the life of you guys

Old April 25th 05, 02:04 PM
Das

What do you guys do for a living, i mean, is it anything to do with
astronomy or completely different?

Stuart,

Well done for starting such an interesting post!

I usually only glance through this newsgroup when having me lunch,
or (as it is now) the computers are buggered.

Can any of us escape from computers?

I sit in front of a Linux PC all day, as part of a team of about a
dozen of us around Europe who calibrate the XMM-Newton telescope.
see, e.g. http://www.src.le.ac.uk/projects/xmm/
basically, as the instruments degrade, we calculate/guess how it is
degrading. The data goes through some software to compensate for the
degredation before going to the astronomers. For example, when a
X-ray hits the CCD camera it creates a packet of charge; as that
charge is read-out, some of that charge is lost; the amount of charge
lost changes throughout the mission (which is not a smooth change - it
tends to degrade it steps depending on solar activity). So we have to
compensate for all that stuff.

It's all interesting stuff - which is unfortunatly nullified by
arguing with computers & software to work out the numbers!

Oh, and I'm also very good at stealing/using other people's
telescopes & equipment!

ta,

Das

PS Computers are working again...
Old April 25th 05, 06:19 PM
John Carruthers

What do you guys do for a living, i mean, is it anything to do with
astronomy or completely different?

Let's see; glazier( plastic windows, leaded lights, stained glass,
shopfronts etc.) , chippy, plasterer's mate, antique restorer,
poacher, mechanic, welder, plumber, yarl, armourer, unemployed,
disabled, OU student, ATM....
"...and now for something completely different..."
jc

--
http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/jc_atm/

Old April 26th 05, 09:21 AM
Pete Lawrence

On 25 Apr 2005 05:24:35 -0700, (Das) wrote:

How do you rate the PST for image taking (assuming you have taken any
images with it?).

Hi Pete et al,

A mate has one in Madrid (were I have to go to hide from Pete's rain
making equipment), see:

http://www.star.le.ac.uk/~dbl/observ...05.html#150305

Bear in mind that I'm crap compared to Pete (et al)'s photo taking
abilities.

I'm going again in a few weeks. this time, I'll take a TouCam and a
big external hard drive....

cheers,

Das

PS Pete - they now teach something called "pbl" at leics uni astro.
It's stands for "problem based learning", and not "Pete B Lawrence".
What does your B stand for (...thus setting everyone up!)

"Based" strangely.
--
Pete
http://www.digitalsky.org.uk
Old May 13th 05, 09:23 AM
TeaTime

"John Carruthers" wrote in message
What do you guys do for a living, i mean, is it anything to do with

astronomy or completely different?

Hi John, Well I've worked in the fresh meat market, a cakes and bread firm
and then as a moulder in a business making candles.
Turn 'em out knaves, all three.