Early next week, a large asteroid...

Old January 22nd 15, 02:10 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

Default Early next week, a large asteroid...

On Thursday, January 22, 2015 at 6:35:33 AM UTC-5, Jim Newman wrote:

"Terminology
Traditionally, small bodies orbiting the Sun were classified as
asteroids, comets or meteoroids, with anything smaller than ten metres
across being called a meteoroid. The term "asteroid" is ill-defined. It
never had a formal definition, with the broader term minor planet being
preferred by the International Astronomical Union."

Actually the PC term at the IAU is "dwarf planet" (which also includes comets?!) and anything "smaller" is called a "small Solar System body" (sSSb ?)

So strictly speaking, 2004 BL86 is a "dwarf planet," at least until the next IAU convention.

It should be visible in binos, but don't bother, because in order to "see it as it really is" you'll have to use a video cam or look at it on the Web, according to our resident troll, LsD.

Old January 22nd 15, 03:41 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Lord Vath

On Wed, 21 Jan 2015 22:33:37 -0800 (PST), palsing
wrote this crap:

On Wednesday, January 21, 2015 at 10:26:31 PM UTC-8, Lord Vath wrote:
On Wed, 21 Jan 2015 22:01:42 -0800 (PST), palsing
wrote this crap:

On Wednesday, January 21, 2015 at 5:30:03 PM UTC-8, Lord Vath wrote:
On Wed, 21 Jan 2015 18:31:26 -0600, Sam Wormley
wrote this crap:

Space Weather News for Jan. 21, 2015
http://spaceweather.com

Early next week, a large asteroid named 2004 BL86 will fly past the
Earth-Moon system. There's no danger of a collision, but NASA radars
will be monitoring the mountain-sized space rock as it passes by only
745,000 miles away. Amateur astronomers can watch the flyby, too.
Glowing like a 9th magnitude star, 2004 BL86 will be an easy target
for backyard telescopes on the night of closest approach, Jan. 26-27.
Check http://spaceweather.com for observing tips and more
information.

Would that be an asteroid or a meteoroid? If it's not in the asteroid
belt, how is it an asteroid?

Ya know, Google is your friend. You could have found the answer
to your question with just a few key-strokes...

http://astrobites.org/2014/11/10/mos...asteroid-belt/

You wasted five minutes of my ****ing precious time with this post.
You didn't answer the question. I know the ****ing difference between
comets and asteroids. Do you know the ****ing difference between a
meteoroid and an asteroid? dumbass. Is this ****ing flying space rock
an asteroid or a meteoroid? you dumbass.

This signature is now the ultimate
power in the universe

You didn't read the article, did you... moron.

I wasted my valuable time reading some nonsense about comets, dumbass.
It didn't answer the question, numbnutz. You are officially listed in
my book of idiots.

Old January 22nd 15, 03:55 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Lord Vath

On Thu, 22 Jan 2015 11:35:23 +0000, Jim Newman wrote
this crap:

On 22/01/2015 03:51, Lord Vath wrote:
On Wed, 21 Jan 2015 20:05:17 -0600, Sam Wormley
wrote this crap:

On 1/21/15 7:30 PM, Lord Vath wrote:
Would that be an asteroid or a meteoroid? If it's not in the asteroid
belt, how is it an asteroid?

It is a mountain-sized space rock.

You didn't answer the question. Perhaps I didn't phrase it properly.
An asteroid is in the asteroid belt, a meteoroid is a drifting space
rock. Some asteroids have irregular orbits. so is this really an
asteroid or a meteoroid? The difference is in the orbit.

Not necessarily:
From the Wikipedia "Asteroid" article

"Terminology
Traditionally, small bodies orbiting the Sun were classified as
asteroids, comets or meteoroids, with anything smaller than ten metres
across being called a meteoroid. The term "asteroid" is ill-defined. It
never had a formal definition, with the broader term minor planet being
preferred by the International Astronomical Union."

Wikipedia is not always correct. (For example in one section Wik lists
25 time zones.) An asteroid by convention, is a piece of space junk
orbiting the sun, usually, but not always, found in the asteroid belt.
A meteoroid is a piece of space junk drifting in space with no defined
orbit. When such a meteoroid enters the atmosphere and burns up, it
is a meteor. When a meteor hits the ground it is a meteorite.

Old January 22nd 15, 04:11 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

On Thursday, January 22, 2015 at 9:46:07 AM UTC-5, Lord Vath wrote:
On Thu, 22 Jan 2015 02:29:34 -0800 (PST), wsnell01 wrote
this crap:

On Thursday, January 22, 2015 at 1:26:31 AM UTC-5, Lord Vath wrote:

palsing's **** deleted

Referring to palsing:

Is this ****ing flying space rock
an asteroid or a meteoroid? you dumb***.

If it hits the Earth and makes the 6 PM News then it is a meteoroid.

If it hits the Earth it's a meteorite, dumb***.

Or an asterite, if it was at least a certain size before impact?

Maybe I should have said it WAS a meteoroid?

If it hits the Earth and there IS no 6 PM News at all, then it was an asteroid.

What's the matter with you *******s. Don't you know the difference
between a meteor, a meteorite, a meteoroid, or an asteroid?

What is this?:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1972_Gr...light_Fireball

Meteor and meteoroid? Or meteor and asteroid?
Old January 22nd 15, 04:15 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Lord Vath

wrote this crap:

[...]

Here's a simpler site for you:

http://www.sciencekids.co.nz/science...fferences.html

I couldn't find my crayons to circle the mistakes.

Old January 22nd 15, 04:15 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

On Thursday, January 22, 2015 at 9:57:10 AM UTC-5, Lord Vath wrote:
On Thu, 22 Jan 2015 05:10:57 -0800 (PST), wsnell01 wrote

So strictly speaking, 2004 BL86 is a "dwarf planet," at least
until the next IAU convention.

It depends. It's only a dwarf planet if it is orbiting the sun.

Which it appears to be doing.

Old January 22nd 15, 06:59 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
palsing[_2_]

wrote this crap:

[...]

You said... "If it's not in the asteroid belt, how is it an asteroid?"

.... and I provided a link that tells us that "most-asteroids-are-not-in-the-asteroid-belt"... just what part of this simple concept don't you understand? I don't think you time is all that valuable...
Old January 22nd 15, 07:28 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Wed, 21 Jan 2015 20:30:08 -0500, Lord Vath
wrote:

Would that be an asteroid or a meteoroid? If it's not in the asteroid
belt, how is it an asteroid?

I'm currently on the committee reviewing and revising the meteor
terminology for presentation to IAU Committee 22. We are currently
operating under definitions adopted in 1961. "Asteroid" is not
formally defined, but "meteoroid" is, as "a solid object moving in
interplanetary space, of a size considerably smaller than an asteroid
and considerably larger than an atom or molecule". In practice,
"asteroid" is generally used for objects larger than about 10m, and
"meteoroid" is generally used for smaller objects. But that does not
reflect any sort of official terminology and the terminology may vary
with context.

We are discussing new definitions that reflect origin and evolution,
rather than size. The matter remains unsettled. Currently, origin is
not considered in the nomenclature.

As a meteoriticist, I would be very surprised to see 2004 BL86
referred to as anything other than an asteroid, particularly as it has
an asteroid designation. There is no designation system for meteoroids
(which is another area of discussion, as we expect in the future more
bodies like 2008 TC3, which are optically detected in space as
asteroids but become meteoroids in the Earth's atmosphere and which
produce meteorites).