Terraforming the moon before doing Mars or Venus

Old November 8th 04, 06:28 PM
BradGuth

Default Terraforming the moon before doing Mars or Venus

This topic is not persay about creating a human breathable atmosphere,
especially since it's unlikely that much greater than 0.1 bar can be
sustained (unless you're planning upon being situated in a deep
crater). This is however about improving the delivery and subsequent
deployments of future instruments, as per getting those items
efficiently and safely onto and even for those intended as going into
the moon, with the hopes that eventually a somewhat fly-by-rocket
gyrocopter or of something similar will become a method of
transporting about the moon instead of reliance upon surface trekking
over such horrifically hostile sorts of sharp meteorites and strewn
shards that are certain to inflict great harm (excessive wear and
tear) as to most forms of mechanical drives and/or surface treads.

I'm thinking in terms of mostly imposing this topic in the form of
susgesting a few too many questions, such as to the first notions of
tonne per tonne of whatever dry-ice(CO2) that can be effectively
directed at the moon, and as such this effort is not the least bit
intended as for orbiting and thus impact limited by way of any aspect
of escape velocity, but as for such items of mostly dry-ice being
intentionally intended for directly impacting the mostly basalt
surface.

My first question is; how much pulverised/vaporised lunar basalt is
going to happen/transpire per tonne of whatever Earth sent dry-ice
that could be impacting at 30 km/s, if not exceeding 100 km/s?

Besides using blocks or spheres of raw dry-ice (perhaps those having a
core/volume of LOX), I have a few questions as to what other
substances and/or shell densities might enable the best kinetic
energy worth upon vaporising lunar basalt?

What's the maximum possible final velocity(Vf) of impact per such
delivery?

Obviously one method of achieving maximum velocity is going for the
long way around the sun, or at least trekking around Venus, as
intended for arriving in the opposit direction of accomplishing a
good solar/Venus boosted acceleration plus the merging orbital SOA
adding 30 km/s should improve those impact(Vf) energies by perhaps
creating a great deal more than 100 km/s. Unfortunately, for such a
long-haul method is where dry-ice simply is not going to remain as a
solid by the time of lunar impact, however other substances might be
just as good if not somewhat better than the worth of CO2
contributions to the lunar atmosphere, as the primary element of
creating an artificial atmosphere is actually already within the
lunar basalt.

A direct shot at the moon should be somewhat fast, perhaps less than
24 hours since there's no great amount of technology applied, nor any
mission related life support, thus lots of reserve capacity for the
necessary one-way rocket energy. Of course in addition to whatever
payload of dry-ice, the elements of the final rocket stage should
become worth another few tonnes that'll equally vaporise itself and
of whatever basalt it comes in contact with.

Just in case this topic is a wee bit over your mainstream box edge, I
do have a few alternative tpoics that can be selected at random, or
perhaps eventually I'll do whatever I can, as to further edit upon
this one or introduce other related topics as the need arises.

Regards, Brad Guth / guthvenus.tripod.com/gv-topics.htm

*-----------------------*
Posted at:
www.GroupSrv.com
*-----------------------*
Old November 8th 04, 08:28 PM
BradGuth

Terraforming the moon requires an atmosphere that'll stick around.

Besides the supposed 2e5 population of atoms/cm3 that NASA/Apollo
stipulates as having been available, whereas at 5 atoms/cm3 being
what recent CCD cameras were capable of detecting as a final trail of
sodium atoms created by meteor impacts vaporising basalt, and if those
trailing sodium atoms having managed to be detected as 2 atoms/cm3 out
past 900,000 km behind the moon, as such being initially impact
created and then blown off the moon in part by the 30 km/s headway,
and otherwise by solar winds of better than 600 km/s, as then lo and
behold there's surely an indirect method of our extrapolating upon
the near surface populations of these freshly created sodium atoms.

