Necon Optik SIB 16x50 Stabilized Image Binoculars Questions.. .

Old August 28th 03, 01:22 AM
Phil Wheeler

Default Necon Optik SIB 16x50 Stabilized Image Binoculars Questions.. .

SkyHawke wrote:
Hi all,

I am new to both the group and Astronomy. I was viewing J & R's website
tonight (they emailed me a 'special deal' thing) and noticed these pair of
Image Stabilized Binoculars:

http://www.jandr.com/JRProductPage.p...uct_Id=1949107

They claim "Uses a patented mechanical system that produces a stabilized
image without electic power source / 16x magnification " but I cannot find
any review-related information online (through google web or groups).

Sounds like they may be hand stabilized .. like my binos g

Old August 28th 03, 02:58 AM
SkyHawke

Yes, that would be interesting to patent. . .

I have a pair of Meade 9 x 63 Astronomy ("Big Honkin Binocs") that I have
learned are not all that easy to use for Astronomy. I bought them from a
local dealer because I have 30 days to trade up (10 to return). I really
wanted the Cannon image stabilizers, but they didn't have the 10 x 50's AND
the price is a little steep.

I think I might return these and go with a small scope to start (Either a
new Celestron NexTar 80GT or a used Orion SkyMax 127). Though I am having a
ball, it was very hard for my kids to focus, find, hold (I tried to hold the
binocs for them, but I cannot point them too).

OK, off topic. . .

-=SkyHawke=-

Old August 28th 03, 03:14 AM
Phil Wheeler

SkyHawke wrote:
Yes, that would be interesting to patent. . .

I have a pair of Meade 9 x 63 Astronomy ("Big Honkin Binocs") that I have
learned are not all that easy to use for Astronomy. I bought them from a
local dealer because I have 30 days to trade up (10 to return). I really
wanted the Cannon image stabilizers, but they didn't have the 10 x 50's AND
the price is a little steep.

I think I might return these and go with a small scope to start (Either a
new Celestron NexTar 80GT or a used Orion SkyMax 127). Though I am having a
ball, it was very hard for my kids to focus, find, hold (I tried to hold the
binocs for them, but I cannot point them too).

With binos, a parallelogram mount (e.g., Unimount) is the only way to
go. With those you can really see without holding.

Phil

Old September 1st 03, 12:50 AM
JOHN PAZMINO

Default Mars hype

RC From: Robert Casey
RC Organization: wa2ise
RC Subject: Mars hype
RC Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 05:33:49 GMT
RC
RC The way the news media is talking about Mars being closer than ever
RC in the last 60 thousand years in a few hours makes it sound like the
RC Earth is going to get sideswiped or something. As if Mars is going to
RC streak across the sky as big as the Moon or something....
RC In reality Mars is going to look exactly the same as it did a day ago
RC (ignoring a dust storm flare up). From my location northeast of New
RC York City, it was a bright pink star. Actually the *only* "star"
RC visible in the entire sky here in Oradell NJ. Tonight it's cloudy :-(

The sky HAS been lousy almost right up thru the proximity and
opposition of Mars. In the last couple days we got learish skies, so
mars really stands out in the southeast-south after dark. I view from
Manhattan and Brooklyn.
From reports of my correspondents, for the Yahoo NYSkies
discussion group and PazMinBits column, the viewings of Mars were very
succesful, so long as the pllanet was at all visible thru haze and
thin cloud.
Attendance at a Carl Schrz Pk viewing on Thursday evening by a
couple NYSkies members drew about 500 visitors!
The viewing at South Street Seaport by the Amateur Astronomers
Association was packed with at least a full thousand visitors. These
could well have be at the seaport already, but hey did then come to
the scopes for a look at Mars.
The ksy is more or less clear for this weekend (it rained on
Saturday) so I'll look at the planet again.
I also issue for the NYC chapter of National Space Society a
column SpaceWalk, which covered Mars for its June, July, and August
issues. Mars will also be fetured in September, under preparation now.
I caution about the htpe and urge its readers -- specially being that
they are space travel fans -- to keep watching Mars all thru the rest
of this year.

