Taking a PST on an airline

Old July 20th 07, 05:37 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
David Cash[_2_]

Default Taking a PST on an airline

Hi to the group,

I'm off on holiday to Mallorca and was wondering whether to take a Coronado
PST with me. Has anybody had any problems taking a Coronado PST on an
aircraft? Is it best to take one as carry on hand luggage or to put it in a
suitcase in the aircraft hold?

With the current high security requirements I was wondering what the best
practice is.
Has anybody had any security problems, experiences etc. ?

Regards
Dave Cash

Old July 20th 07, 10:05 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Robert Williams

Hi there David,

Last year I took my PST on a BA flight to Libya for the Eclipse.

I wrapped it in 'bubblewrap' and then put that inside a 'large' padded
envelope (bubble wrap lined) and carried inside my rucksack
with other items to protect it further.

I had no problems getting it through BA airport security at Heathrow Airport
and the Libyans did not ask to see
what it was.

In fact the Libyan people were most intrigued!

hope this helps

Robert

Old July 20th 07, 10:41 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
David Cash[_2_]

Hi Robert,

Thanks for your reply. I was thinking of taking mine in the same manner.

Regards
Dave Cash

Old July 20th 07, 11:09 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Paul Buglass

Hi Dave,

I just took a pair of 15 x 70 binoculars to Spain and back last week without
any problems. I carried then in my hand luggage along with my DSLR and
stuff all wrapped in towels and padding. A camera tripod was also wrapped
in towels and packed in the check-in case.

There were no issues at security, even when the "interesting" X-ray image of
the large amounts of optics, etc showed up on the screens.

They may give a PST more than a second look of course, because it does have
an interesting shape which may not initially look like a telescope, but I
can't see it causing any issues once it's true nature is established.

Very best wishes

--

Paul B, York, UK.

York Astronomical Society
www.yorkastro.co.uk
Please buy from the YAS web shop and help YAS raise funds

Old July 21st 07, 12:24 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Paul L Money

Hi gang,,

Hi Dave,

I just took a pair of 15 x 70 binoculars to Spain and back last week without
any problems. I carried then in my hand luggage along with my DSLR and
stuff all wrapped in towels and padding. A camera tripod was also wrapped
in towels and packed in the check-in case.

There were no issues at security, even when the "interesting" X-ray image of
the large amounts of optics, etc showed up on the screens.

They may give a PST more than a second look of course, because it does have
an interesting shape which may not initially look like a telescope, but I
can't see it causing any issues once it's true nature is established.

Very best wishes

However on a more cautionary note, I flew from Coventry Airport (no
comments please) to Faro to go to COAA and I took my Equinox 80ED in my
hand luggage wrapped in bubble wrap. I got pulled over at Coventry
security and I had to explain what it was!! I ended up taking the
telescope out of the bubble wrap before the (pedantic) security guard
grudgingly let me through. I guess it means that it depends on the
security at each airport so be prepared to have to explain how a
telescope works and what it's made of!!

Regards

Paul M
--
For my web site - Astrospace go to http://www.astrospace.co.uk
For Astro holidays that are outathis world go visit the following:
Old July 21st 07, 09:43 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
David Cash[_2_]

Hi Paul & Paul,

Thanks for both your replies. I'm flying out today so it will be
intereresting to see how I get on. My main worry was that the PST does have
an "interesting" shape and so I expect that I will be pulled over and have
to explain what it is. I only hope that the security staff don't insist on
taking the PST apart!

I will post my experiences when I get back so others can benefit.
Thanks again

Dave Cash

Old July 21st 07, 06:11 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Andy G

Thats some good info as I will be bringing a Coronado Solarmax scope back
with me from New York in September

Cheers

Andy

Mr Andrew R Green B.Sc(Hons) FRAS.

Old July 22nd 07, 10:39 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Pete Lawrence[_1_]

On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 00:24:37 +0100, Paul L Money
wrote:

[...]

You should have wrapped it up in black insulation tape!
--
Pete
http://www.digitalsky.org.uk
Old July 22nd 07, 12:57 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Paul Buglass

Hi Paul,

Hope you are keeping well?

You obviously don't have an honest face mate ;-).

Very best wishes and clear, dark skies.

Old July 29th 07, 12:21 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
David Cash[_2_]

Hi to the group,

I have just returned from my trip to Mallorca and took my PST with me as
hand luggage. I wrapped it in a soft thick towel and kept inside a rucksack.
I also took a small table top tripod and a couple of eyepieces.

Happily I can report that I experienced no problems whatsoever. None of the
outward or return security people were interested in the oddly shaped PST at
all. I didn't even get asked to take it out of my rucksack!

I will definitely take it with me again to sunnier climes.
Hope this helps other travellers.

Regards
Dave Cash