LXD55 or LX200?

Old July 31st 04, 06:29 PM
md

Default LXD55 or LX200?

the meade LXD55 sells at 1700 euro, the LX200 (8") sells at 3800 euro. why would I buy the
lx200?
--
md

Old July 31st 04, 07:09 PM
md

"md" not given to avoid spam wrote in message
the meade LXD55 sells at 1700 euro, the LX200 (8") sells at 3800 euro. why would I buy the
lx200?
--
md

small addition: I mean the LXD55 SC-8 (or LXD75 SC-8 which seem to be the new model)

--
md

Old July 31st 04, 07:15 PM
md

"md" not given to avoid spam wrote in message
the meade LXD55 sells at 1700 euro, the LX200 (8") sells at 3800 euro. why would I buy the
lx200?
--
md

yet another small correction: the LXD55 SC-8 is 2200 euro :-(

I am still confused about the differences between LX10, LX90, LXD55SC-8, LX200 8", all are 8"
SCT's, with goto, but the prizes vary from 1700 euro (LX10) to 3800 euro (LX200). all have the
same OTA....

--
md

Old July 31st 04, 08:00 PM
md

"Roger Hamlett" wrote in message

"md" not given to avoid spam wrote in message

"md" not given to avoid spam wrote in message
the meade LXD55 sells at 1700 euro, the LX200 (8") sells at 3800 euro.

why would I buy the
lx200?
--
md

yet another small correction: the LXD55 SC-8 is 2200 euro :-(

I am still confused about the differences between LX10, LX90,
LXD55SC-8, LX200 8", all are 8"
SCT's, with goto, but the prizes vary from 1700 euro (LX10) to
3800 euro (LX200). all have the
same OTA....

The LX10, is not a Goto. It has slow motion drives.
The LX90, and LX200, are similar, but the LX200, has an autoguider input
as standard, and a more rigid mount, with about twice the potential drive
resolution. Think of the LX90, as being a cutdown 'bargain' version of the
LX200. Both will need a wedge for long exposure astrophotography. For
visual use, the LX90, is the cheaper, and had proven to be a very good
buy.
The LXD model, is a GEM, not a fork mount. The 55, proved to be a very
poor mount. The 75, is the new attempt, and as yet is 'unknown'.

thanks! this is helpful, I knew about the LXD having a GEM, I have no idea what the
advantages/disadvantages of a fork over a GEM are though.

--
md

Old August 16th 04, 04:20 AM
vic20owner

thanks! this is helpful, I knew about the LXD having a GEM, I have no idea what the
advantages/disadvantages of a fork over a GEM are though.

Fork mount can only accept that one scope. GEM will accept many scopes.
Fork mount can make targets near the pole difficult. Fork mount is
big and heavy, and needs a GOOD wedge for photography. LX series is
better than the LXD series, but that doesnt mean the LXD series is
unacceptable. It depends on what you want to do. I owned an LXD55-SN8
and it was a fine scope. The mount worked great and was solid with my
8", but I wouldnt put anything bigger than an 8" on it. I just ordered
an LXD75-SC8. There are a number of improvements (it's not the same EQ
head or tripod), including PEC, bearings, better castings, new worm
gears, etc. Either scope works fine for CCD and light astrophotography.
The OTA for the LXD series is excellent for the money. The SCT is
identical to the LX series minus mirror lock. Excellent for piggyback,
usable just barely for prime focus film, and acceptable for CCD. The
LXD75 series even come with a cheap CCD camera and software which will
do up to 15 second exposures. The software will automatically grab and
stack.

Unless you can find an LXD55 dirt cheap, I'd go with the LXD75. The
LXD55 has been replaced by the LXD75. If you have 2x or 3x the money to
spend, then by all means get an LX200 and grow into it. My plan is to
use the LXD then eventually sell it and use the money plus saved money
towards the next step up. In the meantime I'll put a few different
scopes on that LXD mount.