Project Mercury and CONTROL

Old May 14th 08, 05:09 PM posted to sci.space.history
Janitor_of_Lunacy

Default Project Mercury and CONTROL

We've been watching the newly released complete "Get Smart" series,
and I've noticed that there are several awfully familiar artist
renderings of project Mercury on the wall in the R&D. (One is a
cutaway orbital picture showing the capsule interior, and another is a
re-entry shot. I haven't gotten a good view of the third.)
Old May 14th 08, 06:23 PM posted to sci.space.history
Joseph Nebus

Janitor_of_Lunacy writes:

We've been watching the newly released complete "Get Smart" series,
and I've noticed that there are several awfully familiar artist
renderings of project Mercury on the wall in the R&D. (One is a
cutaway orbital picture showing the capsule interior, and another is a
re-entry shot. I haven't gotten a good view of the third.)

Oh, yes, there's a lot of early-space-race stuff in the
background images. It was almost the way to quickly establish a place
as a research lab back then.

There's also an episode where Chief, Max, and 99 go to the Moon
for a conference and grumble about how they're going to lose this great
secret meeting place soon.

--
Joseph Nebus
Old May 14th 08, 08:18 PM posted to sci.space.history
eyeball

On May 14, 12:23 pm, (Joseph Nebus) wrote:

There's also an episode where Chief, Max, and 99 go to the Moon
for a conference and grumble about how they're going to lose this great
secret meeting place soon.

--
Joseph Nebus

Which season was that? I thought I had seen every episode several
times over, but I don't remember that one...
Old May 16th 08, 06:16 PM posted to sci.space.history
Joseph Nebus

eyeball writes:

On May 14, 12:23 pm, (Joseph Nebus) wrote:

There's also an episode where Chief, Max, and 99 go to the Moon
for a conference and grumble about how they're going to lose this great
secret meeting place soon.

Which season was that? I thought I had seen every episode several
times over, but I don't remember that one...

I'm afraid I don't remember. From the context it's got to
have aired around 1968 or 1969, obviously, and I know that it's
come up before in discussions of fictional space missions, but I'm
not able to summon it from Google Groups.

Frustratingly, it wasn't actually relevant to the plot that
they were meeting on the Moon; it was just part of the teaser and so
could fit into near any episode.

--
Joseph Nebus
Old May 17th 08, 09:29 AM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Joseph Nebus wrote:
I'm afraid I don't remember. From the context it's got to
have aired around 1968 or 1969, obviously, and I know that it's
come up before in discussions of fictional space missions, but I'm
not able to summon it from Google Groups.

Frustratingly, it wasn't actually relevant to the plot that
they were meeting on the Moon; it was just part of the teaser and so
could fit into near any episode.

Have you seen the "throwing the phone handset" scene from the new one?
The movie will probably suck, but that scene is a gem. :-D

Pat
Old May 17th 08, 09:43 AM posted to sci.space.history
Dale Carlson

On Sat, 17 May 2008 03:29:43 -0500, Pat Flannery
wrote:

Joseph Nebus wrote:
I'm afraid I don't remember. From the context it's got to
have aired around 1968 or 1969, obviously, and I know that it's
come up before in discussions of fictional space missions, but I'm
not able to summon it from Google Groups.

Frustratingly, it wasn't actually relevant to the plot that
they were meeting on the Moon; it was just part of the teaser and so
could fit into near any episode.

Have you seen the "throwing the phone handset" scene from the new one?
The movie will probably suck, but that scene is a gem. :-D

Not a surprise, but I'm lost. Is there a Get Smart movie coming?

I've gotta re-read the book of Revelations. This must be in there
somewhere.

Dale
Old May 17th 08, 12:21 PM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Dale Carlson wrote:

Not a surprise, but I'm lost. Is there a Get Smart movie coming?

Yes, there is: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0425061/
Do you want me to give away the phone joke, or not?
It's really funny to see.
Anne Hathaway is no Barbara Feldon... I fell in love with Barbara Feldon
in "Get Smart" around the time I began to hit puberty.
Then I saw Ann-Margret...and Barbara Feldon was _toast_.
Barbara Feldon:
http://www.psicofxp.com/forums/image.../fems/fem2.jpg
Ann-Margret:
http://www.poster.net/ann-margret/an...et-6234536.jpg
You've got to seriously lust after a woman who has 2/3rds of her height
made up by her legs. :-D

Pat