Almost Heaven: The Story of Women in Space

Old November 9th 03, 08:32 PM
Pat Flannery

Default Almost Heaven: The Story of Women in Space

JimO wrote:

Tereshkova WAS a dog. Anybody seen her up close?

Well, Laika was a bitch, but really....

Pat

Old November 9th 03, 09:01 PM
OM

On Sun, 09 Nov 2003 17:32:41 GMT, "JimO"
wrote:

Tereshkova WAS a dog. Anybody seen her up close?

....Ah, but remember, back in those days in the Evil Soviet Empire,
good looking women were obviously traitors to the ideals of Communism,
and were sent to Siberia where they either got ugly and gained weight
to adapt to the cold, or they froze to death. Under those standards,
she was considered "attractive" because she was proletariat and plain.

Nowadays, I hear she resembles Catherine the Great in her later years
and girth...
OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old November 10th 03, 12:18 AM
JimO

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message
Well, Laika was a bitch, but really....

For punishment you will now be subjected to the Laika joke.

Russians launch dog into space.

New Yorkers express concerns over dog's safety.

Guy is talking to his Italian deli manager, who says. "I'm-a worried about
that sweet-a dog, the one-uh named Laika."

Guy answers, "Me too -- but her name isn't Laika, that's the name of the
breed."

Deli manager: "What-uh you saying?"

Guy: "She's not CALLED 'Laika', she's A 'Laika'"

Deli manager snorts: "That's-uh crazy. She's-uh no Laika, she's-uh have no
choice."

Old November 10th 03, 01:02 AM
OM

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 00:18:22 GMT, "JimO"
wrote:

Guy: "She's not CALLED 'Laika', she's A 'Laika'"

"Laika? You brought'er, *you* laika!"

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old November 10th 03, 01:44 AM
Pat Flannery

JimO wrote:

Guy: "She's not CALLED 'Laika', she's A 'Laika'"

Deli manager snorts: "That's-uh crazy. She's-uh no Laika, she's-uh have no
choice."

(Harpo honks horn, Groucho puts the moves on Margaret Dumont...)

Pat

Old November 10th 03, 04:56 AM
Kevin Willoughby

In article ,
om@our_blessed_lady_mary_of_the_holy... _facility.org says...
On Sat, 08 Nov 2003 07:13:03 -1000, "Alex R. Blackwell"
wrote:

See http://www.nytimes.com/2003/11/09/bo...09ANGIERT.html

..Well, as usual, it's one of the NYT's "you must register, yadda^3"
pages. Anyone care to repost it here to save the rest of us the
annoyance and invasion of privacy?

It is time you learned of a weird and wonderful service:
http://www.mailinator.com/mailinator/Welcome.do
Give the NY Times a fake email address that you can check if you want
to.
--
Kevin Willoughby lid

Imagine that, a FROG ON-OFF switch, hardly the work
for test pilots. -- Mike Collins
Old November 10th 03, 12:57 PM
Andrew Gray

In article , JimO wrote:

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message
Well, Laika was a bitch, but really....

For punishment you will now be subjected to the Laika joke.

(...)

Ah, yes. To add to the great incisive histories of the Soviet space
program - /Red Star in Orbit/, /Challenge To Apollo/ - we now can look
forward to /Good Luck, Tovarisch Gorky/... the secret history of Soviet
Space Humour... you can tell when someone got to the KGB archives first
and took all the good bits, can't you?

--
-Andrew Gray

Old November 10th 03, 05:29 PM
Pat Flannery

Andrew Gray wrote:

Ah, yes. To add to the great incisive histories of the Soviet space
program - /Red Star in Orbit/, /Challenge To Apollo/ - we now can look
forward to /Good Luck, Tovarisch Gorky/... the secret history of Soviet
Space Humour... you can tell when someone got to the KGB archives first
and took all the good bits, can't you?

And of course the history of Soviet Political Philosophy: "None Dare
Call It Reason"; and Marxist poetry: "Masters Of Conceits".
How about one regarding humor under Stalin? We can call it "We All Died
Laughing". :-)

Pat