The 97 Percent

Old August 3rd 12, 02:32 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Quadibloc

Default The 97 Percent

Leaving the last 3% for Dec. 21, I suppose.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/ja...oyed-tomorrow/

Why didn't my local paper cover this story?

John Savard
Old August 3rd 12, 03:19 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Martin Brown

On 03/08/2012 14:32, Quadibloc wrote:
Leaving the last 3% for Dec. 21, I suppose.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/ja...oyed-tomorrow/

Why didn't my local paper cover this story?

Probably because their readership does not consist of senile rightards.
Delingpole is notorious in the UK as a climate denier.

He barely knows any science - something he shares with other former
Torygraph "science" correspondents. Doesn't stop him being "right" about
everything - his tag line. He is totally clueless.

John Savard

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old August 3rd 12, 03:56 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Fri, 3 Aug 2012 06:32:07 -0700 (PDT), Quadibloc
wrote:

Leaving the last 3% for Dec. 21, I suppose.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/ja...oyed-tomorrow/

Why didn't my local paper cover this story?

What story? The report of the unprecedented Greenland melt this year
was widely covered. Most papers wouldn't cover the interpretation of a
whacko like this (who actually acknowledges getting "information" from
Fox and Watts Up With That!).
Old August 3rd 12, 05:48 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Quadibloc

On Aug 3, 8:56*am, Chris L Peterson wrote:

What story? The report of the unprecedented Greenland melt this year
was widely covered.

My reference was to the title of the story, and was intended in a
humorous way.

If 97 percent of the world actually was to be destroyed tomorrow, one
would expect nearly every newspaper to devote at least some space to
the fact.

John Savard
Old August 3rd 12, 07:00 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Androcles[_80_]

"Quadibloc" wrote in message

On Aug 3, 8:56 am, Chris L Peterson wrote:

What story? The report of the unprecedented Greenland melt this year
was widely covered.

My reference was to the title of the story, and was intended in a
humorous way.

If 97 percent of the world actually was to be destroyed tomorrow, one
would expect nearly every newspaper to devote at least some space to
the fact.

John Savard

==============================
Peterson doesn't know his funny bone from his humerus.

Old August 3rd 12, 11:23 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Davoud[_1_]

Quadibloc:
If 97 percent of the world actually was to be destroyed tomorrow, one
would expect nearly every newspaper to devote at least some space to
the fact.

Knowing the land area of the Earth, and making a guess at what
percentage of it is covered by newspaper offices and their auxiliaries,
and guessing at the percentage of the human population that is employed
by said newspapers, it ought to be possible to make a rough estimate of
how many newspapers "nearly every newspaper" would be with 97% of the
Earth destroyed.

One possible, even likely, answer is that 100% of the land area would
be destroyed, and that the number of surviving newspapers would be
"none."

If there were surviving newspapers, then the question would arise as to
how many people would be left to read them. Take into account literacy
rates, language differences, and distribution issues. If all of the
surviving newspapers were in Canada and all of the surviving potential
readers were in Wilayah Persekutuan Labuan, finding and reaching the
readership could be problematic. Advertising revenues would plunge (by
about 97%, I suppose), and there would go the newspapers, months before
they would have gone out of business if 97% of the world hadn't been
destroyed.

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm
Old August 4th 12, 02:20 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris.B[_2_]

The BBC would like to apologise that we are unable to report the end
of the world: This is due to copyright issues raised by Rotten Apple,
the re-labellers of the popular, Chinese-made, plastic, iSlave,
children's toy. It seems that Rotten Apple has a patent on the "two
fingers raised to the sky" salute. (Acquired from an earlier buy-out
of the RC Church for a nominal $1 in a Roman backstreet, car boot
sale)

And now in breaking news:

After a very late kick-off:

Manchester United 2 Everton 3

Now there is a surprise!

De-Vil scored a hat-trick to go one ahead in injury time.

It is reported that God was carried off injured, early in the match.
Despite their best efforts, the St John's Ambulance crew could not
revive him. He was pronounced dead at the scene and ceremoniously
dumped in two, black, bin bags in a rubbish skip for later disposal.
Old August 4th 12, 09:08 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Androcles[_80_]

"Chris.B" wrote in message

[...]

So you failed in your chosen career as a comedian's script writer
and now wish to vent your frustration on an audience dedicated to
photographing heavenly firework displays or proudly describing their
equipment for doing so.

Old August 4th 12, 09:36 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Androcles[_80_]

"Chris.B" wrote in message

[...]

Actual BBC commentary:
Oh, oh! A runner has fallen! His shoe has come off! Oh, that is so
disappointing! Oh dear, oh dear...
(picks himself up, puts his shoe on, carries on running, still has
19 laps to go in the 10,000 metres...)

Old August 5th 12, 12:32 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
OG

On 04/08/2012 14:20, Chris.B wrote:
stuff

What's your point?