Jupiter observations - 2 recent, 1 not so recent

Old June 2nd 04, 03:38 AM
Craig MacDougal

Default Jupiter observations - 2 recent, 1 not so recent

The weather cooperated over the weekend, and I got some sketches. While
preparing this note, I discovered that I never told y'all of an observation
I did in April. So, here you go:

http://pages.prodigy.net/macdouc/jupmacd040417.jpg
http://pages.prodigy.net/macdouc/jupmacd040529.jpg
http://pages.prodigy.net/macdouc/jupmacd040601.jpg

Craig in Tampa

Old June 2nd 04, 07:22 AM
Dan Chaffee

On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 02:38:35 GMT, "Craig MacDougal"
wrote:

The weather cooperated over the weekend, and I got some sketches. While
preparing this note, I discovered that I never told y'all of an observation
I did in April. So, here you go:

Craig,

I haven't been able to get a real look at Jupiter for a couple of
weeks now, but I remember that striking rift in the NEB around
4-17 and also did a sketch. I'm surprised you didn't see any
of the usual turbulence following the GRS in the SEB as suggested
in your 5-29 study.

Dan C.

Old June 2nd 04, 12:44 PM
gswork

"Craig MacDougal" wrote in message ...
The weather cooperated over the weekend, and I got some sketches. While
preparing this note, I discovered that I never told y'all of an observation
I did in April. So, here you go:

http://pages.prodigy.net/macdouc/jupmacd040417.jpg
http://pages.prodigy.net/macdouc/jupmacd040529.jpg
http://pages.prodigy.net/macdouc/jupmacd040601.jpg

Craig in Tampa

These are interesting. I looked at Jupiter through a short-tube 80mm
refractor (at around x80), over a similar period too, and could just
about make out two dark bands nearer the centre. Your instrument is
presumably more powerful than this! I found it interesting to note
the changing positions of the galilean moons between observations too.
Old June 3rd 04, 05:19 AM
Craig MacDougal

"gswork" wrote in message
om...
These are interesting. I looked at Jupiter through a short-tube 80mm
refractor (at around x80), over a similar period too, and could just
about make out two dark bands nearer the centre. Your instrument is
presumably more powerful than this!

Well, with a little more magnification (like 100x), and all the usual "good
conditions" you will likely see a few more bands. The GRS will first give
the impression of a "fat" part in the band. Once your attention is drawn to
it, you may be able to trace the outline of the Spot.

I found it interesting to note
the changing positions of the galilean moons between observations too.

I love that. My first telescope couldn't even show the main bands that you
saw, but for one summer as a child I was out every clear night watching the
dance of the moons.

Clear Skies,
Craig in Tampa

Old June 3rd 04, 05:19 AM
Craig MacDougal

"Dan Chaffee" wrote in message
I'm surprised you didn't see any
of the usual turbulence following the GRS in the SEB as suggested
in your 5-29 study.

Yes, I noticed the lack of turbulence. Almost all of Jupiter seemed kind of
"low contrast". I thought that maybe seeing was worse than my original
estimate. However, I have since seen some nice web cam images taken about
the same time, and it appears the turbulence just isn't there. It MIGHT be
related to the GRS being "on the move" again. I got a timing that puts it at
a system 2 longitude of 97. Last month it was at 93. Years ago (I'd have to
dig out my notes to remember how many) I "caught" the GRS increase its
longitude by over 10 degrees in 10 days. Before the shift there was much
turbulence, like we have seen this year. After the shift, all the turbulence
was gone. This may be the same deal.

Seeing must have been pretty good since I was able to detect the STB oval
"BA". It was right at the edge averted imagination. :-) I'm pretty sure that
I didn't "wish it into being" since I didn't know beforehand how close it
was to the GRS.... The stuff in the EZ was similarly low contrast.

At any rate, it was good to have old Jove in the eyepiece.

Clear Skies,
Craig in Tampa