Rutan is another politician.

Old November 8th 03, 04:01 PM
Michael Walsh

Default Rutan is another politician.

Not Burt, but his brother Dick.

He was just elected to Mojave East Kern Airport District Board.

Being elected to a government body makes him a politician.
Of course, if he had lost then you might be able to say that
he was "no politician" but when you win you definitely
rate the term.

OK, this is of not much importance, but it provides fuel
for a possibly inflamatory subject line.

Mike Walsh

Old November 8th 03, 04:40 PM
Alan Anderson

Michael Walsh wrote:

Not Burt, but his brother Dick.

He was just elected to Mojave East Kern Airport District Board.

Trolling, Mike? How disappointing. How about a nice game of chess, instead?
Old November 8th 03, 07:24 PM
Jeff Foust

Michael Walsh wrote:

Not Burt, but his brother Dick.

He was just elected to Mojave East Kern Airport District Board.

Being elected to a government body makes him a politician.

If memory serves, Dick Rutan ran for Congress in the Inland Empire
region of southern California (San Bernardino, Rancho Cucamonga, etc.)
in 1992. He won the Republican nomination but lost in the general
election to the incumbent, George Brown (chair of the House Science
Committee at the time.) This may not alter one's perception of when
Rutan became a "politician" (if you adopt Mr. Walsh's definition), but
does suggest an interest in politics that predates 2003.

Jeff Foust

Old November 8th 03, 07:56 PM
Andrew Gray

In article , Jeff Foust wrote:

If memory serves, Dick Rutan ran for Congress in the Inland Empire
region of southern California (San Bernardino, Rancho Cucamonga, etc.)
in 1992. He won the Republican nomination but lost in the general
election to the incumbent, George Brown (chair of the House Science
Committee at the time.) This may not alter one's perception of when
Rutan became a "politician" (if you adopt Mr. Walsh's definition), but
does suggest an interest in politics that predates 2003.

From politicalgraveyard.com:

(California) 42nd District: 1992 Nov 3:
George Brown, Jr. (Dem), elected;
Dick Rutan (Rep), defeated;
Fritz R. Ward (Libertarian), defeated.

(bit dull, that... so...)

From ourcampaigns.com:

http://www.ourcampaigns.com/cgi-bin/...?&RaceID=27876

Only lost by a 7% margin, which isn't shabby by any standards.

(Brown was actually the incumbened in a different district, the 36th -
had there been redistricting?)

--
-Andrew Gray

Old November 8th 03, 11:18 PM
Michael Walsh

Alan Anderson wrote:

Michael Walsh wrote:

Not Burt, but his brother Dick.

He was just elected to Mojave East Kern Airport District Board.

Trolling, Mike? How disappointing. How about a nice game of chess, instead?

Yes, indeed. I do admit to trolling.

However, my post was truthful and could even be considered applicable
to this particular news group.

Since Burt Rutan is operating out of Mojave perhaps having his brother
on this board is some kind of help for him.

Way out of practice on chess.

Mike Walsh

Old November 8th 03, 11:22 PM
Michael Walsh

Jeff Foust wrote:

Michael Walsh wrote:

Not Burt, but his brother Dick.

He was just elected to Mojave East Kern Airport District Board.

Being elected to a government body makes him a politician.

If memory serves, Dick Rutan ran for Congress in the Inland Empire
region of southern California (San Bernardino, Rancho Cucamonga, etc.)
in 1992. He won the Republican nomination but lost in the general
election to the incumbent, George Brown (chair of the House Science
Committee at the time.) This may not alter one's perception of when
Rutan became a "politician" (if you adopt Mr. Walsh's definition), but
does suggest an interest in politics that predates 2003.

Jeff Foust

I will clarify that I do not believe the term politician is a bad word.
If you elect people without political skills and can be truthfully labeled

as non-politicians there is another term for them, failures.

In the more classical case some-one runs claiming " I am not a politician,

I am a true man-of-the-people who will clean up the messes left by
other politicians" and wins.

These people are really examples of highly skilled politicians.

Mike Walsh

Old November 10th 03, 09:07 PM
Aleta Jackson

Michael Walsh wrote in message ...
Not Burt, but his brother Dick.

He was just elected to Mojave East Kern Airport District Board.

Being elected to a government body makes him a politician.

I'm not certain what you are trying to imply here but you should be
aware of a few facts about Mojave, the Mojave Airport, and Dick Rutan.

