What are the chances??

Old January 2nd 04, 04:53 AM
David Knisely

J. Scott Miller wrote:

Yes, in a further response to Bert I mention this difference too. But I am loathe to copy paragraphs of material listing similarities and differences when Bert supposedly is bright enough to go look up the references I can provide if he wants them.

Many references indicate the similarities and differences between moon rocks
and those found in the crust of the Earth, but Bert refuses to read these book
(or even acknowledge them). Thus, it would probably indeed be a waste of time
to quote them (I know, I have tried). Clear skies to you.
--
David W. Knisely
Prairie Astronomy Club:

* July 18-23, 2004, Merritt Reservoir *
* http://www.NebraskaStarParty.org *

Old January 2nd 04, 01:59 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

Hi Richard I do know Mars does not have a global magnetic field. As
David pointed out in past posts. In those posts I theorized since Mars
could have lots of iron rocks on its surface,and with those great sand
storms creating friction these rocks could become magnetic. What's wrong
with that theory? Static electricity is created by
friction,and the greater the friction the stronger the charge.
Well seems when all that moon rock was brought back it showed it was
different than Earth rock. I read this. Now has anyone else read this?
The rare element in Earth rock is ytterbium in moon rock it is not
nearly as rare. Bert

Old January 2nd 04, 02:28 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

Hi Chuck We have lots of iron here on Earth ,and not just at its core.
Think how much iron we use. It all came from the Earth's crust. So does
nickel,copper,gold.We just have to grind up Earth's rock and melt it and
out come these elements. Can you do it with any of the 830 lb of moon
rock? Chuck to me the strange part is'Why such a big difference?" Like
you mentioned about accretion disks. The rock planets were built up from
solar space dust as the sun was created. Seems this dust was not
homogenized as well as I thought it should be. We know this is
true by the different types of meteorites. Some I read that did not come
from our solar system.hmmmm Bert

Old January 2nd 04, 02:42 PM
J. Scott Miller

G=EMC^2 Glazier wrote:
Scott The Earth would have to be in a molted state when hit so hard
that one six of it broke away to give the Earth a moon. Seems gas
planets have more moons,and they captured their moons,and so did the
Earth. I know its in some books,and any theory that's in books is hard
to disagree with. Don't think iron being heavier would make all that
difference. To visualize what happened the molted rock went up about
240,000 miles and instead of falling back to Earth it went side
ways(parrel) and has been side stepping the Earth for billions of years.
That would work,but nature has a lot easier way. Bert

The reason it is the current accepted theory is that it accounts for what is
observed and it has been successfully modeled using gravity as the constructing
force. The nice thing about computer simulations is that you find that it is
quite possible for the Moon to form this way. Capture doesn't cut it on
multiple grounds, not the least of which is the similarity in chemicals found
both in Moon rocks and Earth rocks and the need for an additional body to
transfer the excess energy of the captured body to.

Maybe its time you actually go look at the model rather than wave your hands at
what you think it claims. For one thing, it does not require the material to
have reached 240,000 miles before it formed into the Moon. The Moon could have
formed closer and migrated to its current position.

Old January 2nd 04, 02:53 PM
J. Scott Miller

G=EMC^2 Glazier wrote:
Hi Richard I do know Mars does not have a global magnetic field. As
David pointed out in past posts. In those posts I theorized since Mars
could have lots of iron rocks on its surface,and with those great sand
storms creating friction these rocks could become magnetic. What's wrong
with that theory? Static electricity is created by
friction,and the greater the friction the stronger the charge.

Static surface charge will not align the atoms within a piece of rock and make
it magnetic. Given time, static charge will discharge.

Well seems when all that moon rock was brought back it showed it was
different than Earth rock. I read this. Now has anyone else read this?
The rare element in Earth rock is ytterbium in moon rock it is not
nearly as rare. Bert

Name your source and we can check the context of the statement.

Old January 2nd 04, 05:21 PM
Annie Maes

Helloooo,

So the book I have ("Falling stars. A guide to Meteors & Meteorites", by
Mike D. Reynolds) is right or wrong?

Some cristalclear skies!
Ann

"J. Scott Miller" schreef in bericht
G=EMC^2 Glazier wrote:
There is no question that meteorites that hit the moon could blast away
moon rock that will fall into the Earth gravity field.,and be found in
areas much like the Antarctic ice (where there are no rocks. So how
come when we find a meteorite we are told it came from Mars.?

Well, if one does the chemical analysis, one finds within those rocks said

to be
from Mars the same chemical characteristics of rocks analyzed on the

surface of
Mars, which happen to be different from those characteristics found in

Moon
rocks. To be very specific:

"The dozen or so rocks that are claimed to have come from Mars all have

certain
characteristics of meteorites - surface features, crystal formations, and
mineral compositions - that are not found in terrestrial rocks. One was

seen to
fall out of the sky, so we know they are from space. Most are basaltic

lavas
around 1.4 billion years old, which is much younger than common lunar

rocks or
other meteorites. By 1980, scientists had posed the question, Where in

the
solar system could there have been volcanism 1.4 billion years ago? Some
researchers suggested Mars. The large number of craters on the Martian

lava
plains suggest that they are about 1.4 billion years old. Finally, the

Viking
landers measured the composition of the Martian atmosphere, which exactly
matches the gas trapped in the rocks" ("The Universe Revealed", by Chris

Impey
and William K. Hartmann).

Old January 2nd 04, 07:06 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

Scott The moon coming out of the Earth,and knocked up to less than as
high of 240,000 miles,means to me it would need lots more energy to move
sideways and not fall back to Earth. Where did it get this sideway
energy from?. If we send a rocket up that is faster than the Earth's
escape velocity it does not orbit the Earth it goes off into space (does
not fall towards the sun ). The Hubble goes up 250 miles,and then it has
rockets to fire parrel to the Earth,and get its to reach a speed of
18,000 mph at this speed it side steps the Earth,and round and round it
goes. That is mans way,and it works. Nature has an easier way,and it
must work very well. Here we are circling the sun. There was a
theory(once upon a time) the Earth came out of the sun(in the old books)
That theory was no good.yet it was around for a long time. What does
that tell us? Bert

Old January 2nd 04, 07:55 PM
Bill Sheppard

Bert, here's a good page on the impact model, with graphics-
www.psi.edu/projects/moon/moon.html

Old January 2nd 04, 10:33 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

Hi oc Thank you for going out of your way to give me that page. Quoting
that page it said this. "Giant impact hypothesis is over 25 years old(I
read it 30 years ago) and can it be proven wrong only time will tell. It
has been disproven.wrong I have already posted.the reasons against a big
collision. I now have to find the book for Scott,he will not take my
word.about "ytterbium" Tomorrow I have to drive to Kissimmee main
library and find the book,and also tell that moon rock is different than
than Earth rock. It is not just the moon rock has no iron. Those that
like the collision theory can fudge around that. Once its in a book and
even how bad the theory is it takes many years to replace it even when
the evidence is there. Well living in Florida the Earth looks flat to
me. Bert PS If you think about it that lousy collision theory
would make a ring around the Earthy NO RinG

Old January 3rd 04, 01:44 AM
Bill Sheppard

Gadzooks, Bert. In lieu of driving out of town to a library, just for
once try going here- www.google.com and typing in 'earth moon origin'.
You'll get all the info you could possible get at the library and much
more. oc