---
þ RoseReader 2.52á P005004

Old September 1st 03, 12:50 AM
JOHN PAZMINO

Default So many People 1/ 2

S From: "Starlord"
S Subject: So many People

You hit on a very raw nerve for home astronomy clubs. NASA has a
project called 'Ambassadors of space' or similar. They recruit people
from the countryside to be paraNASA agents in their twons to stage
space-themed talks, shows, and other PR events. These folk are
privisoned with NASA literature, posters, baseball caps, intro letters
on NASA letterhead, and so on.
Of course the town officials will go agag to give what ever these
ambassadors want: rooms for echibits, car service, handymen to set up
exhibits, interviews, radio/TV coverage, supper witht e mayor, and so
on.
What the catch? Home astronomy clubs are passed over. NASA hasn't
pointed advertised this project to the clubs or actively solicited
their role in it. The only thing the club can hope is that by chance
one of the chosen 'ambassadoes' happens also to be a member and can
include the club in his promos.
Hence, the home atronomy clubs aren't too pleased to see NASA pour
money, materail, support to the Ambassador project and then nothing
substantial to the club. Result? Every one goes to see and hear the
'NASA agent' and the club withers away from society's neglect.
About sidewalk starviewing. It depends largely on how the town is
structured. It seems from your past and instant posts that Rosamond
isn't very people-friendly. In a town where people can walk or stroll
on dedicated sidewalks or have transit to move them around, sidewalk
astronomy fares far better, even it thrives.
One thing that strikes me from the numerous reports here on Mars
parties is the immense flood of cars converging on the viewing site!
They clog the roads, hog space on the premises, get in each other's
way, force people to walk from far off parking spots, and shine
headlights into the viewing field, fill the local air with noxious
fumes and smoke, at the least.
Yet on October 4th, with clear skies, the American Urban Star
Fest convenes in Central Park of Manhattan. We expect about 5,000
visitors, filling the Sheep Meadow area of that park.
A parking lot for 5,000 cars ould be humongous! Like that around a
sports arena.
Guess what? Just about EVERY ONE of the visitors arrives by foot
or transit. Only a dozen, at the most, come by car. (I'm ure a bunch
arrive by taxi, but the vehicle is recycled to the street for other
riders.)
The climb down from the residence towers flaning the park, ooze
out of the subway staris dotting the perimeter of the park, hop off
buses circulating around the park.
They lay out their blanets, break out a picnic supper, gaze with
binoculars and small scopes, and generally have one hell of a funky
happy evening under the stars.
Similar scenes take place elsewhere in New York, on a much more
modest scale, like the 500ish who showed up in Carl Schurz Park for a
Mars viewing on the 28th of August under clearish skies. I can't
really count the scene at South Street Seaport on the 29th because the
seaport is filled with thousands of visitors anyway. So the
thousandish who flocked to our scopes were probably alrady on the
grounds for other attractions.

S I have contacted the local schools, back when I first moved here and then again
S a few months before my car broke down and died. It seems that unless I'm tired
S into NASA or some place on Edwards, I don't count for anything. When I was able
S to go set up on my corner, I would get kids from school who asked questions
S they'd not get answers from or for in school and they also complained about how
S the people from edwards/nasa talked "Down" to them. The only after school they
S do here are football games, unlike the schools in Hawaii that do put on such
S things. Here they say that because so many use the school bus, they can't do
S anything. I've even offered to show the classes my scope and if it was the righ
S t
S time of the month, could show them the Moon in daylight hours. That got me "You
S can't see the moon in day time!" answer!
S And ofcourse, now that I don't have a car, I can't go anywhere, I tried one tri
S p
S to the corner with my dob on a radio flyer wagon ( even have a photo of it ),
S but coming home was a nightmear of a walk along a road with no sidewalks and
S cars doing 55 past me.
S I've sent printed notices to all the newspapers in the area, called up two of
S them. Even sent notes to local radio stations and one UHF t.v. station.
S Nothing.
S The one astronomy club in the AV area, who meets down in Palmdale, knows all to
S well about me and what I do, and the first time I showed up with my Stargazer
S Steve Dob and was told I should get a Real Telescope, I've not gone back since
S then.
S So, until I can save up the moneys to buy another car, I'm now :
S The Lone ( Grounded ) Sidewalk Astronomer of Rosamond.

Continued in next message.

---
þ RoseReader 2.52á P005004

Old September 1st 03, 12:50 AM
JOHN PAZMINO

Default So many People 2/ 2

Continued from previous message.

S and as an old song by Blue eyes said: That's Life!

---
þ RoseReader 2.52á P005004