Galaxy Zoo - where's the best forum to discuss images?

Old July 24th 07, 10:39 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
801

Default Galaxy Zoo - where's the best forum to discuss images?

Icarus:

801 wrote:
Icarus:

Could someone please tell me where on the Internet is the best place
to discuss images seen on Galaxy Zoo?

Example:

http://cas.sdss.org/astro/en/tools/e...38946137817120

I can't tell whether this is a bright blue star in front of an
elliptical galaxy, or something else.

Cheers!

John.

Hi John,

Although some images might inspire further discussion, the web page
itself says "There's no need to agonise for too long over any one
image, just make your best guess in each case."
I take more time for some images, and zoom in or out using the same
tool you did. Just to say that I take it as seriously as you
apparently do. However, when I'm in real doubt I use the "Star/Don't
know" button. I think that when they put that message next to every
image, they really don't want you to agonise for too long... Probably
the "Star/Don't know" button brings images to their attention as
well, but that's just a wild guess.

Galaxy Zoo is fun, and interesting too. I'm glad to see I'm not the
only one who thinks so.

Sensible comments, thank you. I wouldn't call myself any sort of
astronomer, amateur or otherwise, but I'm always interested in learning
about cosmology (amongst other things), so as well as being useful science I
also see Galaxy Zoo as a chance for me to learn something new and
interesting. If I can better understand what's going on in these images
then I'll hopefully be a little better at categorising galaxies *and* it'll
be more satisfying too :-)

Hi John,

Hmmm, hadn't thought about looking at it that way.
Same here BTW, just starting with my first 'scope, so maybe I could learn
a thing or two myself. Please keep it up, and forget what I said earlier.

Boi.
Old July 24th 07, 11:10 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Icarus

801 wrote:

snippage...
...just starting with my first 'scope, so maybe I could
learn a thing or two myself.

Congratulations :-) Hope you have many hours of interesting observations
with it.

I learned something about Galaxy Zoo last night (which you may know already,
apologies if this is the case): If you click on the 'Galaxy Ref' for an
image, and then click on 'Navigate', you can find out what most of the
objects in the image are - generally stars or galaxies - and in many cases
see the red shift of the objects too. So, it becomes easier to figure out
what you're looking at if one object is superimposed on another, e.g. to
disentangle galaxies (using the red shift to determine whether they are
widely separated galaxies which just happen to line up from our point of
view, or whether they are really the same distance from us). There's more
about this in the FAQ.

Fascinating stuff :-)

Old July 25th 07, 01:04 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
801

Icarus:

801 wrote:

snippage...
...just starting with my first 'scope, so maybe I could
learn a thing or two myself.

Congratulations :-) Hope you have many hours of interesting observations
with it.

Duh! ;-)

I learned something about Galaxy Zoo last night (which you may know already,
apologies if this is the case)

(snippetyclick)

I didn't. Very nice stuff. Cheers mate!

Fascinating stuff :-)