Advice to beginners

Old May 29th 04, 12:09 PM
Bernie

Default Advice to beginners

Having been involved in Astronomy for over thirty years I can honestly
say that I consider many beginners to this hobby to be wasting money
on needless equipement.

If you are considering buying a starter type telescope, do consider
first a good pair of binoculars. I have both a 10" reflector telescope
and a pair of quality binos, and to be honest I consider the
binoculars to be much superior for general astronomy.

Another advantage is that binoculars can be used for other things such
as bird watching etc.

I cannot emphasis enough how important it is to get the right
equipement at the outset of starting this hobby, and if funds are low
binoculars will win through everytime.

Hope this helps someone.

Bernie

Old May 29th 04, 03:58 PM
norman.silverstone

"Bernie" wrote in message
m...
Having been involved in Astronomy for over thirty years I can honestly
say that I consider many beginners to this hobby to be wasting money
on needless equipement.

If you are considering buying a starter type telescope, do consider
first a good pair of binoculars.

snip

I cannot emphasis enough how important it is to get the right
equipement at the outset of starting this hobby, and if funds are low
binoculars will win through everytime.

I agree up to a point. The proviso I have is that unless you have a very
steady hand binoculars are not that easy to use and could easily be off
putting At least a telescope on a stand of some sort does not have this
problem.

Norman

Old May 29th 04, 10:45 PM
Neale D. Hind

In message , Bernie
writes
Having been involved in Astronomy for over thirty years I can honestly
say that I consider many beginners to this hobby to be wasting money
on needless equipement.

If you are considering buying a starter type telescope, do consider
first a good pair of binoculars. I have both a 10" reflector telescope
and a pair of quality binos, and to be honest I consider the
binoculars to be much superior for general astronomy.

Another advantage is that binoculars can be used for other things such
as bird watching etc.

I cannot emphasis enough how important it is to get the right
equipement at the outset of starting this hobby, and if funds are low
binoculars will win through everytime.

I'm an astronomy newbie and, having bought a second hand Celestron 114
EQ, think I probably did it about face. I may well have been better to
get some good binoculars and made an effort to get to know the solar
system and principal constellations first.

Fortunately (through this newsgroup and the Society for Popular
Astronomy) I've made a couple of good contacts. One has already helped
me (thanks Martin Hall!), and the other is awaiting a decent clear sky
night (thanks in advance Martin Anderson!).

Had a great night on Thursday with decent viewing of:
- Moon
- Jupiter + all four moons
- M13
- Ring Nebula
- Comet NEAT

I appreciate that I'm sending out mixed messages here. But I think the
moral is - a telescope is fine but you need someone knowledgeable
available to help you.

Frankly, up until Martin H. coming to see me, I really had no confidence
that the telescope was correctly put together, or indeed that it worked
properly! You can only imagine the relief I felt when I was able to use
my scope to see images nearly as clear as Martin H's (which were to me,
as a newbie, awesome). I'm now can't wait for the next clear sky and,
hopefully more assistance!

Now, if only I can get an understanding of using RA and declination! ...

Cheers,
--
Neale Hind
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children
Old May 31st 04, 04:03 PM
Mark

For binos I would go for something like 10x50.

Mark

Old June 1st 04, 12:17 AM
Face

"Mark" wrote in message
For binos I would go for something like 10x50.

Mark

When I was a 'nipper' (8 or so) I got the Astro bug and asked my Dad for a
telescope for Xmas. He asked an astromoner friend of his what scope was best
to get a youngster...the bugger said a pair of 8x40's. I was gutted, I
wanted a 'proper' telescope!!!! Looking back though, it was a good decision!

At that age, bino's let you learn the sky the easy way, just can pan around
the sky until you find something interesting and then look it up in a book
and go 'WOW'.

I've never looked back.......

Gaz

---