true colors of space

Old December 24th 11, 04:35 AM posted to alt.astronomy,sci.astro,sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

Default true colors of space

On Fri, 23 Dec 2011 19:41:37 -0500, "Jonathan"
wrote:

What I saw was a large heart-shaped cloud some /6 times/
the apparent diameter of the full moon, and it was bright
deep red. I looked at it for a good half an hour and it
appeared just like a diffuse version of this...

True color image of LMC
http://aramis.obspm.fr/~heydari/projects/N159/

That isn't a true color image. And it isn't the LMC. It's a highly
enhanced image of an Ha nebula within the LMC. Your eye could never
see natural Ha emissions in a region like this as anything but gray.

I don't doubt that you saw red, but it wasn't the natural color of the
LMC you were seeing. Galaxies aren't red- even if you had the visual
sensitivity to detect it.

Except the naked-eye allows some depth perception
giving a more 3d view of its shape. All that combined
into a jaw-dropping view from that little window.

There is no depth perception possible for stars and DSOs. Certainly,
there are optical illusions that might make it seem so, but that's all
they are... illusions.

Have you ever seen the night sky at 35,000 feet?

From an airplane, yes. It's not as good as I have here at home at
9,000 feet. I've also seen it from the ground at over 14,000 feet, and
the view from 9,000 feet is definitely better. In fact, the view from
sea level is better than from 14,000 feet.
Old December 24th 11, 11:31 AM posted to alt.astronomy,sci.astro,sci.astro.amateur
Painius[_1_] Painius[_1_] is offline
Banned

wrote:

[...]

From an airplane, yes. It's not as good as I have here at home at
9,000 feet. I've also seen it from the ground at over 14,000 feet, and
the view from 9,000 feet is definitely better. In fact, the view from
sea level is better than from 14,000 feet.

Reddish hues are frequently seen when the sky object is fairly near
the horizon (for the same reason that the Sun's rays grow redder as it
sets -- more atmosphere to redden the rays).

--
Happy Holidays!
and Warm Wishes for the New Year!
Old December 24th 11, 12:27 PM posted to alt.astronomy,sci.astro,sci.astro.amateur
HVAC[_2_]

On 12/23/2011 8:02 PM, Brad Guth wrote:

Apparently, our NASA/Apollo guys with all the right stuff were
colorblind, as well as otherwise extremely nearsighted because none of
them could see Sirius nor the planet Venus.

That cause Venus is a gay planet.

--
"OK you ****s, let's see what you can do now" -Hit Girl
Old December 24th 11, 02:22 PM posted to alt.astronomy,sci.astro,sci.astro.amateur
G=EMC^2[_2_]

On Dec 24, 7:27*am, HVAC wrote:
On 12/23/2011 8:02 PM, Brad Guth wrote:

Apparently, our NASA/Apollo guys with all the right stuff were
colorblind, as well as otherwise extremely nearsighted because none of
them could see Sirius nor the planet Venus.

That cause Venus is a gay planet.

--
"OK you ****s, let's see what you can do now" -Hit Girlhttp://www.youtube..com/watch?v=CjO7kBqTFqo

Universe is in black and white. It has dots of blue,and red. Looking
at M87 even with the energy of a trillion solar masses it is a picture
inhanced with color(red,yellow and green added) TreBert
Old December 24th 11, 02:24 PM posted to alt.astronomy,sci.astro,sci.astro.amateur
Brad Guth[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

From an airplane, yes. It's not as good as I have here at home at
9,000 feet. I've also seen it from the ground at over 14,000 feet, and
the view from 9,000 feet is definitely better. In fact, the view from
sea level is better than from 14,000 feet.

Reddish hues are frequently seen when the sky object is fairly near
the horizon (for the same reason that the Sun's rays grow redder as it
sets -- more atmosphere to redden the rays).

--
Happy Holidays!
* and Warm Wishes for the New Year!
Indelibly yours,
Paine @http://astronomy.painellsworth.net/
"There is a great warrior within all of us. *What wakes yours up?"

