To Barlow or Not

Old February 17th 04, 01:03 AM
Chuck

Default To Barlow or Not

Hi, I have an N11GPS (focal length 2800mm) and in the past have owned two
barlows, a TeleVue Powermate 2.5x and the AP Barcon. Although both of
these are top of the line, I have always prefered the view (at the same
magnification) without a barlow. Is this because my shorter focal length
eyepieces are TV Radians (12mm and 10mm) and have quite a few elements
already? I find myself buying more shorter focal length eyepieces. I
have read many postings saying that the views are only magnified, and no
negative effects can be discerned with the Powermates and Barcon. Yet
there are many postings extolling the views through planetary eyepieces with
less elements as opposed to designs with more elements like the Radians.
Thanks

--

Clear Skies,

Chuck

Old February 17th 04, 10:40 PM
Richard

"Chuck" wrote in message ...
Hi, I have an N11GPS (focal length 2800mm) and in the past have owned two
barlows, a TeleVue Powermate 2.5x and the AP Barcon. Although both of
these are top of the line, I have always prefered the view (at the same
magnification) without a barlow. Is this because my shorter focal length
eyepieces are TV Radians (12mm and 10mm) and have quite a few elements
already? I find myself buying more shorter focal length eyepieces. I
have read many postings saying that the views are only magnified, and no
negative effects can be discerned with the Powermates and Barcon. Yet
there are many postings extolling the views through planetary eyepieces with
less elements as opposed to designs with more elements like the Radians.
Thanks

If you don't mind short eye relief, you could buy one of the TMBs
and try it out against what you have. But I also wonder (realistically)
if there is much to gain beyond 400x on most occassions with your scope
and average seeing being what it is. The Barcon and the Radians
will produce a view that most people won't be able to tell from
a high end planetary eyepiece of the same power with the added comfort
of long eye relief. Your 10mm + TeleVue already provides over 500x.
-Rich