[GENESIS] Genesis retreived from hole; Science canister moved into cleanroom

Old September 9th 04, 04:28 AM
OM

Default [GENESIS] Genesis retreived from hole; Science canister moved into cleanroom

....NASA is reporting on http://www.genesismission.org that Genesis has
been lifted up out of its hole, and both it and the science canister
have been transported by helicopter from its impact site at the U.S.
Army Dugway Proving Ground in Utah to a holding area next to a
specially constructed clean room on the Army base. The Genesis team
will begin examining the contents of the canister on Thursday morning.
It is expected that what's left of the protective foil wrapping will
be removed from the canister, and dirt will be brushed off before the
canister is moved into the clean room for analysis of the contents.

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old September 9th 04, 01:26 PM
Peter Stickney

OM om@our_blessed_lady_mary_of_the_holy_NASA_researc h_facility.org writes:
...NASA is reporting on http://www.genesismission.org that Genesis has
been lifted up out of its hole, and both it and the science canister
have been transported by helicopter from its impact site at the U.S.
Army Dugway Proving Ground in Utah to a holding area next to a
specially constructed clean room on the Army base. The Genesis team
will begin examining the contents of the canister on Thursday morning.
It is expected that what's left of the protective foil wrapping will
be removed from the canister, and dirt will be brushed off before the
canister is moved into the clean room for analysis of the contents.

They didn't say anything like "We have a fire", or "Wildfire", did
they?

--
Pete Stickney
bad measures. -- Daniel Webster
Old September 9th 04, 02:49 PM
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

writes:
...NASA is reporting on http://www.genesismission.org that Genesis has
been lifted up out of its hole, and both it and the science canister
have been transported by helicopter from its impact site at the U.S.
Army Dugway Proving Ground in Utah to a holding area next to a
specially constructed clean room on the Army base. The Genesis team
will begin examining the contents of the canister on Thursday morning.
It is expected that what's left of the protective foil wrapping will
be removed from the canister, and dirt will be brushed off before the
canister is moved into the clean room for analysis of the contents.

They didn't say anything like "We have a fire", or "Wildfire", did
they?

It's WILD that the mortar didn't FIRE.

Old September 9th 04, 08:48 PM
Peter Stickney

writes:
...NASA is reporting on http://www.genesismission.org that Genesis has
been lifted up out of its hole, and both it and the science canister
have been transported by helicopter from its impact site at the U.S.
Army Dugway Proving Ground in Utah to a holding area next to a
specially constructed clean room on the Army base. The Genesis team
will begin examining the contents of the canister on Thursday morning.
It is expected that what's left of the protective foil wrapping will
be removed from the canister, and dirt will be brushed off before the
canister is moved into the clean room for analysis of the contents.

They didn't say anything like "We have a fire", or "Wildfire", did
they?

It's WILD that the mortar didn't FIRE.

It's hell when you have to explain the joke.
J. Nowotarsky got it...

Here's a subtle hint - Dugway is where the army has its Bugs and Gas
Labs - where all that CBW stuff goes on. (It's not like you could
damage Utah, after all) THey're going to have a Special Team examine
the recovery capsule in a Special Lab somewhere in/under thes
super-secure facility.

Compare and Contrast to Chricton's "Amdromeda Strain" - either the
book or movie version. (AMC recently re-ran the movie)

(In the book, calling a particular phone number and reporting "We
have a fire" activates the Wildfire Lab and starts off the analysis
process.)

On a more serious note.
As for the drogue gun failure - that happens. Quite a bit. It can
occur for a number of different reasons, ranging from failing to
remove the safety pin from the initiator's sear, to bad connectors, to
the actuator logic not actually meeting with the conditions actually
experienced. That's a danger with any active system - at some point,
it will fail. I've seen several such failures myself - one was during
an airdrop of a Sheriden tank (Well, it's not really a tank, it's an
Airborne Armored Reconnaisance Vehicle - Tank Boy, my youngest
brother, would attempt to casue mayhem upon me if I called a Sheriden
a Tank). This produced a 30 ton frisbee, luckily with no casualties.
One was a low speed ejection from a jet, with fatal results.
If you've got some pyrotechnic thingy in the loop, whether it be a
Primacord canopy remover, or an ejection seat initiator, or a drogue
gun, or, for that matter, a car's airbag, at some point its either
1) Not going to go off when its supposed to, or
2) Going to go off when its _not_ supposed to.
That's the way the Universe works.

Old September 10th 04, 01:29 AM
Mary Pegg

Peter Stickney wrote:

If you've got some pyrotechnic thingy in the loop, whether it be a
Primacord canopy remover, or an ejection seat initiator, or a drogue
gun, or, for that matter, a car's airbag, at some point its either
1) Not going to go off when its supposed to, or
2) Going to go off when its _not_ supposed to.
That's the way the Universe works.

ISTR the Shuttle's landing gear deployment (primary mechanism thereof)
depends on pyrotechnics. Either of (1) or (2) would be rather bothersome.

Old September 10th 04, 02:27 AM
Peter Stickney

Mary Pegg writes:
Peter Stickney wrote:

If you've got some pyrotechnic thingy in the loop, whether it be a
Primacord canopy remover, or an ejection seat initiator, or a drogue
gun, or, for that matter, a car's airbag, at some point its either
1) Not going to go off when its supposed to, or
2) Going to go off when its _not_ supposed to.
That's the way the Universe works.

ISTR the Shuttle's landing gear deployment (primary mechanism thereof)
depends on pyrotechnics. Either of (1) or (2) would be rather bothersome.

In the shutle's case, there are no gear actuators - just gravity adn
airloads. That's to avoid just that problem. Lowering the gear is
simply a matter of upening the uplocks in the wells.

Old September 10th 04, 01:56 PM
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

writes:
[...]

Umm, so did I. The point being they'd hide the message a bit more subtly
than coming out and saying "We have a wildfire." Since any reporter would
pick up on that.

Old September 10th 04, 03:21 PM
VADER

It is expected that what's left of the protective foil wrapping will
be removed from the canister, and dirt will be brushed off before the
canister is moved into the clean room for analysis of the contents.

Will they cleaning the prairie dog brains off of it also?

--
I got tired of the SPAM, so my reply email is fake. Please post any
response to the group.

Old September 11th 04, 02:54 PM
Peter Stickney

writes:
[...]

Well, they would hide the message, unless they thought that someone
would think that thee'd hide the message, so then they _wouldn't_ hide
the message. Unless, of course, they'd think that you'd think that
they wouldn't hide the message in order to hide the message...

Socrates, Plato - Morons!

--
Pete Stickney