NASA Studying Russian 12-month Plan

Old April 19th 04, 06:36 PM
JimO

Default NASA Studying Russian 12-month Plan

Any progress on NASA's studying
the Russian proposal for the next ISS
crew to stay up for 12 months?

From what i can hear, there's
a major internal debate over this
idea -- go for it, or be cautious.

Old April 20th 04, 01:47 AM
LooseChanj

On or about Mon, 19 Apr 2004 17:36:59 GMT, JimO
made the sensational claim that:
From what i can hear, there's
a major internal debate over this
idea -- go for it, or be cautious.

I would have thought the 'debate' would be about how best to delude themselves
into believing this is a 'good NASA idea' as opposed to kissing russian ass yet
again.
--
This is a siggy | To E-mail, do note | Just because something
It's properly formatted | who you mean to reply-to | is possible, doesn't

Old April 20th 04, 01:11 PM
JimO

"Doug..." wrote in
Well, the issue has apparently been decided. NASA turned thumbs-down to
the plan, according to a variety of sources.

"A variety of sources" means my article on msnbc.com, and NASA PAO's
tacky response: I called them yesterday noon for confirmation of what I had
learend re the April 6 Kostelnik memo, and before I got their answer,
they had emailed out a statement to two dozen other space journalists
with the information that I had shaken loose (no mention of me).
Fortunately, I had
not let their delays slow down posting our msnbc.com article first. Now they
say
their mass mailing was just in response to long-standing interest expressed
by
these newsmen from an earlier press conference -- but the Kostelnik memo was
sent
on April 6, and it wasn't until April 19, two hours after MY fact-check
inquiry,
that they sent out the news about it. I believe in cause-and-effect, not
mere
coincidence, in this case.

Old April 20th 04, 02:38 PM
jeff findley

"JimO" writes:

Any progress on NASA's studying
the Russian proposal for the next ISS
crew to stay up for 12 months?

From what i can hear, there's
a major internal debate over this
idea -- go for it, or be cautious.

I find some of the comments (in your article) by NASA astronauts very
disturbing. They make it sound like they wouldn't consider taking
that long of a mission. If that's the case, perhaps NASA needs to
"clean house" very soon. If we aren't flying astronauts now that are
willing to perform long duration missions, how do we ever expect to
get to Mars?

If there really are medical issues with flights this long, wouldn't it
be prudent to find out about them a.s.a.p.? If this does turn out to
be the case, the solution could be an engineering one. You split your
ship into two parts, separated by a long cable, and spin the thing for
the trip to and from Mars. If it turns out such a solution is
necessary, it would be nice to know about this as far in advance as
possible so prototype designs can be built and tested in LEO.

Jeff
--
Remove "no" and "spam" from email address to reply.
If it says "This is not spam!", it's surely a lie.
Old April 20th 04, 07:20 PM
John Doe

During the Soyuz launch, the NASA commentator made a most interesting comment.
He mentioned that Fincke was going up for a 6 month mission, but omitted
Padalka's name.

That would lead me to believe that perhaps Padalka might stay for one year.

And it would put the rather last minute change in crews in perspective as
well. Perhaps Padalka is "compatible" with both Fincke and the next american
to come up, wheras the previous russian wasn't.

Of course, this is based on the assumption that the PAO commentator would have
been told to carefully not mention the russian crewmember's mission duration.
Old April 20th 04, 07:23 PM
Doug...

In article ,
says...
"JimO" writes:

Any progress on NASA's studying
the Russian proposal for the next ISS
crew to stay up for 12 months?

From what i can hear, there's
[...]

Yeah -- I half-expected to see a line like "NASA consultant Bob Haller
said, 'We're never going to fly anyone for that long -- it's an
invitation to disaster! Hell, just going into space is too risky. We
should just sit and shove our thumbs up our own asses and let countries
who have no respect for my definition of 'safety' risk THEIR necks
exploring space."

But seriously, there does seem to be a bad rash of chicken-little
thinking going on here. If Chiao doesn't want to be away from his
family for a whole year, **** him -- find one of the astronauts who
doesn't mind and give the flight to him/her. If the doctors are playing
chicken little, find doctors who can judge based on the facts and not
their "gut feelings" on the subject.

Then again, America is becoming a gutless society whose members would
rather sit in locked homes in terror that some bearded monkey might fly
an airliner into their neighborhood than go out and live their lives --
so this decision doesn't surprise me in the least.

Doug

Old April 21st 04, 02:08 AM
JimO

In principle, couldn't qualified ESA 'Soyuz commanders' such as Reiter or
Haignere be the commander?

From: John Doe

That would lead me to believe that perhaps Padalka might stay for one

year.

There's no financial advantage for them to keep him up a year, because

every
Soyuz will require a Russian commander, even if the other two seats were

sold
for cash.

DF