Best Canon Image Stabilised Binoculars for Astro

Old August 17th 05, 09:51 PM
Neil A. Miller

Default Best Canon Image Stabilised Binoculars for Astro

Hello

I am thinking of getting a set of these to replace by current 9x63's that I
use for casual astronomy and bird watching. When I say casual, I mean
planets, 'bright' deep sky etc. I do use them with a tripod if I am not
travelling. I friend of my as a pair of 12x36's Canon IS that are nice and
light and seem to have a good flat field of focus.

My questions a

1) Anyone using a pair of the bigger 15x or18x50mm's for Astronomy?

2) If so are they a bit heavy for sustained 'hand' use?

Obviously they won't have the light grasp of my current pair and the exit
pupil is small but on the face of it not having to us a tripod and the flat
field the IS bit is a big plus for the Canons.

Thanks for reading.

Neil Miller
Surrey, UK

Old August 18th 05, 09:57 PM
Mobey Dick

"Neil A. Miller" wrote in message
Hello

I am thinking of getting a set of these to replace by current 9x63's that
use for casual astronomy and bird watching. When I say casual, I mean
planets, 'bright' deep sky etc. I do use them with a tripod if I am not
travelling. I friend of my as a pair of 12x36's Canon IS that are nice and
light and seem to have a good flat field of focus.

My questions a

1) Anyone using a pair of the bigger 15x or18x50mm's for Astronomy?

2) If so are they a bit heavy for sustained 'hand' use?

Obviously they won't have the light grasp of my current pair and the exit
pupil is small but on the face of it not having to us a tripod and the
flat
field the IS bit is a big plus for the Canons.

Thanks for reading.

Neil Miller
Surrey, UK

I have the 15 x 50's and they are amazing. Great for observing - but they
ARE heavy. You can't 'gaze' for long periods - or at least you need to find
an elbow rest. I find the compromise acceptable. But if you want to see
stuff without a tripod its the only way to go. Go to a shop and try for
yourself.

md

Old August 22nd 05, 10:39 PM
Roger Smith

In message , Neil A. Miller
wrote
Hello

I am thinking of getting a set of these to replace by current 9x63's that I
use for casual astronomy and bird watching. When I say casual, I mean
planets, 'bright' deep sky etc. I do use them with a tripod if I am not
travelling. I friend of my as a pair of 12x36's Canon IS that are nice and
light and seem to have a good flat field of focus.

My questions a

1) Anyone using a pair of the bigger 15x or18x50mm's for Astronomy?

2) If so are they a bit heavy for sustained 'hand' use?

Obviously they won't have the light grasp of my current pair and the exit
pupil is small but on the face of it not having to us a tripod and the flat
field the IS bit is a big plus for the Canons.

Thanks for reading.

I have a pair of the 15x50's they work very well, they are heavy to hold
for a long time but the IS allows you to still see things adequately
even when your arms are starting to shake a bit.
They do have a tripod mount though I have never done more than rest on
things with them, mine seem to have a slight focus shift when I switch
on the IS but that might be just me. I have a pair of Russian bins of
the same size and the Cannon are much brighter.
The thing I found most awkward at first was that they are fixed body
which I was not used to and still occasionally find awkward if I have
let my father use them, he has very different eye spacing to me.
--
Roger
52:54:41N 01:30:05W