A supernovae flash that happened before our time but just now
illuminated the LHC to our delayed perspective, would help explain how
those molecular gasses and metallicity of the LHC became visible to
the naked eye. This could also spell doom and gloom for us if that
same degree of energy illuminations were about to ionize our solar
system. Perhaps we missed another cosmic bullet.

http://translate.google.com/#

Old December 24th 11, 03:17 PM posted to alt.astronomy,sci.astro,sci.astro.amateur,sci.physics
HVAC[_2_]

On 12/24/2011 9:22 AM, G=EMC^2 wrote:

Universe is in black and white. It has dots of blue,and red. Looking
at M87 even with the energy of a trillion solar masses

You're only off by a factor of a thousand, but who's counting?

--
"OK you ****s, let's see what you can do now" -Hit Girl
Old December 24th 11, 05:03 PM posted to alt.astronomy,sci.astro,sci.astro.amateur,sci.physics
G=EMC^2[_2_]

On Dec 24, 10:17*am, HVAC wrote:
On 12/24/2011 9:22 AM, G=EMC^2 wrote:

Universe is in black and white. It has dots of blue,and red. *Looking
at M87 even with the energy of a trillion solar masses

You're only off by a factor of a thousand, but who's counting?

--
"OK you ****s, let's see what you can do now" -Hit Girlhttp://www.youtube..com/watch?v=CjO7kBqTFqo

Trillion is right on the money GOPers like you should know what a
trillion is. Rick Scott Goper governor of Florida stloe 1.7 billion
from medicare,but Bush and Cheney stole 3.3 trillion Get the picture
yet. TtreBert
Old December 24th 11, 05:25 PM posted to alt.astronomy,sci.astro,sci.astro.amateur,sci.physics
Brad Guth[_3_]

On Dec 24, 9:03*am, "G=EMC^2" wrote:
On Dec 24, 10:17*am, HVAC wrote:

On 12/24/2011 9:22 AM, G=EMC^2 wrote:

Universe is in black and white. It has dots of blue,and red. *Looking
at M87 even with the energy of a trillion solar masses

You're only off by a factor of a thousand, but who's counting?

--
"OK you ****s, let's see what you can do now" -Hit Girlhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjO7kBqTFqo

Trillion is right on the money *GOPers like you should know what a
trillion is. Rick Scott Goper governor of Florida stloe 1.7 billion
from medicare,but Bush and Cheney stole 3.3 trillion * Get the picture
yet. TtreBert

M87 has those trillion main sequence stars, though it may also have
trillions of red dwarfs and perhaps ten fold as many white dwarfs as
our galaxy, plus it likely has a considerably more massive black hole
or many billion spent quasars at its core. M87 will also eventually
run us down, with its closing velocity of 300 km/sec, as it too
proceeds on its way towards the GA, where who knows what's going to
happen next.

http://translate.google.com/#
Old December 24th 11, 06:39 PM posted to alt.astronomy,sci.astro,sci.astro.amateur
OG

On 24/12/2011 04:35, Chris L Peterson wrote:

Have you ever seen the night sky at 35,000 feet?

From an airplane, yes. It's not as good as I have here at home at
9,000 feet. I've also seen it from the ground at over 14,000 feet, and
the view from 9,000 feet is definitely better. In fact, the view from
sea level is better than from 14,000 feet.

I'm making no comment on what you might see at 35,000ft from an
aeroplane window, but on the ground at 14,000 ft your visual acuity will
be seriously degraded by lack of oxygen (40% less than at sea level).

Old December 24th 11, 11:12 PM posted to alt.astronomy,sci.astro,sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Sat, 24 Dec 2011 18:39:58 +0000, OG
wrote:

I'm making no comment on what you might see at 35,000ft from an
aeroplane window, but on the ground at 14,000 ft your visual acuity will
be seriously degraded by lack of oxygen (40% less than at sea level).

Exactly my point. In fact, I've huffed at an oxygen bottle at 14,000
feet, and you can literally watch the stars brighten over a matter of
seconds, and then fade again when you go off the O2.

Even from a plane, the cabin pressure is probably adjusted to about
8000 feet, which will cause some loss of visual sensitivity to someone
not acclimated to that altitude.