telescope for beginners

Old August 11th 03, 04:07 AM
Steven C.

Default telescope for beginners

I'm planning on going camping in Yellowstone and wanted to get a telescope
to bring with me. What to be able to look at planet and stars and spend
under $300. I have never had a telescope before. I'm an engineer so I'm so
what mechically inclined but would like easy setup.

If this is not the right news group can you point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Old August 11th 03, 04:34 AM
Bobsprit

I'm planning on going camping in Yellowstone and wanted to get a telescope
to bring with me.

For this type of thing you can pretty much go with a short tube refractor or
small cassegrain scope. You didn't say if you'd be carrying the scope long
distances or driving in an RV. More details would help. For back packing,
binoculars are all I'd ever carry.

Capt RB
Old August 11th 03, 04:15 PM
John den Haan

Hey,

I think you should get yourself a good pair of binoculars (20x80 or
something in that range). They are extremely portable and easiest to set up.
Point them up and go!

Ofcourse a small refractor could also do the job or you, or even better, a
small SCT. But a good SCT will usually fall outside your price range...

Greetings,

John

.. .

Old August 12th 03, 03:41 AM
eyelessgame

"Steven C." wrote in message ...
I'm planning on going camping in Yellowstone and wanted to get a telescope
to bring with me. What to be able to look at planet and stars and spend
under $300. I have never had a telescope before. I'm an engineer so I'm so
what mechically inclined but would like easy setup.

If this is not the right news group can you point me in the right direction.

Thanks

If portability's not an issue (except, of course, it is -- you're
going camping) you should consider a 6" Dobsonian. But they suck for
portability.

Don't get a Meade, don't get anything that has a table-tripod, and
don't get anything for sale at Costco or Walmart. Wide-field,
good-optics 20x80 binocs (with a good, solid collapsible tripod -- you
want a tripod if you go over 10x) might be your best bet. $300 on
binoculars will get you almost as good a viewing experience as $300 on
any portable telescope, IMHO.

eyelessgame
Old August 15th 03, 07:18 AM
mumblin-joe

I use a tasco startracker for my portable scope, they are great and very
similar to the celestrons and very portable unless you are going to be
hiking to the campsite! They also offer an automated goto computerized mount
that takes alot of the guesswork out of locating objects. These scopes are
great for beginers and intermediate users for portable scopes. If you are
going to be hiking I agree on the high powered binos!
Joe

"Steven C." wrote in message
.. .
Arer the Mini GiantT 56mm and 63mm Binoculars from Orion good binoculars

for
looking at the stars?

.. .