First, Dick, an officer and a gentleman, lives here. Mojave is his
home.
Second, he owns airplanes and a hangar on the Mojave Airport.
Third, Dick is XCOR Aerospace's chief test pilot.
Fourth, Dick is a licensed pilot instructor. He works on the Mojave
Airport.
Fifth, Mojave is a small town of about 3,500 people. We are a closely
knit community and many of us take it in turns being on various boards
and committees. That does not make us politicians: it means we are
good citizens.
Sixth, Dick is a civic-minded individual who is concerned about
Mojave's future.
Seventh, a by-pass for Highway 58 has just opened to the east of
Mojave, thereby decreasing traffic (about 10,000 semi-trailer trucks a
day used to come through Mojave). This has reduced income to many of
the businesses that cater to the traffic than runs thru Mojave (one
business has already closed).
Eighth, the Mojave Airport is a big economic driver in this area.
Mojave Airport used to be a Marine base, and is one of the success
stories of transfer of a military base to civilian use. However, money
made available to other recently closed bases has lured a couple of
large tenants away from Mojave, and we have lost over $3 million in
annual income.
Ninth, the Mojave Airport has applied to become a space port.
Lastly, Stu Witt, the airport manager, requested the people who live
and work here to get more involved with the airport, so that Mojave
doesn't need to depend so much on tourists stopping for lunch or
dinner, or truckers staying overnight. Dick's response to Stu's
request was to run for the board. Others of us are helping in other
ways.

Dick understands the needs of our community and the airport. He
recognizes that his experiences, his fame, and his knowledge can help
the community recover from the econimic body-blows we have suffered
from the by-pass and loss of airport tenants. He wants to see the
Mojave Spaceport become a reality.

Far from being some power-seeking politician, he is doing what he can
to help his friends and neighbors.

Any other questions about Mr. Dick Rutan should be directed to his web
site: www.dickrutan.com

Aleta Jackson
XCOR Aerospace
Old November 10th 03, 11:38 PM
Michael Walsh

Aleta Jackson wrote:

Michael Walsh wrote in message ...
Not Burt, but his brother Dick.

He was just elected to Mojave East Kern Airport District Board.

Being elected to a government body makes him a politician.

I'm not certain what you are trying to imply here but you should be
aware of a few facts about Mojave, the Mojave Airport, and Dick Rutan.

I assure you, that I meant no disrespect to Dick Rutan.

First, Dick, an officer and a gentleman, lives here. Mojave is his
home.
Second, he owns airplanes and a hangar on the Mojave Airport.
Third, Dick is XCOR Aerospace's chief test pilot.
Fourth, Dick is a licensed pilot instructor. He works on the Mojave
Airport.
Fifth, Mojave is a small town of about 3,500 people. We are a closely
knit community and many of us take it in turns being on various boards
and committees. That does not make us politicians: it means we are
good citizens.

Sorry, but it does make you politicians. Local offices are political
bodies down at the level where direct contact is made between the
public and the local officials.

These people don't meet the requirements to be labeled
"professional politicians" that I would assume applies to someone who
makes politics his profession.

[...]

And if he is going to be effective in doing this he will have to be a
good politician. Every thing you say shows that he will be involved
in the political interface between local, regional, and national political
bodies.

Any other questions about Mr. Dick Rutan should be directed to his web
site: www.dickrutan.com

Aleta Jackson
XCOR Aerospace

I use this as an example of a perfectly good word, politics, and a name
applied to people practicing politics, politicians.

This is quite similar to the term "hacker" that started out as a term
applied to people skilled in using computers. These were people
who worked at the lower level and "hacked" code as opposed to
those who took more of a computer science and software engineering
approach to producing software.

Of course, now the honorable term "hacker" is used by the media
as a description of someone who breaks into other people's
computer systems illegally.

We would all be better off if more civic minded people took an
interest in how politics affected them, and in turn, became effective
politicians.

Mike Walsh

Old November 11th 03, 04:30 AM

Michael Walsh wrote in message ...

Not Burt, but his brother Dick.

Being elected to a government body makes him a politician.

Nonsense. Being elected doesn't make someone a politician any more
than posting to sci.space.policy makes someone a journalist.

OK, this is of not much importance, but it provides fuel
for a possibly inflamatory subject line.

And this makes it worth posting, why?

-R
Old November 11th 03, 04:55 AM
George William Herbert

wrote:
Michael Walsh wrote:
OK, this is of not much importance, but it provides fuel
for a possibly inflamatory subject line.

And this makes it worth posting, why?

I hereby nominate Randall for the nebulous distinction
of being the s.s.policy poster whose online behaviour
closest matches his in person demeanor.

Don't ever change, Randall... 8-)

-george william herbert