plate tectonics is based on what assumptions?

Old September 9th 06, 04:18 AM posted to sci.geo.geology,sci.physics,sci.astro,sci.geo.earthquakes
don findlay

Default plate tectonics is based on what assumptions?

Timberwoof wrote:
In an obscure thread in this ng that you Real Geologists wouldn't touch
with a ten-foot pole, this Don Findlay person wrote that plate tectonics
theory is "based on the assumption of a panthalassa." I wrote that that
is wrong. Plate tectonics theory is based on the assumption that
physics, geochemistry, geophysics, thermodynamics, fluid flow,
seismography, astronomic theories on planetary formation, and so forth
are correct. (Observations and interpretations follow, with the
conclusion that the curst consists of plates that move around ... and
that the continents were stuck together in various supercontinent
configurations in the past.)

Of course, since you Real Geologists know better than to waste your time
arguing with that funny little man who won't talk to you at geodynamics
conferences down under, none of you read that, nobody answered me, and
now he's dancing with glee. Maybe he thinks I'm as lonely as he is. Not
that I actually care what Don "200 years of physics is wrong" Findlay
thinks‹I just want to know whether my assessment is on target.

Any Real Geologists wish to chime in on this? (Shut up, Don.)

Yep,.. Come on folks, ..This is a "Come all ye..." (sandbags), .. Step
right up, ..this way please, ..give the Woof your tuppence.. prop
him up, .. shake him up.

Now, Woof, ..I reckon you're being a shrinking violet here, posting
this like a message-in-a-bottle and hoping it will wash up just on a
geological beach, so I'm going to cross-post it to physics and astro.
Maybe, if you really want some support, you could cross-post to talk
origins too. I can't go there without bothering to set up a new
account, so you can have a field day, ...in amongst all the white noise
- on the beach. (Maybe Carsten will even come out, high stepping and
sporting new leggo.) They think they have some real geologists over
there too... though I don't know if they've proved they can plug gaps
any better than the mob here - and you've seen the measure of that
already.

--
Timberwoof me at timberwoof dot com http://www.timberwoof.com
Dear aunt, let's set so double the killer delete select all.