Total Shuttle cost per flight as program ends

Old April 18th 11, 07:19 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Brian Thorn[_2_]

Default Total Shuttle cost per flight as program ends

On Mon, 18 Apr 2011 13:12:45 -0800, Pat Flannery
wrote:

When everything is included, the cost per Shuttle flight flown worked
out to be around $1.5 billion per mission:
http://blogs.chron.com/sciguy/archiv..._prog _1.html

As Jorge pointed out on the web, by that measure, Apollo cost about
$5.5 billion per mission.

Shuttle was a bargain! :-)

Brian
Old April 18th 11, 07:28 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Stuf4

From Brian Thorn:
wrote:

When everything is included, the cost per Shuttle flight flown worked
out to be around $1.5 billion per mission:
http://blogs.chron.com/sciguy/archiv..._prog _1.html

As Jorge pointed out on the web, by that measure, Apollo cost about
$5.5 billion per mission.

Shuttle was a bargain! * :-)

My favorite comment on that page: "$5 a launch from my wallet. A
steal."

Of course, this math isn't totally rigorous. But it is safe to say
that each shuttle launch cost each US taxpayer an average of well
under $10.

~ CT
Old April 18th 11, 08:46 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Niels Jørgen Kruse

Pat Flannery wrote:

On 4/18/2011 10:19 AM, Brian Thorn wrote:
As Jorge pointed out on the web, by that measure, Apollo cost about
$5.5 billion per mission.

Shuttle was a bargain! :-)

How do you have your computer's clock set anyway? This came in as sent
at 10:19 AM, but I didn't send my posting till 1:12 PM, which means you
would have to be three time zones to my east. Since I am on central
time, that puts you out near Greenland or the Azores somewhere.

Look at the headers of your own post. NNTP-Posting-Date and Date have
different timezones, but otherwise nearly the same time. Something is
wonky, either at your end or at northdakotatelephone.

--
Mvh./Regards, Niels Jørgen Kruse, Vanløse, Denmark
Old April 18th 11, 10:01 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Brian Thorn[_2_]

On Mon, 18 Apr 2011 14:12:58 -0800, Pat Flannery
wrote:

How do you have your computer's clock set anyway? This came in as sent
at 10:19 AM, but I didn't send my posting till 1:12 PM, which means you
would have to be three time zones to my east. Since I am on central
time, that puts you out near Greenland or the Azores somewhere.

I think the problem is on your end. Your times seem out of whack.
My end shows your original post was at 4:12pm, but my reply was at
1:19pm and Stuf4's at 1:28pm. Niels' reply to you was at 2:46pm. So
either our clocks are all messed up, or your's is.

Brian
Old April 18th 11, 10:12 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

When everything is included, the cost per Shuttle flight flown worked
out to be around $1.5 billion per mission:
http://blogs.chron.com/sciguy/archiv..._prog _1.html

Pat
Old April 18th 11, 11:07 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Brad Guth[_3_]

On Apr 18, 2:12*pm, Pat Flannery wrote:
When everything is included, the cost per Shuttle flight flown worked
out to be around $1.5 billion per mission:http://blogs.chron.com/sciguy/archiv...p_the_final_ta...

Pat

That all-inclusive cost isn't over until the fat lady sings, because
it doesn't include their initial public funded R&D, existing and
modified infrastructure that we also got to pay for, nor does it cover
retraining and retirement benefits that seem to go on forever, not to
mention the value of those dead astronauts and all of that costly
fiasco.

Just their televised and published PR infomercials cost us hundreds of
millions over the years, and there are agencies within agencies plus
loads of other specialized spendy equipment and payloads that'll never
fly again.

We'll be lucky if the true all-inclusive cost is under $2.5 billion
per mission, not to mention the terrific global pollution each mission
caused.

http://translate.google.com/#
Old April 18th 11, 11:12 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Alan Erskine[_3_]

wrote:

When everything is included, the cost per Shuttle flight flown worked
out to be around $1.5 billion per mission:
http://blogs.chron.com/sciguy/archiv..._prog _1.html

As Jorge pointed out on the web, by that measure, Apollo cost about
$5.5 billion per mission.

Shuttle was a bargain! :-)

Brian

STS only goes into LEO; not to the Moon. STS was far from a bargain for
what it did. How much would a Saturn 1B/Apollo CSM combination cost by
comparison? Remembering that the SLA on the Saturn 1B could have been
used for a cargo module.

Old April 18th 11, 11:46 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Brian Thorn[_2_]

On Tue, 19 Apr 2011 08:12:19 +1000, Alan Erskine
wrote:

STS only goes into LEO; not to the Moon.

STS was far from a bargain for what it did.

Took 800+ individuals into orbit?

How much would a Saturn 1B/Apollo CSM combination cost by
comparison?

Not much less. Most of the Complex 39 overhead to pay for, but you
have to build nine big engines and an Apollo CSM everytime. And you
still don't get much in the way of cargo on the flight.

Remembering that the SLA on the Saturn 1B could have been
used for a cargo module.

Only about 4,000 lbs. Saturn IB could carry a CSM or payload (LM). But
not much more. The ASTP Docking Module only weighed 4,500 lbs. The CSM
was lightly-fueled for 1B flights, it wasn't the 75,000 lb. beast
launched by Saturn V.

Don't make the mistake of believing that because Shuttle is expensive
that Saturn-Apollo was cheap.

Brian
Old April 19th 11, 01:14 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Bob Haller

wrote:
[...]

saturn apollo if built today or had been kept in production would of
been far cheaper, because of new materials and miniturazation of
electronics.

reuasble are harder to upgrade, and rebuilding shuttlers never saved
money