sun query

Old June 10th 04, 08:57 AM
Richard Griffith

Default sun query

I took some images of Tuesday's transit, could some please advise the
following, on the right handside of the images is what appears to be some
form of 'disturbance on the sun, shows as a fussy mark, as the image was
taken with my digital camera mounted on the telescope WITH sun filter in
place, is this mark actually on the sun or possibly from the camera's ccd, I
checked the filter and that is clean (as well as brand new)
Its my first solar image so not sure, hence my query, any guidance very much
appreciated.
Tried to post a copy of the image but I keep getting an error message

Regards

Richard
----
Richard Griffith
E-mail

Old June 10th 04, 04:28 PM
Tim Auton

"Richard Griffith" wrote:

I took some images of Tuesday's transit, could some please advise the
following, on the right handside of the images is what appears to be some
form of 'disturbance on the sun, shows as a fussy mark, as the image was
taken with my digital camera mounted on the telescope WITH sun filter in
place, is this mark actually on the sun or possibly from the camera's ccd, I
checked the filter and that is clean (as well as brand new)
Its my first solar image so not sure, hence my query, any guidance very much
appreciated.
Tried to post a copy of the image but I keep getting an error message

It could be a sunspot, there were three or four visible in a modest
'scope on the day. It might have been dust though, it's impossible to
say without seeing the pic.

The reason you can't post the image here is that the group isn't for
binaries (ie anything but text) and your ISP has blocked you from
posting attachments to this group. The usual procedure is to post it
on a website somewhere and give the URL. If you don't have any
webspace email the pic to me and I'll put it on mine and post the URL
here (replace the [groupSexWithoutTheY] in my address with "org").

Tim
--
My last .sig was rubbish too.
Old June 10th 04, 06:12 PM
MDJ

Possibly you captured faculae which look like a brighter patch on the
surface of the Sun. see http://www.eaas.co.uk for images an see if you can
see the disturbance you talk about.

Clear Skies

MarkDJ

"Richard Griffith" wrote in message

I took some images of Tuesday's transit, could some please advise the
following, on the right handside of the images is what appears to be some
form of 'disturbance on the sun, shows as a fussy mark, as the image was
taken with my digital camera mounted on the telescope WITH sun filter in
place, is this mark actually on the sun or possibly from the camera's ccd,

checked the filter and that is clean (as well as brand new)
Its my first solar image so not sure, hence my query, any guidance very

much
appreciated.
Tried to post a copy of the image but I keep getting an error message

Regards

Richard

----
Richard Griffith
E-mail

---
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
http://www.grisoft.com).

Old June 10th 04, 07:59 PM
Tim Auton

"Richard Griffith" wrote:

I took some images of Tuesday's transit, could some please advise the
following, on the right handside of the images is what appears to be some
form of 'disturbance on the sun, shows as a fussy mark, as the image was
taken with my digital camera mounted on the telescope WITH sun filter in
place, is this mark actually on the sun or possibly from the camera's ccd, I
checked the filter and that is clean (as well as brand new)
Its my first solar image so not sure, hence my query, any guidance very much
appreciated.

Richard's image can be found he

http://www.zen39588.zen.co.uk/astro/images/rg_venus.jpg

Tim
--
My last .sig was rubbish too.
Old June 10th 04, 08:44 PM
Jonathan Silverlight

In message , Tim Auton
tim.auton@uton.[groupSexWithoutTheY] writes
"Richard Griffith" wrote:

Tried to post a copy of the image but I keep getting an error message

The reason you can't post the image here is that the group isn't for
binaries (ie anything but text) and your ISP has blocked you from
posting attachments to this group. The usual procedure is to post it
on a website somewhere and give the URL.

You could post it to alt.binaries.pictures.astro. There's also a Web
mirror at www.mysky.org.
Put ASTRO: as the start of the subject line there - it's a convention
that helps keep out spam.

Old June 10th 04, 11:21 PM
MDJ

Yup, that's faculae. For more info see the website below.

http://science.nasa.gov/ssl/pad/solar/feature1.htm

Clear Skies

MarkDJ
http://www.eaas.co.uk/club_members/s...ography_8.html
http://www.stronge.org.uk
Mobile UK Weather

X Prize query Brian Gaff Space Shuttle 1 July 29th 04 02:14 PM
Book query - "Making Space Happen" Andrew Gray Policy 2 January 9th 04 05:41 AM
Software Query Jim UK Astronomy 9 September 21st 03 04:31 PM
RFI: Shuttle Avionics Language Query OM Space Shuttle 4 September 12th 03 06:58 PM