Ahem...

Old April 30th 04, 12:18 AM
Richard

Default Ahem...

NASA perhaps mulling libido attenuation
Independent | Submitted by: Jonny Plasma
"Dr Rachel Armstrong, speaking yesterday at a British Interplanetary
Society symposium on the Human Future and Space, said the US space
agency NASA was considering how to deal with the natural urges of
astronauts travelling on long journeys such as a three-year trip to
Mars, where the six-strong crew would be likely to include two women.
'NASA is talking about the chemical sterilisation of astronauts on
longer journeys,' Dr Armstrong said... NASA was nonplussed by the
suggestion yesterday. 'I haven't heard anything about that,' said a
spokesman at NASA's Johnson Space Centre, where the long-range trips
announced by President George Bush in January are being planned."
Old April 30th 04, 12:25 AM
Wfoley2

Maybe they'll get lots of mashed potatoes using the old U.S. Army saltpeter
recipe....

Clear, Dark, Steady Skies!
(And considerate neighbors!!!)

Old April 30th 04, 12:28 AM
Jan Owen

Lettem' go fer it! We NEED resurch inta reperduction in zero gravity
space...

Can them little suckers find thar way home, co-mingul, and do their thang
up thar???

News at 11!!!

--
To reply, remove the "z" if one appears in my address

Old April 30th 04, 01:26 AM
Greg Crinklaw

Richard wrote:

NASA perhaps mulling libido attenuation
Independent | Submitted by: Jonny Plasma
"Dr Rachel Armstrong, speaking yesterday at a British Interplanetary
Society symposium on the Human Future and Space, said the US space
agency NASA was considering how to deal with the natural urges of
astronauts travelling on long journeys such as a three-year trip to
Mars, where the six-strong crew would be likely to include two women.
'NASA is talking about the chemical sterilisation of astronauts on
longer journeys,' Dr Armstrong said... NASA was nonplussed by the
suggestion yesterday. 'I haven't heard anything about that,' said a
spokesman at NASA's Johnson Space Centre, where the long-range trips
announced by President George Bush in January are being planned."

Where are you getting this highly suspicious anti-NASA crap you are
posting? Who the hell is Jonny Plasma? A reliable source?

--
Greg Crinklaw
Astronomical Software Developer

SkyTools Software for the Observer:
http://www.skyhound.com/cs.html

Skyhound Observing Pages:
http://www.skyhound.com/sh/skyhound.html

To reply have a physician remove your spleen

Old April 30th 04, 01:38 AM
BllFs6

uhhh

maybe a prereq for the women "mars naughts" is that they look and talk like
hillary clinton

Blll

PS.... i love when folks talk about astronauts going mad having to spend a year
and a half or so in small spacecraft coming and going to mars.....these folks
musta never experienced grad school or a decade or two spent in a cubicle...and
in THOSE cases getting the carrot of walking on mars isnt even in the picture

Old April 30th 04, 02:58 AM
Orion

Greg, out of curiosity, how can commenting on something NASA has, in point
of fact, stated, be considered
"Anti-Nasa-crap"?
Orion

"Greg Crinklaw" wrote in message
Richard wrote:

[...]

---

Old April 30th 04, 12:34 PM
Glenn Mulno

"Greg Crinklaw" wrote in message
Where are you getting this highly suspicious anti-NASA crap you are
posting? Who the hell is Jonny Plasma? A reliable source?

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/...p?story=516336

Glenn

Old April 30th 04, 05:18 PM
Greg Crinklaw

Glenn Mulno wrote:

"Greg Crinklaw" wrote in message

Where are you getting this highly suspicious anti-NASA crap you are
posting? Who the hell is Jonny Plasma? A reliable source?

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/...p?story=516336

Yeah, and it all boils down to an off-hand comment:

"Dr Rachel Armstrong, speaking yesterday at a British Interplanetary
Society symposium on the Human Future and Space, said the US space
agency Nasa was considering how to deal with the natural urges of
astronauts traveling on long journeys such as a three-year trip to Mars,
where the six-strong crew would be likely to include two women."

NASA consists of many research centers and a large variety of associated
research institutions. You could claim that anybody who is working on
an NASA grant is working for NASA. The tipoff to how bogus this article
is can be found in the unspecified use of the term "NASA". Unless one
is quoting the primary NASA administration, such as a directive by the
head of NASA, it is utterly idiotic and sloppy to attribute some idea
probably offered over a drink at a pub to "the US space agency Nasa".
This is bad reporting and shame on Richard for posting it here. His
anti-NASA postings of the last few days are at the very least off-topic
on SAA. I suggest he take his NASA-related politics to a more
appropriate space group.

Old April 30th 04, 05:31 PM
Glenn Mulno

"Greg Crinklaw" wrote in message
NASA consists of many research centers and a large variety of associated
research institutions. You could claim that anybody who is working on
an NASA grant is working for NASA. The tipoff to how bogus this article
is can be found in the unspecified use of the term "NASA". Unless one
is quoting the primary NASA administration, such as a directive by the
head of NASA, it is utterly idiotic and sloppy to attribute some idea
probably offered over a drink at a pub to "the US space agency Nasa".
This is bad reporting and shame on Richard for posting it here. His
anti-NASA postings of the last few days are at the very least off-topic
on SAA. I suggest he take his NASA-related politics to a more
appropriate space group.

Hmmm - Due to time constraints I try to pick and choose the articles I
read/respond to. I think I either missed Richards earlier posts you speak
of, or just did not associate them with Richard.

In any case I do not think this article is bogus or at least the concept
behind it. It is definitely a topic NASA must think about in order to take
long trips into consideration. I can't imagine they have not already talked
about this in some fashion in thinking about just the long stays on the ISS.
The answer they will ultimately need or arrive at can not be obtained at the
last minute but only through years of thought and research. You have to
think about everyone on the trip, the conditions surrounding the trip and
many other factors that I am sure I know nothing on.

I also do not see why this topic would be off topic on SAA.

What is it about this article that you don't like? Do you just think the
story is false or is it something else?

Just curious,

Glenn