Nocturnal Eclipse Predicted

Old September 29th 05, 12:10 PM
Mike Dworetsky

Default Nocturnal Eclipse Predicted

The headline writer on Michael Hendrie's monthly astronomy column in the
Times seems to have given a strange prediction. "Partial solar eclipse in
the night sky in October". Neat trick, but I suspect that not one person
will be able to observe this or any solar eclipse in the night sky.

--
Mike Dworetsky

(Remove "pants" spamblock to send e-mail)

Old September 29th 05, 01:36 PM
Richard Bullock

It's ok, the solar eclipse will be visible from the UK in daytime.

Incidentally, the next occurence of the Moon's disc completely obscuring
that of the Sun using a location in the UK is actually at night (i.e. both
Sun and Moon below the horizon at total eclipse.)

Anyway, back to this one;

The eclipse occurs on the 3rd October (Monday) in the morning.

From my location (South Manchester), the times for the eclipse are as
follows (BST - and to the nearest minute)

1st contact: 08:50
Maximum eclipse (54.2% obscured): 10:00
last contact: 11:15

Old September 29th 05, 02:22 PM
Pete Lawrence

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 12:36:06 GMT, "Richard Bullock"
wrote:

It's ok, the solar eclipse will be visible from the UK in daytime.

Incidentally, the next occurence of the Moon's disc completely obscuring
that of the Sun using a location in the UK is actually at night (i.e. both
Sun and Moon below the horizon at total eclipse.)

Anyway, back to this one;

The eclipse occurs on the 3rd October (Monday) in the morning.

From my location (South Manchester), the times for the eclipse are as
follows (BST - and to the nearest minute)

1st contact: 08:50
Maximum eclipse (54.2% obscured): 10:00
last contact: 11:15

Forecast for Selsey isn't brilliant for Monday morning. Fortunately,
I'll be in Madrid ;-) Would like the kids to see it though.

--
Pete
http://www.digitalsky.org.uk
Old September 29th 05, 03:36 PM
Robin Leadbeater

"Pete Lawrence" wrote in message

Forecast for Selsey isn't brilliant for Monday morning. Fortunately,
I'll be in Madrid ;-) Would like the kids to see it though.

Is that a "circular" tour or an "anular" event ;-)
Bring us back some nice pics

Robin

Old September 29th 05, 03:40 PM
Richard Bullock

From my location (South Manchester), the times for the eclipse are as
follows (BST - and to the nearest minute)

1st contact: 08:50
Maximum eclipse (54.2% obscured): 10:00
last contact: 11:15

Forecast for Selsey isn't brilliant for Monday morning. Fortunately,
I'll be in Madrid ;-) Would like the kids to see it though.

Well the times will be pretty similar for Selsey, with a slightly deeper
eclipse (60% obscuration). Have fun in Spain!

Old September 29th 05, 03:41 PM
Carsten A. Arnholm

Pete Lawrence wrote:

Forecast for Selsey isn't brilliant for Monday morning. Fortunately,
I'll be in Madrid ;-) Would like the kids to see it though.

Hi,

You can ask them to tune in to http://hyades.uio.no/live.html (check also
with http://www.astronomy.no/ or http://www.astronomi.no/ on the 3rd in case
the webcast URL changes)

We (the Norwegian Astronomical Society) are planning to webcast the eclipse
via our site using live images from members in different places in Norway,
weather permitting. We also have a team near Alicante, Spain. They will
also transmit live images every minute or so to our server. We hope to be
able to show the ring that way.....!

Clear skies
Carsten A. Arnholm
http://arnholm.org/
N59.776 E10.457

Old September 29th 05, 03:49 PM
Pete Lawrence

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 15:36:46 +0100, "Robin Leadbeater"
wrote:

"Pete Lawrence" wrote in message
.. .

Forecast for Selsey isn't brilliant for Monday morning. Fortunately,
I'll be in Madrid ;-) Would like the kids to see it though.

Is that a "circular" tour or an "anular" event ;-)
Bring us back some nice pics

Terrible puns!

I'll do my best Robin. Focus is my greatest enemy on this trip :-(
--
Pete
http://www.digitalsky.org.uk
Old September 29th 05, 03:51 PM
Pete Lawrence

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 14:40:34 GMT, "Richard Bullock"
wrote:

From my location (South Manchester), the times for the eclipse are as
follows (BST - and to the nearest minute)

1st contact: 08:50
Maximum eclipse (54.2% obscured): 10:00
last contact: 11:15

Forecast for Selsey isn't brilliant for Monday morning. Fortunately,
I'll be in Madrid ;-) Would like the kids to see it though.

Well the times will be pretty similar for Selsey, with a slightly deeper
eclipse (60% obscuration). Have fun in Spain!

I'll kit the kids out with some eclipse glasses - unused from August
1999. They should be able to figure out where to look!

Good luck to all eclipse watchers in the UK.
--
Pete
http://www.digitalsky.org.uk
Old September 29th 05, 03:52 PM
Pete Lawrence

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 16:41:32 +0200, "Carsten A. Arnholm"
wrote:

Pete Lawrence wrote:

Forecast for Selsey isn't brilliant for Monday morning. Fortunately,
I'll be in Madrid ;-) Would like the kids to see it though.

Hi,

You can ask them to tune in to http://hyades.uio.no/live.html (check also
with http://www.astronomy.no/ or http://www.astronomi.no/ on the 3rd in case
the webcast URL changes)

We (the Norwegian Astronomical Society) are planning to webcast the eclipse
via our site using live images from members in different places in Norway,
weather permitting. We also have a team near Alicante, Spain. They will
also transmit live images every minute or so to our server. We hope to be
able to show the ring that way.....!

If previous events are any indication, your coverage is sure to be
excellent as usual Carsten. Good luck on the day.
--
Pete
http://www.digitalsky.org.uk
Old September 29th 05, 04:07 PM
Robin Leadbeater

"Pete Lawrence" wrote in message

I'll do my best Robin. Focus is my greatest enemy on this trip :-(
--

Yes I have heard that can be a problem, what with all those Senhoritas