Video of daytime meteor...

Old January 6th 04, 02:45 AM
Mark N.

Default Video of daytime meteor...

Does anybody know where I can download that video of the meteor captured in
daylight? I saw this a while back - apparently some guy had a movie camera
at the beach or something and a meteor skimmed across earth's atmosphere and
then back into space. The guy just happened to film it - pretty amazing
footage!
I can't find it with Google - although I did find lots of other really neat
items :-)

Thanks,
Mark

Old January 6th 04, 03:07 AM
The Ancient One

"Mark N." wrote in message
news
Does anybody know where I can download that video of the meteor captured

in
daylight? I saw this a while back - apparently some guy had a movie

camera
at the beach or something and a meteor skimmed across earth's atmosphere

and
then back into space. The guy just happened to film it - pretty amazing
footage!
I can't find it with Google - although I did find lots of other really

neat
items :-)

Thanks,
Mark

I remember seeing a video of a meteor in Colorado like that, seems like it
was 70's, maybe early 80's.

Old January 6th 04, 03:32 AM
Mark N.

I remember seeing a video of a meteor in Colorado like that, seems like it
was 70's, maybe early 80's.

That may have been the timeframe - I was guessing early 70's, but my memory
could be a bit off...
It was a very bright and long-lived (several seconds) meteor. I remember
seeing the video on TV and the commentator saying that they suspected the
meteor was about as large as an average-sized house. I don't remember much
else, but that image is burned into my memory..

Old January 6th 04, 11:38 PM
The Ancient One

"Mark N." wrote in message
news
I remember seeing a video of a meteor in Colorado like that, seems like

it
was 70's, maybe early 80's.

That may have been the timeframe - I was guessing early 70's, but my

memory
could be a bit off...
It was a very bright and long-lived (several seconds) meteor. I remember
seeing the video on TV and the commentator saying that they suspected the
meteor was about as large as an average-sized house. I don't remember

much
else, but that image is burned into my memory..

It may have been early 70's, I'm not sure of the date either. If I get some
free time this evening I'll do a google search and see what I find.

Old January 7th 04, 02:19 AM
Dat's Me

On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 18:38:42 -0500, The Ancient One wrote:

"Mark N." wrote in message
news
I remember seeing a video of a meteor in Colorado like that, seems
like

it
was 70's, maybe early 80's.

That may have been the timeframe - I was guessing early 70's, but my

memory
could be a bit off...
It was a very bright and long-lived (several seconds) meteor. I
remember seeing the video on TV and the commentator saying that they
suspected the meteor was about as large as an average-sized house. I
don't remember

much
else, but that image is burned into my memory..

It may have been early 70's, I'm not sure of the date either. If I get
some free time this evening I'll do a google search and see what I find.

According to last nights news, there was one over Spain, showed it on tv,
might even be on the net by now.

Old January 7th 04, 03:18 PM
Mark N.

According to last nights news, there was one over Spain, showed it on tv,
might even be on the net by now.

I'll be looking for that - hopefully somebody captured some nice home
videos! In my life, I've seen only two really spectacular meteors. One was
the one that finally came to rest in the trunk of that girl's car in New
York! I was living in Maryland and just happened to be staring out of my
patio doors when I saw it go burning past. It was beautiful! The next day,
a friend of mine said that she saw it too while she was out jogging - the
only other first-hand witness that I've met.
The best however, was back around 1983. I was with a car-full of friends
and it was particularly dark that night. Suddenly, a very green bolide
burned across the sky, then crumbled, leaving a sparkling tail behind it for
about a minute. The transit of the object itself seemed to be very slow -
lasting maybe five seconds. It was HUGE and bright and what has always
amazed me is that I'm the only one who was impressed to see it. In fact, my
sister was there and saw it with us, but when I ask her today, she can't
remember!?!?!?! I can't believe that ANYBODY could've forgotten it - it was
like nothing I've ever seen.

Oh well...

Mark