Spaceflight by 2020

Old September 1st 03, 11:00 AM
Doug Ellison

Default Spaceflight by 2020

"bitflip" wrote in message
Ok, a question for the fertile minds in this news group.
What will space flight be like by 2020?
My ideas:

Shuttle until 2012-2015
OSP capsules for ACRV 2008-until????
OSP spaceplane 2015-until???

Base on the moon 2012-2015

No chance

Mars mission 2015-2020

No chance.

Clearly the US government is determined to make sure that the ISS is 'seen'
to achieve science

Anything else is basically - scrapped.

DOug

Old September 1st 03, 11:02 AM
Doug Ellison

I also expect a Europa orbiter, and possibly a lander, before 2020 --
both obviously unmanned. Finally, I expect some sort of space-based
optical interferometer to be providing us with crude images of
extrasolar planets.

You left out the new infrared telescope.

That wont be taking crude images of Extrasolar Planets.

Doug

Old September 1st 03, 02:17 PM
John Ladasky

"Dholmes" wrote in message ...
"John Ladasky" wrote in message
om...

[snip]

I also expect a Europa orbiter, and possibly a lander, before 2020 --
both obviously unmanned. Finally, I expect some sort of space-based
optical interferometer to be providing us with crude images of
extrasolar planets.

You left out the new infrared telescope.

SIRTF was launched last week. Thus I consider SIRTF to be a done
deal, and I didn't think to mention it in a discussion of the future
of space flight.

I am looking forward to its findings with interest. However, if SIRTF
deploys incorrectly (shudder), I don't think that we'll be replacing
it.

--
John J. Ladasky Jr., Ph.D.
Department of Biology
Old September 1st 03, 03:12 PM
Christopher

On Mon, 1 Sep 2003 11:00:45 +0100, "Doug Ellison"
wrote:

"bitflip" wrote in message
Ok, a question for the fertile minds in this news group.
What will space flight be like by 2020?
My ideas:

Shuttle until 2012-2015
OSP capsules for ACRV 2008-until????
OSP spaceplane 2015-until???

Base on the moon 2012-2015

No chance

Mars mission 2015-2020

No chance.

Clearly the US government is determined to make sure that the ISS is 'seen'
to achieve science

Anything else is basically - scrapped.

If it carries on like that we'll never leave this rock let alone the
system.

Christopher
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
"Kites rise highest against
the wind - not with it."
Winston Churchill
Old September 3rd 03, 09:04 AM
Christopher M. Jones

"John Ladasky" wrote:
I also expect a Europa orbiter, and possibly a lander, before 2020 --
both obviously unmanned.

The orbiter is already in the works. JIMO, Jupiter Icy
Moons Orbiter, an impressive and somewhat ambitious
mission. Arrival at Jupiter is penciled in for sometime
around the middle of the next decade, though it's still
in the preplanning phases and won't even reach the "can
we get some money?" phase for a few years. The plan is
to orbit Callisto, Ganymede, and Europa in succession
and study each up close.

http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/jimo/

Finally, I expect some sort of space-based
optical interferometer to be providing us with crude images of
extrasolar planets.

2020's a good timeframe for that. I might expect it sooner
if NASA weren't so glacially slow.

None of what I've described requires a human presence in space. The
next 16 years of spaceflight belong to the robots. I'll likely find
myself satisfied with the science, on one level, and frustrated with
the deferral of a great human dream on another level.

What's that they say about pessimists? Something about
always being pleasantly surprised I think. I'm sure you'll
find the next 16 years ... surprising.