Hubble versus the Antarctic telescope

Old September 18th 04, 07:34 PM
Pat Flannery

Default Hubble versus the Antarctic telescope

It's a very interesting design layout, although it would of course only
be able to see part of the heavens:
http://spaceflightnow.com/news/n0409/17outdohubble/

Pat

Old September 19th 04, 05:08 AM
Jim Kingdon

http://spaceflightnow.com/news/n0409/17outdohubble/

It does seem intriguing, but I can't help but wonder whether it will
really be as cheap or as capable as claimed.

And as for being better than Hubble, I'm sure it depends on what you
are doing. It won't do Ultraviolet, I'd be fairly confident in
saying. There are plenty of telescopes which are just as good, or
better, than Hubble at some things. There aren't any which match all
of its capabilities.

Old September 19th 04, 12:33 PM
Paul F. Dietz

Jim Kingdon wrote:

And as for being better than Hubble, I'm sure it depends on what you
are doing. It won't do Ultraviolet, I'd be fairly confident in
saying. There are plenty of telescopes which are just as good, or
better, than Hubble at some things. There aren't any which match all
of its capabilities.

The HST also has a darker background, since it doesn't have to
contend with airglow (granted, that's reduced during the antarctic
winter.)

Paul

Old September 19th 04, 08:34 PM
Pat Flannery

Paul F. Dietz wrote:

Jim Kingdon wrote:

And as for being better than Hubble, I'm sure it depends on what you
are doing. It won't do Ultraviolet, I'd be fairly confident in
saying. There are plenty of telescopes which are just as good, or
better, than Hubble at some things. There aren't any which match all
of its capabilities.

The HST also has a darker background, since it doesn't have to
contend with airglow (granted, that's reduced during the antarctic
winter.)

Maybe they intend to use the Antarctic ozone hole to let it get at least
some UV coverage.

Pat

Old September 20th 04, 03:03 PM
hop

Jim Kingdon wrote in message ...
And as for being better than Hubble, I'm sure it depends on what you
are doing. It won't do Ultraviolet, I'd be fairly confident in
saying.

Are you sure ? This may be the silver lining of the ozone hole...

Mostly joking. Anyone know how much of a difference it would make for
astronomical purposes ?