RIP Gordon Cooper

Old October 5th 04, 02:12 AM
Scott Hedrick

"Mike Flugennock" wrote in message
If I was one of those numerology k00ks, I'd be apoplectic. As it is, I'm
sadly musing over the weird irony of it.

Eh. My boy was born on Feb 2, 2002, at 2:22pm MST. My girl was born on Feb
20, 2000. Eh.

Old October 5th 04, 02:26 AM
Andrew Gray

On 2004-10-04, Alan Questell wrote:
Gordon Cooper has died. Information is available at nasa's web site and
details should be available on CNN.com soon.

http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewpr.html?pid=15188 is the press release.

So, that's Glenn, Carpenter, Schirra left?

--
-Andrew Gray

Old October 5th 04, 02:27 AM
Jud McCranie

On Mon, 4 Oct 2004 21:12:25 -0400, "Scott Hedrick"
wrote:

Eh. My boy was born on Feb 2, 2002, at 2:22pm MST. My girl was born on Feb
20, 2000. Eh.

I was born on my mother's birthday, which is the same birthday as one
of my first cousins - and she missed her mother's birthday by 1 day.
One of my sisters was born on Father's day and the other was born on
Easter. One of my sister's children was born on her birthday and
another was born on my parent's 40th anniversary. My daughter was
born at the same time of day that I was (to the minute) and she missed
her mother's birthday by 2 days.

---
Replace you know what by j to email
Old October 5th 04, 03:05 AM
MasterShrink

Alan Questell wrote:
Gordon Cooper has died. Information is available at nasa's web site and
details should be available on CNN.com soon.

Guess he won't be making the flight to Mars after all.

Godspeed Faith 7.

-A.L.
Old October 5th 04, 04:45 AM
Bill Porter

"Bill Porter" wrote in message
Plus you forgot Yang Liwei, in October 2003.

"Rusty Barton" wrote in message
On Mon, 4 Oct 2004 18:50:51 -0500, "Hoptown"
wrote:

RIP Gordo.

Would Gordo be the last person to orbit the earth by himself?

No. Komorov in 1967, Beregovoi in 1968, Shatalov and Volynov in 1969.

- Rusty Barton

Sorry about the top-posting.... trying to figure out this new $$%#%
newsreader at work. :-)

Old October 5th 04, 05:04 AM

On Mon, 4 Oct 2004 20:26:30 -0400, "Bill Porter"
wrote:

Plus you forgot Yang Liwei, in October 2003.

.. .
wrote:

RIP Gordo.

Would Gordo be the last person to orbit the earth by himself?

No. Komorov in 1967, Beregovoi in 1968, Shatalov and Volynov in 1969.

- Rusty Barton

And David R. Scott, Apollo 9.
Not the whole mission, of course.
Old October 5th 04, 06:12 AM
OM

On 5 Oct 2004 01:26:47 GMT, Andrew Gray

On 2004-10-04, Alan Questell wrote:
Gordon Cooper has died. Information is available at nasa's web site and
details should be available on CNN.com soon.

http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewpr.html?pid=15188 is the press release.

So, that's Glenn, Carpenter, Schirra left?

....Yeah, that's all. This is something we're going to be seeing a lot
more of over the next decade or so. As it stands now, here's where
Groups 1 & 2 stand above or below ground:

Full Name(*) Status
L. Gordon Cooper Jr. Deceased
Virgil I. Grissom Deceased
M. Scott Carpenter
Walter M. Schirra Jr.
John H. Glenn Jr.
Alan B. Shepard Jr. Deceased
Donald K. Slayton. Deceased

Full Name(*) Status
Neil A. Armstrong
Frank Borman
Charles Conrad Jr. Deceased
James A. Lovell Jr
James A. McDivitt
Elliot M. See Jr. Deceased
Thomas P. Stafford
Edward H. White II Deceased
John W. Young,

(*) I got lazy & pulled the list off of a text blurb on GRIN :-P

....So, of the first 16 Astronauts, seven are deceased, and nine are
still alive. If we toss in Group 3, tho:

