'Saving appearance'

Old January 18th 15, 08:23 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

Default 'Saving appearance'

Five views on Gerald aka Oriel36

Chris.B wrote - "He is a random word generator without the knowledge or education to understand the terms he so repeatedly abuses. You might call him a flawed human badly attempting AI. He is a parrot or budgerigar in all but name. Cute at the first hearing but quickly tiresome to distraction. I cannot imagine that he has a social circle. To know him would be a slow and painful death by a thousand cuts. He reminds me of working in the same office as a Jehovah's Witness. Walking lunacy in the public domain. Hidden behind a crippling mask of psychopathic smugness."

Pastor Ravi Holy of Ghetti Spa, Los Agña, Santa Gria wrote - "For the most part I do leave him alone, we are just talking about him here, but he's masochistic enough to keep coming back to this newsgroup for another thrashing.

Some mean well enough, trying to explain to him the tilt of the Earth, the sidereal day and why the Moon has to rotate to keep the same face to the Earth, but he won't even place two sticks in the ground aligned with a star to time it from one night to the next, let alone use an expensive telescope with a clock drive.

Flogging a dead horse won't move it out the way, but he's not dead, he keeps coming back and lying in the middle of the road blocking traffic. So do you give him "the right support and encouragement" or a good whipping?

One cannot be forced to imagine the Earth orbiting the Sun and the Moon orbiting the Earth when both cross the sky daily, or the Earth hanging still as the Sun and stars move behind it, as seen from the Moon. He lacks that imagination. As you say, leave him alone."

PALSING wrote - "Also, as you have been told before, Sirius certainly 'appears' from the glare of the Sun every year, but it is FAR from ever being BEHIND the Sun as you so often repeat. The closest together the Sun and Sirius ever get in the sky is about 80 solar diameters, they are about 40 degrees apart! Sirius passes far below the Sun when they both culminate at the same time.

You don't have any interest in anything anyone else has to say here, when they disagree with you. It is clear to everyone here that you don't know the difference between actual science and science fiction, and with your poor attitude and inability to learn anything here, you never will. You are doomed to be ignorant of reality regarding astronomy and the other sciences for a very long time if you continue to rant against things you don't begin to understand... and I'm not holding my breath that you will change your ways anytime soon. You have no chance whatsoever of convincing even a single person of any of your wacky and perverted views, which you spew forth ad nauseum. Perhaps you should cut your losses and just move on to greener pastures somewhere else on the internet.

No one would be sorry to see you go. NO ONE!"

BILL wrote - "If I was fighting for my convictions. I would be out in the real world putting shoe leather to pavement. I would lobby my officials in government, education, and any other groups that would give me a minute of their time. So forth and so on... Conversely, if all I seemed to be doing was to seek to keep a static, running, conflict going between myself and people who were easily accessible to me, as in this tiny group... I would not be surprised if people questioned my motives/intentions; and drew their own conclusions about me; and you'd be correct to do so."

Martin wrote - "It is part of Oriel's mental health issues that he is unable or unwilling to respond to questions or to accept any answer that differs from his own bizarre view of the world. The way he endlessly repeats minor variations of the same nonsense is just one symptom of his illness. He quite literally cannot stop himself from posting (it is both instructive and frightening to examine how often he posts) and it is hard to imagine that he has a normal life as in paid employment, a family and other leisure activities."
Old January 18th 15, 11:28 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris.B[_2_]

On Saturday, 17 January 2015 16:48:49 UTC+1,1461 wrote:
once and for all.

The parrot doth squawk too much, methinks. Empty terms are his stock in trade.'Tis not the dreary repetition which sours the very souls of men.. but that enduring absence of ambition in his constant, trudging thoughts. That demeaning hollowness of intellect which sets the narrowest of minds to willful acceptance of mere, finite fate. That fumbling embrace of the bland traits of our poor dullard's numbness to mere existence. Selling his drowning soul too cheaply to the Devil's Inquisition. All for a brazen shield. Which They might erect, like some monstrous phallic helm, over his tonsured, vacuous skull. An all too desperate ploy to save him from such abusive torments, as ours. Does the vain fool bemuse himself with this oafish posturing? Or are his braggart's, tortuous barbs his own malignant venting? Some tragicomic show of crass, rudderless hatred for all that is light and airy in this (our) learned realm? [With all due apologies] ;ø)
Old January 18th 15, 11:40 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Mike Collins[_4_]

"Chris.B" wrote:
[...]

Sometimes flowery language can be even more annoying.
Old January 18th 15, 01:11 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris.B[_2_]

On Sunday, 18 January 2015 12:41:28 UTC+1, Mike Collins wrote:

Sometimes flowery language can be even more annoying.

Methinks you have rather missed the point. :ø))

Such archaic, linguistic constructions have no more merit today than the pseudo-historic piles of pretentious crap in every parrot dropping. His words and neo-contextual terms become the chaff embedded in the midden which constantly rises from the bottom of his cage. Whatever seeds of merit the parrot might once have hoped for are lost in his religious tracts long before expulsion onto the naturally abrasive floor of this forum. Changing the sandpaper seems as far beyond the wit of the remaining members as toppling him from his squawking perch. Our own cage may be entirely illusory but it still binds us to the spot no less. We are hypnotized by the tawdry bird as if transfixed by an exotic dancer. The parrot has his bell and we are his drooling subjects.

