Source for beginners

Old October 17th 03, 08:03 PM
GRW

Default Source for beginners

I am new to astronomy and have been enjoying myself a great deal.

I started by just trying to learn the constellations, and then
identifying some of the more prominent objects (i.e., planets).

Recently purchased a Celestron 114GT telescope, and have set it up and
aligned it per instructions. This has yielded my son and I some
excellent views of the moon, mars, saturn, etc. and I like the way it
will track objects.

Here's my problem - I see in the astronomy magazines numerous and
incredible photos of deep sky objects, generally taken by folks with
telescopes much larger and more powerful than mine.

Many things I read indicate that aperture may be more important than
magnification. However, I don't know what to expect when looking for
certain objects because nobody has given me any help with the scope
and I have no point of reference except the magazines.

For instance, I have been trying to locate M31 in Andromeda. I
certainly know where to look, but don't know what to look for. How
big should it look? Is it just star-sized, or should it be larger?
Am I just not in a dark enough location (we actually don't have much
light pollution where I live, but there are neighboring houses with
external lights)?

I know this sounds like a stupid question. However, expectation
levels were set pretty high by the scope mfr's literature, and I'm
afraid that I may be reaching the practical limitations of this scope.
If so, this may be very disappointing.
Old October 17th 03, 08:14 PM
John Carruthers

have been trying to locate M31 in Andromeda. I
certainly know where to look, but don't know what to look for. How
big should it look? Is it just star-sized, or should it be larger?

You are looking for a dim, fuzzy, milky blob; like a cloud. Bright
enough however to see in binoculars, try this first, then try your
'scope again. M31 should appear to cover a quarter to one third of
your field of view at low power.You'll know it when you see it :-)
jc

---

Old October 17th 03, 09:17 PM
Tim Longwell

Chin Up GRW the Andromeda galaxy IS viewable nicely in your scope. The
Andromeda Galaxy is a faint fuzzy in the 114 however.
The way we help new ones at our club find the Andromeda Galaxy may help you:

Locate the Great square of Pegasus, then viewing the Great square as if you
were looking down on a baseball diamond, locate 3rd base. Now Follow the
line towards the north star from 3rd base to the 2nd bright star from 3rd
base. Now move up towards zenith 2 stars from that star and the Andromeda
galaxy will be at about the 2 o'clock position.

Learning to find deep sky objects takes a bit longer than finding stars,
planets and the moon. You will find it very helpful to locate the nearest
Astronomy club in your area. The members of any Astronomy club will be more
than glad to assist you in enjoying your new telescope more.

--
Clear and Dark Skies for all!

_________________________
Tim Longwell

Black River Astronomical Society
http://junior.apk.net/~arstar50/BlackRiver.index.html
_________________________
om...

Old October 17th 03, 11:14 PM
Stargazer

GRW" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Hi there

Like you, i have fun with my scope but didn't know what to see. I was
recommended the following book which is now invaluable to me. "The Practical
Astronomers Deep - Sky Companion" by Jess K Gilmour. This is part of the Sir
Patrick Moore's Practical Astronomy Series.

It is available in the USA from Springer (NY). The following link should
take you to the page. I believe it retails at $44.95, but you may find it
cheaper at Amazon.com.

http://www.springer-ny.com/listpage....atrick%20Moore
%27s%20Practical%20Astronomy%20Series&discipline=A stronomy&startat=1&sortBy=
deVolume&cart=10664281194939277

If this link doesn't work try www.springer-ny.com and click on Astronomy
browse by series Patrick Moore's Astronomy series.Then scroll down for

this choice.

If you can afford it you will be very happy. Since i bought it a few weeks
ago i have seen many Messier and NGC objects and i use a 114mm and 200mm
newtonian scopes.

HTH

Clear skies

Martin A
UK

Old October 18th 03, 01:01 PM
GRW

Thanks for the feedback.

Tonight is supposed to be clear and we'll go out and check things out.

I don't know if my local bookstore would carry the book referred to,
but I'll check Amazon.

Old October 19th 03, 01:48 PM
GRW

Thanks for the info.

Caught a good look at M31 last night. I think my problem before was
that I was trying too high of a magnification.

Now I'm looking forward to when Orion moves high enough in the sky so
that I can see the nebulae in his sword.

One problem I have here is that there are a lot of mountains and trees
around my house that obscure the lower horizon.