NASA's comet buster is in "safe-mode"?

Old January 13th 05, 08:26 PM
moorehead

Default NASA's comet buster is in "safe-mode"?

http://www.space.com/missionlaunches...ct_050112.html

Deep Impact went into "safe-mode" shortly after launch....oh my Gawd,
that means they're using MS Windows....the mission is doomed...

mj

Old January 13th 05, 09:01 PM
Henry Spencer

In article .com,
moorehead wrote:
Deep Impact went into "safe-mode" shortly after launch....oh my Gawd,
that means they're using MS Windows....the mission is doomed...

Nope, that term goes back much farther in the spaceflight world than in
Microsoft's empire.

It *is* disturbing that DI is in safe mode. It wasn't supposed to do that.
But this has nothing to do with what operating system it's running. (Most
likely it is running VxWorks, like the Mars rovers.)
--
"Think outside the box -- the box isn't our friend." | Henry Spencer
-- George Herbert |
Old January 13th 05, 11:22 PM
Iain Young

On 2005-01-13, Henry Spencer wrote:

It *is* disturbing that DI is in safe mode. It wasn't supposed to do that.
But this has nothing to do with what operating system it's running. (Most
likely it is running VxWorks, like the Mars rovers.)

From what I remember reading earlier today, the propulsion system
triggered the overtemp protection, kicking it into safe mode. They
were talking about having set the temp limits to tight, and just
opening those limits up. See:

http://www.floridatoday.com/!NEWSROOM/spacestoryMAIN0113DEEPIMPACT1.htm
http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/space/2990303
http://spaceflightnow.com/delta/d311/status.html

Iain
Old January 14th 05, 01:01 PM
Jim Oberg

back in nominal mode, no sweat.

Old January 14th 05, 02:00 PM
moorehead

That has to be the best MS story I've ever heard - thank you. I need
to go change my underwear now....

mj

Old January 15th 05, 06:04 AM
james_anatidae

"John Savard" wrote in message
On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 21:01:12 GMT, (Henry Spencer)
wrote, in part:

Nope, that term goes back much farther in the spaceflight world than in
Microsoft's empire.

I'm sure he *was* merely jesting.

Eh, I'm buying an Apple next time anyway.