubble Constant and Dark Energy

A measurement of the Hubble constant to a precision of a few percent
would be a powerful aid to the investigation of the nature of dark
energy and a potent "end-to end" test of the present cosmological
model. In Cycle 15 we constructed a new streamlined distance ladder
utilizing high- quality type Ia supernova data and observations of
Cepheids with HST in the near-IR to minimize the dominant sources of
systematic uncertainty in past measurements of the Hubble constant and
reduce its total uncertainty to a little under 5%. Here we propose to
exploit this new route to reduce the remaining uncertainty by more
than 30%, translating into an equal reduction in the uncertainty of
the equation of state of dark energy. We propose three sets of
observations to reach this goal: a mosaic of NGC 4258 with WFC3 in
F160W to triple its sample of long period Cepheids, WFC3/F160W
observations of the 6 ideal SN Ia hosts to triple their samples of
Cepheids, and observations of NGC 5584 the host of a new SN Ia, SN
2007af, to discover and measure its Cepheids and begin expanding the
small set of SN Ia luminosity calibrations. These observations would
provide the bulk of a coordinated program aimed at making the
measurement of the Hubble constant one of the leading constraints on
dark energy.

WFC3/UV/S/C 12054

Generic Offset Slew Correction Check

This proposal is designed to verify that the GENSLEW safe target
offset capability is properly positioning the spacecraft where desired
in an end-to-end sense. This dataset will verify that the various
calculation and coordinate transformations are correct from their
specification within APT through to their execution on-orbit.

WFC3/UVI/IR 11557

The Nature of Low-Ionization BAL QSOs

The rare subclass of optically-selected QSOs known as low-ionization
broad absorption line (LoBAL) QSOs show signs of high-velocity gas
outflows and reddened continua indicative of dust obscuration. Recent
studies show that galaxies hosting LoBAL QSOs tend to be ultraluminous
infrared systems that are undergoing mergers, and that have dominant
young ( 100 Myr) stellar populations. Such studies support the idea
that LoBAL QSOs represent a short- lived phase early in the life of
QSOs, when powerful AGN-driven winds are blowing away the dust and gas
surrounding the QSO. If so, understanding LoBALs would be critical in
the study of phenomena regulating black hole and galaxy evolution,
such as AGN feedback and the early stages of nuclear accretion. These
results, however, come from very small samples that may have serious
selection biases. We are therefore taking a more aggressive approach
by conducting a systematic multiwavelength study of a volume limited
sample of LoBAL QSOs at 0.5 z 0.6 drawn from SDSS. We propose to
image their host galaxies in two bands using WFC3/UVIS and WFC3/IR to
study the morphologies for signs of recent tidal interactions and to
map their interaction and star forming histories. We will thus
determine whether LoBAL QSOs are truly exclusively found in young
merging systems that are likely to be in the early stages of nuclear
accretion.

WFC3/UVIS 11730

Continued Proper Motions of the Magellanic Clouds: Orbits, Internal
Kinematics, and Distance

In Cycles 11 and 13 we obtained two epochs of ACS/HRC data for fields
in the Magellanic Clouds centered on background quasars. We used these
data to determine the proper motions of the LMC and SMC to better than
5% and 15% respectively. The results had a number of unexpected
implications for the Milky Way-LMC-SMC system and received
considerable attention in the literature and in the press. The implied
three-dimensional velocities are larger than previously believed and
close to the escape velocity in a standard 10^12 solar mass Milky Way
dark halo. Our orbit calculations suggest the Clouds may not be bound
to the Milky Way or may just be on their first passage, both of which
are unexpected in view of traditional interpretations of the
Magellanic Stream. Alternatively, the Milky Way dark halo may be a
factor two more massive than previously believed, which would be
surprising in view of other observational constraints. Also, the
relative velocity between the LMC and SMC was larger than expected,
leaving open the possibility that the Clouds may not be bound to each
other. To further verify and refine our results we requested an
additional epoch data in Cycle 16 which is being executed with
WFPC2/PC due to the failure of ACS. A detailed analysis of one LMC
field shows that the field proper motion using all three epochs of
data is consistent within 1-sigma with the two- epoch data, thus
verifying that there are no major systematic effects in our previous
measurements. The random errors, however, are only smaller by a factor
of 1.4 because of the relatively large errors in the WFPC2 data. A
prediction for a fourth epoch with measurement errors similar to
epochs 1 and 2 shows that the uncertainties will improve by a factor
of 3. This will allow us to better address whether the Clouds are
indeed bound to each other and to the Milky Way. It will also allow us
to constrain the internal motions of various populations within the
Clouds, and to determine a distance to the LMC using rotational
parallax. Continuation of this highly successful program is therefore
likely to provide important additional insights. Execution in SNAPshot
mode guarantees maximally efficient use of HST resources.

WFC3/UVIS 11905

WFC3 UVIS CCD Daily Monitor

The behavior of the WFC3 UVIS CCD will be monitored daily with a set
of full-frame, four-amp bias and dark frames. A smaller set of 2Kx4K
subarray biases are acquired at less frequent intervals throughout the
cycle to support subarray science observations. The internals from
this proposal, along with those from the anneal procedure (Proposal
11909), will be used to generate the necessary superbias and superdark
reference files for the calibration pipeline (CDBS).

WFC3/UVIS 11908

Cycle 17: UVIS Bowtie Monitor

Ground testing revealed an intermittent hysteresis type effect in the
UVIS detector (both CCDs) at the level of ~1%, lasting hours to days.
Initially found via an unexpected bowtie-shaped feature in flatfield
ratios, subsequent lab tests on similar e2v devices have since shown
that it is also present as simply an overall offset across the entire
CCD, i.e., a QE offset without any discernable pattern. These lab
tests have further revealed that overexposing the detector to count
levels several times full well fills the traps and effectively
neutralizes the bowtie. Each visit in this proposal acquires a set of
three 3x3 binned internal flatfields: the first unsaturated image will
be used to detect any bowtie, the second, highly exposed image will
neutralize the bowtie if it is present, and the final image will allow
for verification that the bowtie is gone.

FLIGHT OPERATIONS SUMMARY:

investigated.)

HSTARS For DOY 029 and 037:

12187 - OTA SE review of PTAS processing revealed that REAcq(2,1,1) at
2010/029:12:28:35 required multiple attempts to achieve Coarse Track
Data Valid.

12188 - OTA SE review of PTAS processing revealed that REAcq(2,3,3) at
2010/037:10:30:43 required multiple attempts to achieve Coarse Track
Data Valid.

COMPLETED OPS REQUEST: (None)

COMPLETED OPS NOTES: (None)

SCHEDULED SUCCESSFUL
FGS GSAcq 08 08
FGS REAcq 07 07
OBAD with Maneuver 04 04

SIGNIFICANT EVENTS: (None)

Daily Report Cooper, Joe Hubble 0 December 22nd 08 06:17 PM
Daily Report #4571 Cooper, Joe Hubble 0 March 20th 08 03:16 PM
Daily Report #4568 Cooper, Joe Hubble 0 March 17th 08 03:44 PM
Daily Report [email protected] Hubble 0 October 29th 04 04:59 PM
HST Daily Report 131 George Barbehenn Hubble 0 May 11th 04 02:48 PM