The night sky 7,000,000 years ago above Earth?

Old January 5th 04, 08:47 PM
Christopher

Default The night sky 7,000,000 years ago above Earth?

Would the constellations layout in the night sky 7,000,000 years ago
be any different to how we see them today?

Old January 6th 04, 09:43 AM
Christopher

Thanks for all the replies. Our species 7 million years ago was just
an ape with a lot of potential, but in clearings in the tree tops they
would have on clear nights been able to see the stars, so I was just
wondering if the...patters of the stars would be identical to how we
see them 7 million years on, apparently not, though the three stars in
the belt of Orion might have looked as we see them.

Old January 6th 04, 07:35 PM
Jonathan Silverlight

In message , Christopher
writes
Thanks for all the replies. Our species 7 million years ago was just
an ape with a lot of potential, but in clearings in the tree tops they
would have on clear nights been able to see the stars, so I was just
wondering if the...patters of the stars would be identical to how we
see them 7 million years on, apparently not, though the three stars in
the belt of Orion might have looked as we see them.

Very bad example. The stars in Orion are some of the youngest and
brightest we know, and probably weren't there 7,000,000 years ago. In
fact we know that even though the belt stars are all about 1000 light
years away, they are moving about a milli-arcsecond a year, so in
7,000,000 years they will have moved several degrees - if they are still
there. There are stars in widely separated parts of the sky which seem
to have come from Orion.
--
Rabbit arithmetic - 1 plus 1 equals 10
Old January 6th 04, 09:32 PM
Christopher

On Tue, 6 Jan 2004 19:35:24 +0000, Jonathan Silverlight
wrote:

In message , Christopher
writes
Thanks for all the replies. Our species 7 million years ago was just
an ape with a lot of potential, but in clearings in the tree tops they
would have on clear nights been able to see the stars, so I was just
wondering if the...patters of the stars would be identical to how we
see them 7 million years on, apparently not, though the three stars in
the belt of Orion might have looked as we see them.

Very bad example. The stars in Orion are some of the youngest and
brightest we know, and probably weren't there 7,000,000 years ago. In
fact we know that even though the belt stars are all about 1000 light
years away, they are moving about a milli-arcsecond a year, so in
7,000,000 years they will have moved several degrees - if they are still
there. There are stars in widely separated parts of the sky which seem
to have come from Orion.

Right, thanks for that. Are there ANY constellations that our ape
ancestors would have seen that we see?

Old January 7th 04, 09:06 AM
Odysseus

Christopher wrote:

On Tue, 6 Jan 2004 19:35:24 +0000, Jonathan Silverlight
wrote:

In message , Christopher
writes
[...]

I can't think of any whose brightest members are all distant enough
not to have appeared to 'go their separate ways' over such a long
period of time. Most of the brightest stars we see are comparatively
close, within a couple of hundred light-years, but in seven million
years the solar system travels *thousands* of light-years in its
orbit around the centre of the Galaxy. Someone mentioned the Big
Dipper: five of its stars are believed to be in the same loose
grouping as the Sun and moving in roughly the same direction, but the
other two are quite unrelated, with their own trajectories. OTOH most
of the naked-eye deep-space objects, including the Andromeda Galaxy,
the Magellanic Clouds, the globular clusters, and the older galactic
clusters, would have appeared much as they do today (but better,
without light pollution!), although the nearer ones would have been
seen in slightly different positions.

--
Odysseus
Old January 7th 04, 10:03 AM
Christopher

On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 09:06:47 GMT, Odysseus
wrote:

Christopher wrote:

On Tue, 6 Jan 2004 19:35:24 +0000, Jonathan Silverlight
wrote:

In message , Christopher
writes
[...]

Thanks for that as well, it appears that only the good old Moon would
be familar, but even then, 7 million years back it would maybe have
yet to pick up a few craters on our side, and the Earth as well would
be due to be hit with a few big rocks.