Full Name(*) Status
Edwin E. Aldrin Jr.
William A. Anders
Charles A. Bassett II Deceased
Alan L. Bean
Eugene A. Cernan
Roger B. Chaffee Deceased
Michael Collins
R. Walter Cunninham
Donn F. Eisele Deceased
Theodore C. Freeman Deceased
Richard F. Gordon Jr.
Russell L. Schweickart
David R. Scott
Clifton C. Williams Jr. Deceased

....That gives us a total of 30 Astronauts, with 12 deceased and 18
still surviving. If we toss in Group 4, those unwanted
Scientist-Astronauts, we find the following:

Full Name(*) Status
Owen K. Garriot.
Edward G. Gibson
Duane E. Graveline Who Cares?(**)
Joseph P. Kerwin
Frank C. Michel
Harrison Hagan Schmitt

(**) I mean, the guy's almost as big a quitting wuss as O'Leary...

....This brings us to a total of 36 Astronauts - 35 if you don't count
Graveline, and probably shouldn't - and a realistic total of 23
surviving and 12 deceased. Which brings us to Group 5:

Full Name(*) Status
Vance D. Brand
John S. Bull
Gerald P. Carr
Charles M. Duke Jr
Joseph H. Engle
Ronald E. Evans Deceased
Edward G. Givens Deceased
Fred W. Haise Jr
James B. Irwin
Don L. Lind
Jack R. Lousma
Thomas K. Mattingly II
Bruce McCandless II
Edgar D. Mitchell
William R. Pogue
Stuart A. Roosa Deceased
John L. Swigert Jr Deceased
Paul J. Weitz
Alfred M. Worden

....So, adding in the "Next 19", we get 54 Astronauts. with 16 deceased
and 38 still kicking. As for the "XS-11", I'll let someone else pick
up that ball and run with it for now.

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old October 5th 04, 10:30 AM
Brian Lawrence

"OM" om@our_blessed_lady_mary_of_the_holy_NASA_researc h_facility.org wrote:

[snip]

James B. Irwin

Also deceased.

...So, adding in the "Next 19", we get 54 Astronauts. with 16 deceased
and 38 still kicking. As for the "XS-11", I'll let someone else pick
up that ball and run with it for now.

Only Karl Henize has died from the XS-11.

And only Bob Overmyer from the ex-MOL guys.

--

Brian Lawrence

Wantage, Oxfordshire, UK

RIP Gordo

---
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
http://www.grisoft.com).

Old October 5th 04, 11:53 AM
Binkly

wrote:
"Rusty Barton" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 16:26:36 -0700, Rusty Barton
wrote:

On Mon, 4 Oct 2004 19:04:11 -0400, "Alan Questell"
wrote:

Gordon Cooper has died. Information is available at nasa's web site and
details should be available on CNN.com soon.

RIP.

- Rusty Barton

Just realized. The day Sputnik 1 was launched. Kind of ironic.
Rest in peace Col. Cooper.

- Rusty Barton

RIP Gordo.

Would Gordo be the last person to orbit the earth by himself?

As others have said, no. But in the same vein, it's poetic that it was
on the same day that the X-Prize was won, with Brian Binnie joining
the ranks of those who have flown in space alone. (And disproving
again the closing words to the movie of The Right Stuff where the
narrator says that Gordo was the last American ever to fly in space
alone.)

JB
Old October 5th 04, 02:18 PM
MasterShrink

Duane E. Graveline Who Cares?(**)

(**) I mean, the guy's almost as big a quitting wuss as O'Leary...

Actually, Graveline wasn't a "quitting wuss" but someone who got his ass fired
before the first day of work because he was involved in a messy divorce where
there was suspected spousal abuse. If true, that would lead me to care less
about him than O'Leary...

...So, adding in the "Next 19", we get 54 Astronauts. with 16 deceased
and 38 still kicking.

You forgot a few. Jim Irwin and Stu Roosa passed away as well.

-A.L.