I've asked of others to share in whatever they think this revised
population could represent, though all I ever obtained was their
pro-NASA/Apollo or bust contributions. However, if we utilized the
square of the distance as based upon establishing the ever increasing
atom population as this impact induced cloud of sodium nears the lunar
surface, this seems like a viable though make-do analogy that's
perfectly acceptable, and whereas the following values become
sufficiently true.

@900,000 km = 5 atoms/cm3
@450,000 km = 20 atoms/cm3
@900.0 km = 5e6 atoms/cm3
@900 meters = 5e12 atoms/cm2
@0.9 meters = 5e18 atoms/cm3

Of course there's most likely other than just the likes of sodium to
being created via meteor impacts. Surely a few lighter than basalt
sodium(Na2O 3.34%) and of those atoms much heavier of basalt
silica(SiO2 59%) should also have been vaporised into action. Since
heavier atoms of perhaps oxygen, argon and CO2 (as nighttime becoming
dry-ice) are bound to already exist, along with great numbers of
silica and metallic substances and just about anything other you can
think of (possibly Rn/radon) is somewhere to being found upon or
within the lunar surface that's hosting such a viable morgue of
whatever the universe has had to offer, whereas those elements
heavier than sodium atoms should stick around.

Unlike Earth, whereas the vast bulk of nearly everything that's headed
for us or within our path is either deflected and/or absorbed by our
atmosphere (smallest suff dealt with by our Van Allen zone of death),
as such not physically arriving upon nor accumulating for the billions
of years as the case with the lunar environment.

Everything from Venus spores to flying diatoms are surely to be
included within the collective matrix of all that's otherwise of
random space debris, from what's less than sand(dust-bunnies of 2 mg)
to the remains of serious bolder sized (100+kg) meteors that's been
within the path and gravity influence of the moon is in fact
eventually collected by way of impacting upon the lunar surface, that
is if it wasn't just passing through like the Leonid meteor(s), or
hasn't been otherwise influenced per arriving upon Earth.

What I'm suggesting, that perhaps we too should have been tossing
loads of stuff at our moon, the more the better, and especially since
almost anything that reaches the lunar surface impacts with such great
velocity and thereby interacts/reacts by essentially becoming mutually
vaporised, and if that effort should intentionally include the heavier
sorts of atoms within dry-ice(co2) and those elements within basalt
that'll likely stick around, this sort bombardment (natural or
artificial) would certainly add to the necessary atmospheric
substance rather than subtract.

Once there's even a slight atmosphere of 0.01 bar, and even if the
depth is relatively slight, this is absolutely good for accommodating
reentry and deployments of 4~5 times the payloads of what's being
deilvered to Mars. And, we need not have to breath this stuff, since
most everything should remain as robotics until we've established a
suitable underground abode, and/or the LSE-CM/ISS.

If yourself or you know of someone that can share some honest
specifics, I'll insure that folks receive all the credits for such.
Although, if you've got only mainstream flak to share, as that too
I'll do my best to insure that you receive all the credits possible,
and then some.

Regards, Brad Guth / BBC h2g2 U206251
http://guthvenus.tripod.com/update-242.htm

*-----------------------*
Posted at:
www.GroupSrv.com
*-----------------------*
Old November 8th 04, 08:28 PM
BradGuth

Here's another honest few thoughts about notions of terraforming our
moon. After all folks, that moon has clearly been an existing orb
that's situated within nearly the most ideal zone of life, thereby a
whole lot warmer than Mars, while otherwise not nearly as hot and
nasty as Mercury for it's having a similar moon-like zilch worth of
an atmosphere.

Geologically, the moon should already offer a good number of Earth
like raw elements (extremes of somewhat vacuum/freeze dried if not
otherwise being cintinually boiled off elements) and I believe
somewhat easily available, to be including the likes of He3 as well
as trapped CO2, plus otherwise absolute mega loads of O2 to work
with, minus whatever water or ice because in such a near vacuum that
aspect of whatever H2O can't possibly reside nor survive anywhere
near the surface, and certainly of anything becoming vaporised that's
much lighter than sodium simply isn't going to stick around unless the
average temperature becomes somewhat moderated, as where lunar
nighttime becomes not quite so cold and the scorching daytime a
little less hot, along with that improve atmosphere attributing to
considerably less solar/cosmic TBI dosage as a result of obtaining a
bit more atmospheric density or population of atoms/cm3, and thus
subsequently affording even greater reductions in secondary
hard-X-ray considerations.

