Land of Mt. Hood and the Source of the East Wind

Old July 6th 15, 12:16 AM posted to alt.astronomy
Double-A[_4_]

Default Land of Mt. Hood and the Source of the East Wind

On Sunday, July 5, 2015 at 1:40:48 PM UTC-7, G=EMC^2TreBert wrote:
On Friday, July 3, 2015 at 5:05:48 PM UTC-7, Double-A wrote:
Looks like we're stuck with high temperatures for the foreseeable future. I might have to start believing in global warming.

The library will be closed tomorrow. There seems to be no fireworks display in Gresham anymore. The first fireworks display I can remember was in Gresham. My old home town of Corbett now has a big display, but it is 10 miles further east of here and it is off the bus lines.

So it looks like I'll have to entertain myself.

Double-A

AA I'm depressed.Another weekend and no beach weather.Here it is the 5th of July and its very cool and cloudy.I bought a nice swim shorts,and have not worn them yet.It use to be rain that kept me off Revere Beach,but can never say rain kept me from Huntington Beach. I think I might stay up on Mt.Baldy and paint the view.Become a mountain man.Its only about 40 miles away..Bert

Do they have skiing on Mt. Baldy? There has been nothing BUT beach weather here! Constantly in the 90s. Only problem for me is how to get to a beach. I could take a bus down to Glenn Otto Park in Troutdale. There is no sand there, but you can get your feet wet in the Sandy River. Some bathing beauties go there. Sit on the rocks, I guess. I knew Glenn Otto. Glenn Otto was a friend of mine. And now they have a park named after him! I have no swim shorts, but with a pair of scissors I could have cutoffs!

Haven't been many people around on the streets over this weekend. People tend to leave town and fill up the campgrounds, or take their campers on fishing trips on these summer holiday weekends. I could fish for steelhead in the Sandy River I suppose. It's a traditional spot for that.

Double-A
Old July 6th 15, 01:14 AM posted to alt.astronomy
G=EMC^2TreBert

On Sunday, July 5, 2015 at 4:16:06 PM UTC-7, Double-A wrote:
[...]

No snow on Mt.Baldy even in January.The beaches have never been this cool.At my age I have to watch out for my body temperature.I still andfeel a little weak and my last operation is now a month ago.Anxious to sail my new boat and try out the motor I made for it.Two people I got to be friends with Betty and Frank went to Hawaii,and so is Warren Ho and his wife. Warren is staying three weeks WOW he is Chinese and is a millionaire.Got to know him through M&M.He lives in Fullerton,and that is just north of Amaheim. I need a vacation at Huntington Beach and that is only 30 miles away.TreBert
Old July 6th 15, 08:29 PM posted to alt.astronomy
G=EMC^2TreBert

On Wednesday, February 25, 2015 at 5:31:40 PM UTC-8, Double-A wrote:
Mt. Hood looms much larger were I am living now. Many things there are named after it: Mt. Hood Community College, The Hood Theater, and Hood Drive. Some things have been named after the east wind too, such as the East Wind Apartments. The east wind is the dominant wind there in the winter. In summer it is nice though, and stays a little cooler than downtown Portland.

Today I am back over in the Cedar Mills Library, since I don't have my Multnomah County library card yet. After lunch with Kim downtown, I came up here. It is currently 51F here with a slight sprinkling of rain starting. Should be dry again in a couple day.

A few days ago I walked over to the Mt. Hood Community College campus. I spent 2 years in school there. Much has changed, but old memories still remain.

"The years run too short and the days too fast
The things you lean on are the things that don't last
Well it's just now and then my line gets cast into these
Time passages
There's something back here that you left behind
Oh time passages
Buy me a ticket on the last train home tonight

A girl comes towards you
You once used to know
You reach out your hand
But you're all alone, in these
Time passages
I know you're in there, you're just out of sight
Time passages
Buy me a ticket on the last train home tonight" - Al Stewart

At first I felt a little lost, but then I came upon a spot I clearly remembered. It was where I had gone out there and watched a speech by then President Jimmy Carter in the late 70's. He was the first President I had seen in person! A helicopter brought him in, and Iranian students hiding their faces were demonstrating against the Shaw of Iran.

I finally found the lake that they made by damming up the local creek. I once drove a car across that dam! But if I were to try it now, I would run into a fence. I now must give up any hope of wetting a line in that trout stocked pond, as fishing is now limited to those under 17. Well, that's how I always thought it should be.

I found the basketball court with the dome shaped roof. It is a paraboloid shaped roof which gives an interesting echoic effect at its center. They have wisely covered much of the ceiling with acoustic tile.

There used to be tables and chairs on the east side where students could sit. But now it's all basketball floor. That's were I used to sit and talk with Greta and Susan in those pleasant times.

"The day is here,
The time has come
When I go see my darling love.
But why is she not here today
Where she has always been before?
I wait for you,
But you come not. - AA

I went to the corner of Kane Dr. and Stark St. to look for the stone mile post marker for mile 14 from Portland. It was there back in 1969 when I checked. This were set down every mile along Stark about 150 years ago. Stark led to the Stark St. Ferry, which was the only way to cross the Willamette River back then, before they built the bridges in Portland. The Community College has put up a sign at that corner and surrounded it with rocks and other landscaping. But no sign of the historic mile stone. You would think that the administrators of a college of all people would have some respect for history!

Double-A

July 6 and still to cool to be on the beach. Go figure TreBert
Old July 6th 15, 11:18 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Double-A[_4_]

On Sunday, July 5, 2015 at 5:14:08 PM UTC-7, G=EMC^2TreBert wrote:
[...]

