Review of TMB optical Monocentric eyepieces

Old June 25th 04, 05:39 PM
Markus Ludes

Default Review of TMB optical Monocentric eyepieces

wrong tools are

1, to test a planetary eyepiece at low power like he did , his scope 8"
F/4.5 ,
means focallenght 913 mm : 8 mm = 114 power, jip, thats the right power
to do Planetary
Observing in a 8" scope

2, How many out know that for Planetary Observing the scope must be 101
%
collimated. How many have hear scope of such fast f-ratio really 100%
dead on
collimated ? I mean really 100% ?

3, Dont know , but usual experienced Planetary Observers dont
use a comacorrector for observing faintest details on Planets

etc.

Markus

"Leonard" wrote in message
om

"Stephen Pitt" wrote in message news:b7061404ce8795d56ac6cc2edb1bc619.5675@mygate .mailgate.org...
Gary was wrong. It happens when using the wrong tools and asking-or
not asking-the appropriate questions.

Hi Stephen ,

Interesting post , what are the wrong tools and
questions he used and asked ? And in your opinion what are the
appropriate questions and tools ?
It seems to me he did a very competent review , no ?
Leonard

Old June 25th 04, 05:41 PM
Tom Trusock

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 16:44:56 +0000 (UTC), "Markus Ludes"
wrote:

Hi Tom

Monos are designed as high end Planetary eyepieces and mostly bought by
experienced planetary observers
who take the time to wait for the best seeing to see the little
diffrence, which is for them not little
but important improvement.
Take a bunch of 4" apos , in which nights you can see a diffrence and in
which not ,
if the diffrence big or small ? Mostly small, but this small is still
the reason to pay more to get 1 photon more to your eye, right ?

Markus

Markus

Markus -

FWIW, I tend to agree. Planetary observers tend to be (IME) by FAR
the most critical observers, and every little bit counts.

Seems to me that's the whole point of the SuperMonos.

Tom T.

Old June 25th 04, 05:44 PM
Markus Ludes

Hi Tom

Monos are designed as high end Planetary eyepieces and mostly bought by
experienced planetary observers
who take the time to wait for the best seeing to see the little
diffrence, which is for them not little
but important improvement.
Take a bunch of 4" apos , in which nights you can see a diffrence and in
which not ,
if the diffrence big or small ? Mostly small, but this small is still
the reason to pay more to get 1 photon more to your eye, right ?

Markus

Markus

I didn't compare these to the Pentax SMC orthos, but I did compare
them to a number of other well respected planetary eyepeices. And,
personally, I found that unless seeing conditions were very good (and
I was using excellent optics) most nights there was little to no
difference between the supermonos and the other eyepeices I compared
them too.

On those nights when seeing steadied though... There most certainly
was a difference. Not huge, but certainly perceptable.

Tom T.