binocular deals?

Old August 4th 05, 06:21 PM
Esmail Bonakdarian

Default binocular deals?

Hi,

from time to time there used to be postings on great deals on
binoculars (oberwerk?) on s.a.a. .. I just briefly scanned the
group but didn't come across anything recent.

Overall I am very happy with my 10x50 Orion WA, but they have come out
of collimation and I have to send them in for repair which leaves
me without binoculars - and probably $50 less.

So, I am looking for a 2nd pair and recommendations. I can hold
the 10x50s quite comfortably, so that wouldn't be a bad size, but
I'm open to others. Nothing too pricey though ... :-)

Thanks,
Esmail
Old August 4th 05, 08:10 PM
Jim Hewitt

Check out Adorama - they have some Nikon Action series binos on sale. I
just ordered a pair of 10x50's for $80.
I used a firend's pair last week - they seemed nice enough. Bright, wide
field (6.8 deg) and just over 2 lbs. 25 year warranty; and Nikon's special
repair/replacement for any reaason for $10 plus s/h. Shouldn't have to pay
for collimantion for a long time.

I can't advise for other sizes.

Good luck.

Jim

Old August 5th 05, 12:35 AM
VicXnews

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...goods&n=507846
Old August 5th 05, 01:53 AM
Esmail Bonakdarian

VicXnews wrote:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...goods&n=507846

Hi there,

Thanks for the link, but 15x70 is too big (great price though!) for
me .. I use my binoculars as "preliminary finder" to scope out the
area of the sky I am going to use my scope on, so I want something
I can hand hold.

I am now thinking about these Oberwerk 11x56mm

http://www.bigbinoculars.com/1156.htm

for about $100, any comments/thoughts about these?

Thanks,
Esmail
Old August 5th 05, 01:57 AM
Esmail Bonakdarian

Jim Hewitt wrote:
Check out Adorama - they have some Nikon Action series binos on sale. I
just ordered a pair of 10x50's for $80.
I used a firend's pair last week - they seemed nice enough. Bright, wide
field (6.8 deg) and just over 2 lbs. 25 year warranty; and Nikon's special
repair/replacement for any reaason for $10 plus s/h. Shouldn't have to pay
for collimantion for a long time.

Hi Jim,

thanks for the posting.

I looked for these, both Adorama, and Amazon offer them at a great
price, but both are out of stock currently.

I am now thinking about these Oberwerk 11x56mm

http://www.bigbinoculars.com/1156.htm

for about $100, any comments/thoughts about these?

I am going to keep checking to see when the Nikons come in again,
but in the meantime I'm considering these. (Nikon's warranty
deal sounds sweet!)

Unfortunately, I will have to pay Orion to collimate my current
binoculars. I think I will wait to send them in until I have a
replacement.

Esmail
Old August 5th 05, 06:14 PM
Jim Hewitt

Esmail,

I don't know anything about those Oberwerks. I do have a friend that LOVES
his Oberwerks, whatever size-power they are. I almost got some a year ago
but didn't for some reason or another.

As for the Nikons, yes they are out of stock on the 10x50, but Adorama does
have the 12x50 for $85. I have not looked through the 12x50's like I have
the 10x50s but would expect similar performance with smaller field of view.

I only mention these because I considered them when the others were out of
stock.

Old August 5th 05, 06:27 PM
Stephen Paul

I am now thinking about these Oberwerk 11x56mm

Why not the 8x? They would be less affected by shaky arms, wouldn't they?

I'm also interested.

Old August 5th 05, 07:16 PM
Esmail Bonakdarian

Stephen Paul wrote:
"Esmail Bonakdarian" wrote in message

I am now thinking about these Oberwerk 11x56mm

Why not the 8x? They would be less affected by shaky arms, wouldn't they?

I'm also interested.

Hi Stephen,

I ordered the 11x56 late last night, and they are shipping
today ;-)

I went with 11x56 instead of 8x? because I have a pair of 10x50WA
from Orion which have worked very well for me in the past. I like
the magnification. 11x56 is just different enough from my 10x50s
to try out (a bit more mag, and more light, bit heavier though).
Cheaper than, but same weight as the Oberwerk 10x50s.

Based on what I have read about Oberwerks, they offer a great
value for the price. And they can be user-collimated. My Orions
have to go back to Orion for collimation, might cost me about $50
and be gone for up to 3 weeks which got me thinking about getting
a second pair of binoculars.

Cheers,
Esmail
Old August 5th 05, 07:21 PM
Esmail Bonakdarian

hello again Jim,

I don't know anything about those Oberwerks. I do have a friend that LOVES
his Oberwerks, whatever size-power they are. I almost got some a year ago
but didn't for some reason or another.

I did a lot of reading up on the net yesterday, and everyone seems to
think that the Oberwerks offer a great deal for their price. I ended
up ordering the 11x56 Oberwerk last night, they are shipping today ;-)

As for the Nikons, yes they are out of stock on the 10x50, but Adorama does
have the 12x50 for $85. I have not looked through the 12x50's like I have
the 10x50s but would expect similar performance with smaller field of view.

I was all set on getting the Nikon 10x50s after getting your
recommendations and what others also said about them - I esp like
their warranty, but since they were out I looked around and found
the Oberwerk. I should get them on Monday, they are coming from only
about 140 miles away.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge, glad to see that s.a.a. is still
as nice a place as it used to be.

Cheers,
Esmail
Old August 5th 05, 08:16 PM
Howard Lester

"Esmail Bonakdarian" wrote

Thanks for sharing your knowledge, glad to see that s.a.a. is still
as nice a place as it used to be.

That's because there are only six guys left who aren't in your killfile.