FAQ Query

Old June 10th 05, 10:17 AM
John D. Tanner

Default FAQ Query

Dear FAQ maintainers (Mr Tokin et al),

Could I ask if it would be appropriate to place a small advert on
uk.sci.astronomy for an astronomy based residential school that the Open
University currently provides? Would it be in breach of the FAQ guidelines?

Kindest regards,
John
http://physics.open.ac.uk/~jdtanner
Old June 10th 05, 10:42 AM
Steve

John D. Tanner wrote:
Dear FAQ maintainers (Mr Tokin et al),

Could I ask if it would be appropriate to place a small advert on
uk.sci.astronomy for an astronomy based residential school that the Open
University currently provides? Would it be in breach of the FAQ guidelines?

I would be happy with that personally. Many other events here are "paying".

Steve
Old June 10th 05, 05:29 PM
Stephen Tonkin

John D. Tanner wrote:
Could I ask if it would be appropriate to place a small advert on
uk.sci.astronomy for an astronomy based residential school that the
Open University currently provides?

IMO it would be very appropriate indeed.

Would it be in breach of the FAQ guidelines?

The FAQ is only a FAQ -- the "definitive" (as far as anyone pays any
attention to such things nowadays) guideline is the newsgroup charter,
which includes in its examples of relevant topics: "Educational
seminars". Where advertising is concerned , it permits "short (less than
10 lines) ... announcements of events relevant to astronomy in the UK".

IOW, "a small advert ... for an astronomy based residential school"
would not contravene the charter.

HTH

Best,
Stephen

Remove footfrommouth to reply

--
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
+ Stephen Tonkin | ATM Resources; Astro-Tutorials; Astro Books +
Old June 12th 05, 07:06 PM
John D. Tanner

Stephen Tonkin wrote:
John D. Tanner wrote:

Could I ask if it would be appropriate to place a small advert on
uk.sci.astronomy for an astronomy based residential school that the
Open University currently provides?

IMO it would be very appropriate indeed.

Would it be in breach of the FAQ guidelines?

The FAQ is only a FAQ -- the "definitive" (as far as anyone pays any
attention to such things nowadays) guideline is the newsgroup charter,
which includes in its examples of relevant topics: "Educational
seminars". Where advertising is concerned , it permits "short (less than
10 lines) ... announcements of events relevant to astronomy in the UK".

IOW, "a small advert ... for an astronomy based residential school"
would not contravene the charter.

HTH

Best,
Stephen

Remove footfrommouth to reply

Okay, I'll get my wording correct and post asap

Cheers,

X Prize query Brian Gaff Space Shuttle 1 July 29th 04 02:14 PM
sun query Richard Griffith UK Astronomy 5 June 10th 04 11:21 PM
query for Brits, Was Nelson a pufter? Carson Dickey UK Astronomy 27 February 9th 04 04:28 PM
Galileo's telescopes query Robin Norton UK Astronomy 1 January 11th 04 03:53 PM
RFI: Shuttle Avionics Language Query OM Space Shuttle 4 September 12th 03 06:58 PM