RIP Gordon Cooper

Old October 6th 04, 05:08 AM
OM

On 5 Oct 2004 20:10:46 -0700, (John Pelchat)
wrote:

Much has been said about Cooper later is his career as an astronaut .
. . and a lot was said about his book. None of that takes away from
the admiration that I had for him and the others. He along the rest
were, and remain (despite their humanity), my heros.

....I agree. While I'm somewhat convinced that Gordo slipped a cog
somewhere around the time he started giving the MUFON Morons a good
bit of ego masturbation, the fact remains that out of all the Original
7, he managed to retain that level of the "Right Stuff" that a true
Test Pilot of the Brotherhood of the Ziggurat would never allow
bureacracy to neuter. Ergo, no matter how many times he'd buzz the
admin building at below rooftop level and **** off the Walt Williams
that ran NASA, he was still far more reliable in the pinch that he was
ever given credit for. The man clearly *deserved* an Apollo mission,
and would have performed admirably. That the NASA brass didn't realize
that twice Gordo had proven his capabilities just shows that they
weren't as infallable in crew selections as they've been made out to
be.

....On a side note, about 15 years ago I worked up an outline for an
"Apollo 18" mission involving a rapidly revived lunar mission intended
to shift attention away from Watergate towards a crash effort to land
on the Moon and retrieve samples from Kohoutek, which had somehow
gotten deflected from its path and hit the Moon at an angle that
allowed for a relatively soft landing. The first third deals with
getting Nixon's head out of his ass and getting the mission funded,
the second third deals with the mission from concept to launch, while
the third deals with rescuing the sole surviving Cosmonaut from an
even more hastily thrown together Russian mission whose Zond suffered
a catastrophic failure and the LK managed to land near Kohoutek.
However, having to bring back three instead of two, the LM wasn't able
to get to the right orbital altitude, which required the CMP to fly by
the seat of his pants, find the ascent module, dock and perform crew
transfer before the AM decides to go back down. Said CMP only got the
mission because the CDR threatened to quit the mission if this pilot
wasn't assigned as part of his crew.

Said CMP was, of course, Gordo.

OM

--

"No ******* ever won a war by dying for |
http://www.io.com/~o_m

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old October 6th 04, 02:59 PM
T3

"John Pelchat" wrote in message
om...
David Sander wrote in message
Alan Questell wrote:

Gordon Cooper has died. Information is available at nasa's web site and
details should be available on CNN.com soon.

Farewell, Gordo.

David

Maybe Scott Kozel will remember the Jim Rathmann dealership over in
Melbourne. I was there one day, age 8 or 9, with my dad picking up a
part for our 63 Impala SS. Since the start of the Mercury days,
Cooper had been my favorite astronaut (children order things that
way). As we walked through the place, in other direction, came Gordon
Cooper. I was shocked, amazed and excited. My father remembers me
going right to Cooper and telling him that he was my favorite
astronaut. Cooper's smile and handshake that day only reinforced that
feeling.

Much has been said about Cooper later is his career as an astronaut .
. . and a lot was said about his book. None of that takes away from
the admiration that I had for him and the others. He along the rest
were, and remain (despite their humanity), my heros.

My condolances to those who loved him. Blue skies Gordo . . .

John Pelchat

As a very young man who was attempting to return home from a dance at the
pier, within the agreed time parameters and avoid the wrath of T2, I stuck
my thumb out in front the Bishop's Gulf station at the corner of A1A and
520. Donned only in a T-shirt, "doggers", huarache's and pleading look, this
lanky kid with sun bleached hair, the consistency of a Brillo-pad, had given
up all hope and could only imagine the impending doom that awaited at home.
I couldn't believe my luck when I saw the brakelights on the new 'vette that
had just blown past! Entering the car, I was greeted with a grin and a,
"where 'ya headed kid?" As we made our way west, I fumbled for words in an
effort to explain my situation as well as the feeble attempt at amorous
nirvana with a certain young lady under the pier. "I can't help you with
that, sport, but I'll try to get you home on time so you don't get in too
much trouble" and with those word of consolation the speed towards the
Island seemed to increase exponentially. We snaked our way through Hampton
Homes and I was deposited right in front of my house, a little tardy but
not without some hope that I could slip in unnoticed. However, all hope were
dashed when after thanking my "savior," he decided to do a "big smoky
burnout" right in front of my home! It announced my arrival to everyone in
the neighborhood but unfortunately for me, T2 as well. He was correct, I
didn't get in trouble for being late! That was an event I never tried to
talk my way out of or even share until now. Anyway, thanks for the ride, Mr.
Cooper, Godspeed........
T3

Old October 6th 04, 04:01 PM
Jud McCranie

On 6 Oct 2004 09:10:14 GMT, Dale wrote:

mission at the time) and I'd like to think that many years later he really was
the guy on the other end of the phone on Letterman's show...

I'm just about certain that it was Cooper. If it wasn't, it was
someone imitating him exactly, and that wouldn't really be necessary
for the show since most people don't know his voice.

---
Replace you know what by j to email

Old October 7th 04, 04:49 PM
Pat Flannery

Rusty Barton wrote:

Just realized. The day Sputnik 1 was launched. Kind of ironic.
Rest in peace Col. Cooper.

Died? I think not! _Abducted_ by the Space Kid while a feeble Cooper
clone's body was left in his place is a far more plausible explanation
for those willing to face _The Truth_. ;-)

At least, that's what happened to me!

Dr. John Mack
Approaching Zeta Reticuli 4

Old October 7th 04, 05:22 PM
Pat Flannery

MasterShrink wrote:

Alan Questell wrote:

Gordon Cooper has died. Information is available at nasa's web site and
details should be available on CNN.com soon.

Guess he won't be making the flight to Mars after all.

He's passing the orbit of Pluto as we speak...er...read. Soon he will be
approaching the orbit of Goofy.

Dr. John Mack
Now on the surface of Zeta Reticuli 4 ;-)

Old October 7th 04, 05:29 PM
Pat Flannery

Neil Gerace wrote:

"Tim K." wrote in message
m...

Almost no one uses the term "ironic" correctly anymore. It's just George
Carlin and I fighting a losing battle...

Haematite and magnetite are quite ironic.

My mother used to ironic the clothes on Sunday morning.

Pat

Old October 8th 04, 11:38 PM
T3

John Pelchat wrote:
"T3" wrote in message m...

.com...

Alan Questell wrote:

[...]

Those black stripes stayed in front of the house until they repaved the
road a couple years later. I always wanted to tell Dad and my friends
the whole story but never did, sorta wished I had of now...
Tom
Old October 9th 04, 06:12 PM
Tim K.

"T3" wrote in message

[...]

Great tale that - and the mention of the old Bishops station by Beach Bowl
brought me back.
CB aerials are on the way - maybe I'll send one of Col. Cooper from last
spring