Being that the current reentry factor of terminal velocity status is
nearly unlimited (whatever the SOA plus 1.623 m/s/s has time to
accomplish), thereby these arriving items that are intended as for
artificially impacting the moon need not be all that large nor dense.
Even hollow spheres or blocks of dry-ice with perhaps liquified
oxygen(LXO) within would pack quite a nifty kinetic wallop. Say if
those spheres of 200 kg each as deployed items from 2r(1738 km off
the deck) as for being specifically directed at the moon (thus going
in for the kill and supposedly already making their good SOA),
whereas if the average gravity constant were roughly 1 m/s/s and
there's to be no intended orbit/escape velocity getting involved
should suggest a final impact velocity at nearly 1700 km/s. Even if
those items were having a slight Vt to deal with, as all we'd have to
do is repackage the solid/liquified CO2/Oxygen within somewhat more
substantial projectiles of dry-ice or, if need be incorporate a
hearty shell of U238 or some other nifty alloy, whereas those
resulting impacts should certainly become even better at vaporising a
good number of basalt tonnes into becoming atmosphere.

Thus, in addition to whatever is lunar that becomes vaporised into
becoming atmosphere, of the shell and contents of whatever we're
delivering should only add to the relatively permanent matrix of
lunar atmosphere. Keeping in mind that the notion of creating this
artificial atmosphere isn't so much if at all for our breathing, as
it's for creating a slight but usable factor of Vt.

If we only obtained 1%, thus 0.01 Bar and of perhaps 50% of that being
O2 would certainly improve the way for future deliveries of whatever
robotics and even manned landers as becoming a whole lot more doable
than for Mars. Ideally, at 0.1 Bar (10% of what Earth has to offer)
we might even get ourselves used to such thin air if it were mostly
(greater than 50%) O2, with perhaps the remainder of argon and co2.
Of course, for extended EVAs there'd still be far too little
protection from solar and cosmic radiation, and whatever else that's
out there is bound to impact the moon will for the most part still
get through such a relatively thin surround and low density of
whatever atmosphere, thereby remaining somewhat though perhaps a bit
less lethal as to strolling about via moonsuit.

There'd also remain little chance of that improved environment ever
sustaining open water, especially since at 0.1 Bar the boil-off point
of water should remain well below the nasty daytime thermal
environment that'll become only slightly moderated due to having this
improved body of atmosphere. Regardless of however much water is
imported, this lunar surface environment of mostly dark basalt should
remain absolutely bone dry by even Mars standards, and as such the
toxic affects of CO2 are somewhat if not entirely minimized in much
the same fashion as upon Venus where even sulphur crystals and much
greater amounts of CO2 should be relatively harmless, that is as long
as you don't mind a little lung burning from the co2 reacting poorly
with internal body fluids.

One last thought in the form of another question; how much of U238
and/or whatever super alloys would it take for creating an
intentional impact shell that would be substantial and massive enough
that could penetrate 1 km, taking out or vaporising from the point of
entry of creating this artificial well opening of at least several m2
(say 100 m2) at the point of shell entry, and not being less than 3 m2
at the shaft termination/bottom?

What I'm honestly suggesting by way of this ongoing wall-of-words
isn't without perfectly good reason or of the physics necessary, and
it's certainly not the least bit beyond our current capabilities of
terraforming that moon into a far better place, at least on behalf of
robotics and of eventually accommodating the LSE-CM/ISS.

Regards, Brad Guth / BBC h2g2 U206251
http://guthvenus.tripod.com/lunar-space-elevator.htm

Posted at:
www.GroupSrv.com