Archives

Old April 2nd 05, 06:48 PM
Michael Barlow

Default Archives

How do you guys save your notes, pictures, and other important
information? I'm starting some research on Archiving Systems and would
appreciate some feedback. Is it all on paper and/or all digitized? do you
still have logs and what not's from years ago? Have you planed what you
want done with them after your gone? I.E. giving them to family members,
having them tossed in the garbage, giving them to a research institute, or
haven't you gave it any thought?

--
Michael A. Barlow

Old April 2nd 05, 07:45 PM
RMOLLISE

Michael Barlow wrote:
How do you guys save your notes, pictures, and other important
information? I'm starting some research on Archiving Systems and

would
appreciate some feedback. Is it all on paper and/or all digitized?

do you
still have logs and what not's from years ago? Have you planed what

you
want done with them after your gone? I.E. giving them to family

members,
having them tossed in the garbage, giving them to a research

institute, or
haven't you gave it any thought?

--
Michael A. Barlow

Hi:

I still have all my logs going back to the 1980s (those from before,
stretching back to the 60s were mostly lost in the many cross-country
moves I made during the 70s and/or were thrown out by a couple of
ex-wives ;-)).

The old logs are on paper forms I designed and are cross indexed on
index cards.

What do I use now? SkyTools 2. It works perfectly for logging. And no
more paper!

I keep telling myself I'm gonna transcribe the old logbooks into ST2,
but I doubt I'll get around to that any time soon. ;-)

After I'm GONE?! Where am I going?! ;-)

Peace,
Rod Mollise
Author of:_Choosing and Using a Schmidt Cassegrain Telescope_
http://members.aol.com/RMOLLISE/index.html

Old April 2nd 05, 10:19 PM
Marty

I regret it, but I didn't start keeping any kind of a log until 1990.
Any earlier notes are scattered in pages of books and magazines, or
stored in my memory, which is as good as a shoebox in the local dump.
Since then, I keep notes in a spiral notebook. Some are written in
fountain pen, (lots of us old stargazers like those,) others are printed
off newsgroups like this and glued in, rough sketches are cut out and
glued in.
As far as what becomes of them when I croak, I'd kind of like to
think maybe one of my kids might save them just for something the old
man did. My log would have almost no scientific value, but I've come to
write my observing reports in sort of a "story" style, and I'd really
get a buzz out of having something my father or my grandfather wrote
like that.
Marty