Meade DSI ccd Imager

Old May 13th 05, 04:41 AM
Richard Carlson

Default Meade DSI ccd Imager

Anyone got one of these? What kind of success have you had with it? What
size scope and what is a typical stack of Images for a deep sky photos?
(i.e. 20 30-sec stack images ideal for most situations?) I've got a 5' f/5
refractor and a 5' f/12 mak. Pictures of the moon and Saturn look pretty
good a 60X with the Mak. Will need to use a 2x or 3x barlow to see what
kind of detail can be had with Saturn and Juipter. Let me know what your
impressions are of this camera and what your success rate has been
photographing various Messier objects, planets, etc. I'd be interested in
hearing from anyone on this subject. I'm new to this kind of thing and it
intrigues me.

Richard
Old May 13th 05, 09:04 AM
George

"Richard Carlson" wrote in message
Anyone got one of these? What kind of success have you had with it? What
size scope and what is a typical stack of Images for a deep sky photos?
(i.e. 20 30-sec stack images ideal for most situations?) I've got a 5' f/5
refractor and a 5' f/12 mak. Pictures of the moon and Saturn look pretty
good a 60X with the Mak. Will need to use a 2x or 3x barlow to see what
kind of detail can be had with Saturn and Juipter. Let me know what your
impressions are of this camera and what your success rate has been
photographing various Messier objects, planets, etc. I'd be interested in
hearing from anyone on this subject. I'm new to this kind of thing and it
intrigues me.

Richard

You have a 5 feet diameter refractor? Must be a hell of a concrete pad you've
got it sitting on! lol

Old May 13th 05, 01:25 PM
Richard Carlson

George wrote:

[...]

OK, I've got some typos. Is this newsgroup swamped with idiots also? Seems
to be a lot of them surfing the newsgroups. I guess the lack of intelligent
discourse is what brings them all out , as you can also find them in
'sci.astro.amateur' too.

Back to my original questions please. . .

Old May 13th 05, 02:09 PM
George

George wrote:

[...]

Sorry Richard. No offense intended. I just couldn't resist. :-)

Back to your question. My understanding is that for the money, it works pretty
well. Having said that, if it had been available at the time I bought my SAC
IVD (good for planetary work only), I would have bought the Meade DSI Pro with
the color filters. In fact, if I ever do get some money to blow in the near
future, that is likely what I will buy. Here is a link to the DSI Pro:

http://www.meade.com/dsipro/index.html

I'd love to have one of those ST-8XEs, but I like my wife too much to risk a
divorce. :-)

Old May 21st 05, 09:22 PM
CheezWiz

OK, I've got some typos. Is this newsgroup swamped with idiots also? Seems
to be a lot of them surfing the newsgroups. I guess the lack of
intelligent
discourse is what brings them all out , as you can also find them in
'sci.astro.amateur' too.

Back to my original questions please. . .

How about back to a decent sense of humor....
Many of us idiots like to laugh with each other, not at each other.
geez..

If USENET is too full of idiots, then go to a moderated site.

Old May 23rd 05, 02:09 PM

Richard Carlson wrote:

SNIP

OK, I've got some typos. Is this newsgroup swamped with idiots also?

Seems
to be a lot of them surfing the newsgroups. I guess the lack of

intelligent
discourse is what brings them all out , as you can also find them in

'sci.astro.amateur' too.

SNIP

Two points spring to mind:

1) Why not take more care with your typing then people wouldn't point
out the mistakes to you?

2) If you expect answers from this or any other group a sense of
humour and some manners will get you answers - the kind of rudeness you
exhibit won't.

Regards,

Tim Kearsley

Old May 24th 05, 12:26 AM
George

wrote in message
oups.com...

Richard Carlson wrote:

SNIP

OK, I've got some typos. Is this newsgroup swamped with idiots also?

Seems
to be a lot of them surfing the newsgroups. I guess the lack of

intelligent
discourse is what brings them all out , as you can also find them in

'sci.astro.amateur' too.

SNIP

Two points spring to mind:

1) Why not take more care with your typing then people wouldn't point
out the mistakes to you?

2) If you expect answers from this or any other group a sense of
humour and some manners will get you answers - the kind of rudeness you
exhibit won't.

Regards,

Tim Kearsley

Obviously, he gave up. If he had been a little patient, he would have gotten
his answer.

Old May 24th 05, 07:50 AM

George wrote:

Obviously, he gave up. If he had been a little patient, he would

have gotten
his answer.

I just find it incredible that someone has so little sense of humour
and is so rude when they are expecting people to answer questions and
help!

Regards,

Tim.

Old May 24th 05, 03:22 PM
Richard Carlson

Thankyou David for your post. You're the first person to answer some of my
thoughts about the DSI Meade Imager.

Richard
Old May 24th 05, 09:09 PM
David Nakamoto

People are, by and large, fragmented in their psyches and mind. Cause and
effect, choices and consequences, are thought of as separate issues, not
connected. I'm sure many don't see that they perform the very actions that they
despise in others.

There's also the issue of the original poster gracefully accepting the fact that
he did the same typo twice in the same message, among other ones, but along with
humor, humbleness seems to be lacking in some people.

Just because someone can type, learn how to use a computer, or even write
cogently, does not mean they're intelligent, and/or have some social graces,
and/or that they can even think.

But getting back to the original question.

I suspect that eventually, if not already, someone will post images to a website
taken with the new Meade camera. I suspect, however, that it has limited
capability. Stacking is not a substitute for obtaining a single high
signal-to-noise ratio image through a long exposure, as I've experienced myself.
It can and does work for the brighter "faint fuzzies" but not for fainter ones.
It's not a question of recording the object, but a question of the quality of
the final image.

Whether this is a cheap way to start Astroimaging is debatable. Whether one
should go this route should be based on the technical merits of the camera, the
technical support you're going to get from Meade (an issue with which I've have
lots of first-hand experience, and of which I recommend "don't count on it") and
how far this camera will take you. I personally recommend SBIG or Starlight
Xpress or a web camera, depending on your needs.

I'm sure there are other technical issues I've not thought of.

Sincerely,
--- Dave

Pinprick holes in a colorless sky
Let inspired figures of light pass by