Didn't Warren have a corporate jet you could have hitched a ride on?

Only 87F right now here in Gresham as of 3:00 PM, but it's expected to reach 91F a couple hours from now. Lots of sunshine!

Went this morning to a Volunteers of America thrift store that is going out of business and is giving 75% off! I got 7 VHS movies, 3 music CDs, and a hard back book for only a little over 5 dollars! Even those in the thrift store business cannot make it in this economy!

Double-A

Old July 7th 15, 07:54 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Double-A[_4_]

Only 70F as of 11:30 AM PDT here in Gresham. Expected high is 87F.

As my bus pulled in at the transit center, the driver drove it so close to the curb that the bus scraped bottom! Then I ran over to try catch the transfer bus which usually leaves immediately. There were 3 of those buses sitting there, and a crowed of people grumbling that it was 2 minutes passed time for a bus to leave, but the driver of the front bus said he wasn't leaving for another 12 minutes. The driver of the next bus back was eating his lunch. And the last bus in the line was empty. So I decided I could walk to the library just as fast, and left. But half way there, a bus goes by! Somebody wasn't running on schedule! The joys of public transportation.

I am scouting around for a place to fish. Of course a bus goes down to the Sandy River. I don't know if my old steelhead rod is still in my locker. Can only fish for steelhead and salmon on the lower stretch of that river. Trout have to be thrown back. On the upper stretch of river, only trout fishing is allowed, and you can keep what you catch, but that is way up in the woods, and no bus goes near there.

There is a bus that goes withing 1.6 miles of nearby Blue Lake. There is a public park there. No admission except for parking a car. The lake is stocked with trout. There are also bass, bluegills, crappies, and catfish. You can keep what you catch. There is also Lake Fairview right next to Blue Lake. But it is not stocked and only has catfish and carp. I know I have some fishing equipment still in my locker.

Double-A

Old July 8th 15, 10:13 AM posted to alt.astronomy
Steve

On Wednesday, February 25, 2015 at 8:31:40 PM UTC-5, Double-A wrote:
Mt. Hood looms much larger were I am living now. Many things there are named after it: Mt. Hood Community College, The Hood Theater, and Hood Drive. Some things have been named after the east wind too, such as the East Wind Apartments. The east wind is the dominant wind there in the winter. In summer it is nice though, and stays a little cooler than downtown Portland.

At first I felt a little lost, but then I came upon a spot I clearly remembered. It was where I had gone out there and watched a speech by then President Jimmy Carter in the late 70's. He was the first President I had seen in person! A helicopter brought him in, and Iranian students hiding their faces were demonstrating against the Shaw of Iran.

Jimmy Carter came up here to build houses. Bridgeport Ont., A village once upon a time; now part of the city of Kitchener, Ont. My home town, and the city I currently reside in. I would only live in a couple of other towns: NYC and London Ont. Vancouver Canada sucks. It's corrupt beyond belief. And packed full of trendy wingnuts.

Old July 8th 15, 03:35 PM posted to alt.astronomy
HVAC[_2_]

On 7/7/2015 2:54 PM, Double-A wrote:
[...]

How much did your fishing license cost?

--
Cut off one head, two more shall take its place.
HAIL HYDRA!
Old July 9th 15, 01:51 AM posted to alt.astronomy
Double-A[_4_]

On Wednesday, July 8, 2015 at 7:35:23 AM UTC-7, HVAC wrote:
[...]

Good news on that front. I found out that because I have lived in Oregon over 50 years, I am entitled to receive a pioneer's license for FREE! Also the surcharge they are now charging to fish in the Columbia water shed is also FREE to us pioneers! I will probably need to pay for a Salmon/Steelhead tag though if I choose to fish for them.

Sunny as per usual here in Gresham and 90F as of 5:45 PM. Should start getting a little cooler in a couple days.

Had the usual Wednesday 4 hour lunch with Kim at the all you can eat buffet.. They still haven't kicked us out for overeating.

Double-A

Old July 9th 15, 08:40 PM posted to alt.astronomy
G=EMC^2TreBert

On Wednesday, July 8, 2015 at 5:51:41 PM UTC-7, Double-A wrote:
[...]

AA WOW 90 Here it got colder.Cloudy and no beach day. I'm leaving for Mt.Baldy .It has gold coming down.I will pan,but I have 3 other ideas that have never been tried.All based on good science.At $1100 ounce its worth a try.I will not cash in.Gold is worth saving.Hope to stay 3 days.Work hard.Make my van a Mt.cabin.Lots of Bud in Refrig. So if your don't see my posts do not worry.If my 3 ideas work you can try them on Mt.Hood.TreBert.M&M phase It does not need me.It is doing very well as I type. Phase II us not working because it has an ugly old deaf man trying to do stuff he did when 50 Sad but reality
Old July 9th 15, 08:53 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Double-A[_4_]

Another gorgeous day here in downtown Gresham. Sunny and 77F as of 12:30 AM PDT. Expected high today 89F.

Double-A

Punishment for the Ft. Hood Terrorist. G=EMC^2 Glazier[_1_] Misc 1 November 9th 09 06:59 PM
The source of the solar wind (Forwarded) Andrew Yee Astronomy Misc 0 May 6th 08 05:09 AM
The source of the solar wind (Forwarded) Andrew Yee[_1_] News 0 May 6th 08 04:59 AM
east's direction wind peter Misc 2 November 28th 06 02:38 PM
the East's direction wind peter Misc 1 November 23rd 06 02:44 PM