Old January 18th 15, 01:42 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
oriel36[_2_]

There are a lot of astronomical traditions involved and 'saving appearances as to why celestial objects behave the way they do' is among the highest levels of astronomical tradition.

It is with certainty that observers can no account for why Sirius skips an appearance by one day after four annual cycles of 365 days and it remains an astonishing deduction in any era -

"But as the case will occur, that the rise of Sothis advances to another day in every 4 years " Decree of Canopus

http://www.reshafim.org.il/ad/egypt/...pus_decree.htm

Known as the heliacal rising of Sirius today, the line-of-sight observation remains an exquisite parent observation that gets the leap second guys off the hook so long as they do not reject the two separate directions which the parent 1461 rotations to 4 annual circuits take -

"on account of the procession of the rising of the Divine Sothis by one day in the course of 4 years, and other festivals celebrated in the summer, in this country, shall not be celebrated in winter, as has occasionally occurred 22 in past times, therefore it shall be, that the year of 360 days and the 5 days added to their end, so one day as feast of Benevolent Gods be from this day after every 4 years added" Canopus decree

People should become familiar with these wonderful observations and innovations rather than wasting their time trying to diminish me personally,after all, this world has now become sullen with the misuse of terrestrial sciences through the exclusion of genuine astronomy. Noiseboxes come and go but the unmoderated forums are the nearest thing to back channels in order to get things done.

Old January 18th 15, 02:15 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
oriel36[_2_]

"During one orbit around the Sun, Earth rotates about its own axis 366.26 times" Wikipedia main 'Earth'article -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth

When it becomes acceptable to believe that 1465 rotations occur within the confines of 4 orbital circuits then a sullen intellects dominate by virtue that the dubious reasoning behind that can be explained via an exceptionally poor conclusion based on an accumulative 3 minute 56 second deficit to 24 hours -

http://hypertextbook.com/facts/1999/JennyChen.shtml

Saving appearances as to why the Sun rises and sets each day is followed by the number of times it turns in completing an orbital circuit . The core value is contained in the addition of a leap day rotation which requires four annual circuits to nail down the fact to the nearest rotation.

I prefer to keep the issue at a level that doesn't completely ruin any hope of compromise in offering a way out,even if at this late stage.

Old January 19th 15, 02:54 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
palsing[_2_]

On Friday, January 16, 2015 at 11:17:31 AM UTC-8, oriel36 wrote:

I have to laugh at the idea that the 3 minute 56 second deficit to 24 hours each rotation constitutes an accumulative extra rotation per circuit hence a mismatch...

Of course there is a mismatch, they have different definitions... of course you have to laugh, it is too painful to cry... you simply have no clue...
Old January 19th 15, 05:47 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
oriel36[_2_]

On Monday, January 19, 2015 at 2:54:31 AM UTC, palsing wrote:
On Friday, January 16, 2015 at 11:17:31 AM UTC-8, oriel36 wrote:

I have to laugh at the idea that the 3 minute 56 second deficit to 24 hours each rotation constitutes an accumulative extra rotation per circuit hence a mismatch...

Of course there is a mismatch, they have different definitions... of course you have to laugh, it is too painful to cry... you simply have no clue....

It is disturbing by virtue that the purpose of the leap day rotation of February 29th closes out 4 orbital circuits in a very technical and distinct fashion based on the parent reference.

It can't have escaped less giddy of the celestial sphere cultists that the curtain call for defining the Earth's orbital position in space could only be Sirius as the brightest star out there. That is why the original reference to its first appearance is so spectacular by virtue that taken from any single first appearance to the next takes 365 days and 365 rotations, it was a spectacular insight to notice that it skips an appearance by one day (one rotation) after the fourth cycle of 365 days and rotations.

Irrespective of whether contemporaries ignore it or not, the anchor for timekeeping using external references is the passage of the stars lying along or close to the ecliptic plane behind the central Sun due solely to the orbital motion of the Earth (say goodbye to stellar circumpolar motion and daily rotation !) and the central Sun as a fixed reference for daily rotation.

It may be fine for some to go into a frantic dance about 1465 rotations within the confines of 4 annual circuits but it still means that you can't account for the Sun rising and setting within each 24 hour period due to the rotation of the planet once in that period. That is not the symptoms of a dysfunctional astronomy - it is the outward symptoms of a dysfunctioning society.

Do any of you realize just how much productive and creative work is being waylaid because there is no coordinating entity available to handle these issues in separating a single parent observation into two distinct working principles ?.

Old January 19th 15, 07:16 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

[...]

Saving the appearances oriel36[_2_] Amateur Astronomy 0 March 13th 14 07:16 PM
What if(saving the Children) G=EMC^2 Glazier[_1_] Misc 0 April 21st 09 10:13 PM
daylight saving Tony UK Astronomy 5 October 16th 05 05:56 PM
Titan appearance GM Policy 0 November 11th 04 05:28 PM
Saving HST Mike Hale Amateur Astronomy 3 September 15th 04 02:28 PM