MIR plans

Old November 24th 03, 12:05 AM
Nicolas Deault

Default MIR plans

Hi

My daughter just turned 3 and God knows why, she wants a space station. As
a good dad I said : "Sure honey" and then I realized what I got into. So,
now, I wonder if there are any plans of MIR. I'd like to build a model
version of the old station. I'm good at model but I have no idea of what
MIR used to be like. so this is why I'd like to have either plans of 3d
views of some kind.

If she ever wants another space station, we'll create the ISS.

Thanks

-Nicolas Deault

Old November 24th 03, 06:11 AM
Jim Kingdon

Newsgroups: sci.space.station
Subject: MIR plans
So, now, I wonder if there are any plans of MIR. I'd like to build a
model version of the old station. I'm good at model but I have no
idea of what MIR used to be like. so this is why I'd like to have
either plans of 3d views of some kind.

If you just want some images, going to http://images.google.com/ and
putting in "Mir Space Station" gets various pictures.

If you want to limit yourself to images of Mir as it existed just
before reentry, well
http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2001/ast10mar_1.htm has at least
one such photo.

You don't say whether you are looking for a kit, but
http://members.yourlink.net/jgerard/.../mirmodel.html is one
such. I know I've seen reviews of ISS kits on this group, so if you
want to ask about this angle, there might be people who have built Mir
kits.
Old November 24th 03, 03:01 PM
JimO

Default MIR plans -- it's spelled 'Mir'

Please, it's not an acronym, it's an ordinary word used as a name,

Mir.

Old November 24th 03, 06:46 PM
jeff findley

"Nicolas Deault" writes:

My daughter just turned 3 and God knows why, she wants a space station. As
a good dad I said : "Sure honey" and then I realized what I got into. So,
now, I wonder if there are any plans of MIR. I'd like to build a model
version of the old station. I'm good at model but I have no idea of what
MIR used to be like. so this is why I'd like to have either plans of 3d
views of some kind.

If she ever wants another space station, we'll create the ISS.

Or, you could take the easy way out. Lego has an ISS model that you
could buy off the shelf and assemble in minutes. That ought to be
good enough for a 3 year old.

Jeff
--
Remove "no" and "spam" from email address to reply.
If it says "This is not spam!", it's surely a lie.
Old November 24th 03, 10:06 PM
Alan Erskine

Happy birthday to your daughter. Congradulations on being such a 'doting
dad'. )

As for plans, contact either NASA or Energia, you'll find them both on the
'net and you can do a web search for "Mir plans". That's the best I can
offer where that's concerned. However, what about building a 'space
station' she can climb into and play in, like a cubby house? If you do
this, you need your brain, not plans. Build it to the size of your daughter
so she (and her friends) can play inside it (oh, they memories of my own
childhood). You can build it out of cardboard so it can be repaired,
replaced, or... disposed of when the novelty wears off.

Maybe go to a carpet factory and see if they have any large-diameter
cardboard tubes?

--
Alan Erskine
alanterskine(at)hotmail.com

Iraq, America's new Vietnam

Old November 26th 03, 05:01 AM
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

"jeff findley" wrote in message
"Nicolas Deault" writes:

My daughter just turned 3 and God knows why, she wants a space station.

As
a good dad I said : "Sure honey" and then I realized what I got into.

So,
now, I wonder if there are any plans of MIR. I'd like to build a model
version of the old station. I'm good at model but I have no idea of

what
MIR used to be like. so this is why I'd like to have either plans of 3d
views of some kind.

If she ever wants another space station, we'll create the ISS.

Or, you could take the easy way out. Lego has an ISS model that you
could buy off the shelf and assemble in minutes. That ought to be
good enough for a 3 year old.

Note that I think the age recommended for that is 7+

http://shop.lego.com/product.asp?p=7...2DDABA4FAFC056

or try

http://shop.lego.com/leaf.asp?d=7&t=...2-DABA4FAFC056

for a whole bunch of cool space related legos.
(watch line wrap)

Jeff

Old November 26th 03, 05:50 AM
Dale

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 05:01:15 GMT, "Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)"

Note that I think the age recommended for that is 7+

http://shop.lego.com/product.asp?p=7...2DDABA4FAFC056

or try

http://shop.lego.com/leaf.asp?d=7&t=...2-DABA4FAFC056

for a whole bunch of cool space related legos.
(watch line wrap)

Or you could build a paper ISS model with her. One is available for free
downloading at-

http://www.marscenter.it/eng/modellismoiss.htm

There are plastic scale model kits of Mir available (or not too hard to find).
The Heller 1:125 one isn't too bad, and slightly larger than the Revell kit.
It should certainly satisfy a 3 year old

Dale