Europa Jupiter System Mission

Old July 25th 09, 05:23 AM posted to alt.astronomy

Default Europa Jupiter System Mission

Assuming we find life in Europa's 100km-deep ocean, which is real
possibility, how will most people react?

Will that be the final nail in the coffin of human-centric creationism?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europa_...System_Mission

Old July 25th 09, 08:00 AM posted to alt.astronomy
Mark Earnest

wrote in message
Assuming we find life in Europa's 100km-deep ocean, which is real
possibility, how will most people react?

Will that be the final nail in the coffin of human-centric creationism?

Same thing would happen as when Galileo got in trouble with the Church
when he found more than seven heavenly bodies with his trusty
telescope.

Old July 25th 09, 04:44 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Hagar

wrote in message
Assuming we find life in Europa's 100km-deep ocean, which is real
possibility, how will most people react?

Will that be the final nail in the coffin of human-centric creationism?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europa_...System_Mission

Don't bet on it. I'm sure the religious honchos of the world have already
prepared for the possibility of extra terrestrial life. They'll just ever so
slightly adjust their irrational incantations to: "In the beginning, Gawd
created the heavens and the Earth. On his way out, he dribbled his
sperm on all the planets and moons." Problem solved.

Old July 26th 09, 06:45 PM posted to alt.astronomy

"Hagar" wrote in message ...

wrote in message
Assuming we find life in Europa's 100km-deep ocean, which is real
possibility, how will most people react?

Will that be the final nail in the coffin of human-centric creationism?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europa_...System_Mission

Don't bet on it. I'm sure the religious honchos of the world have already
prepared for the possibility of extra terrestrial life. They'll just ever so
slightly adjust their irrational incantations to: "In the beginning, Gawd
created the heavens and the Earth. On his way out, he dribbled his
sperm on all the planets and moons." Problem solved.

Even with NASA's prototypes and testing, this mission still sounds
incredible, e.g. if Europa's ice turns out to be 15 or 20km thick,
what are the chances their robot will be able to drill through it?
They can't even do that on Earth, as far as I know.

I'm also wondering if a way exists to detect signs of life without
actually drilling into Europa's ocean? Think about that a while
before you answer.

Old July 27th 09, 07:12 AM posted to alt.astronomy
Mark Earnest

wrote in message
"Hagar" wrote in message

wrote in message
[...]

If there is life, the ice won't matter.
As all life, it will be struggling to make itself known.

Old July 27th 09, 05:42 PM posted to alt.astronomy

Still no friends, eh kid?

Loser.

"Saul Levy" wrote in message news
If you have ice, make ICED DRINKS, Mark! lmfjao!

Saul Levy

Old July 27th 09, 06:06 PM posted to alt.astronomy
BradGuth

On Jul 24, 9:23*pm, wrote:
Assuming we find life in Europa's 100km-deep ocean, which is real
possibility, how will most people react?

Will that be the final nail in the coffin of human-centric creationism?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europa_...System_Mission

Since most people will have become minimal employed or unemployed,
without an affordable home, transportation, energy or much less
sufficient food or medical care by then, what do you think?

~ BG
Old July 27th 09, 06:14 PM posted to alt.astronomy
BradGuth

On Jul 26, 10:45*am, wrote:
"Hagar" wrote in messagenews:as6dnVSdGorNtfbXnZ2dnUVZ_gednZ2d@gigan ews.com...

wrote in message
[...]

Yes, we have sufficient technology as of decades ago, as well as
really good stuff as of today, and as such there's no apparent forms
of complex life to behold on Europa, although simple forms of
fundamental biology could certainly exist, and of course the "Directed
Panspermia" option is still very much alive, if not having mutated
into whatever it took in order to survive.

Perhaps we need to reconsider “Directed Panspermia” / F. H. C. CRICK /
1972
http://profiles.nlm.nih.gov/SC/B/C/C/P/_/scbccp.pdf

Old July 27th 09, 06:22 PM posted to alt.astronomy
BradGuth

On Jul 26, 11:12*pm, "Mark Earnest" wrote:
wrote in message

"Hagar" wrote in message
m...

wrote in message
[...]

Thick ice or even enough dry ice is actually a very good thermal
insulator, as well as nearly the ideal radiation shield. Human and
most other DNA as we know of can't withstand all that much radiation,
and we certainly need to keep warm. A thick layer of water ice would
be ideal, especially of the planet or moon itself offered the usual
kinds of raw elements and it's own forms of local energy.

Old July 27th 09, 11:35 PM posted to alt.astronomy

wrote in message
[...]

Brad, what "sufficient technology" are you referring to?