Why absurd theories are formed by Physics

Old May 4th 09, 07:04 AM posted to sci.physics,alt.philosophy,sci.physics.relativity,sci.astro,fr.sci.physique
Pentcho Valev

Default Why absurd theories are formed by Physics

On May 3, 5:54*pm, Tom Roberts wrote in
sci.physics:
As I said earlier, the SM and GR are the GENERALLY ACCEPTED fundamental
theories of physics. The theories you mention are not in the same
league, as far as acceptance in the community goes.

* * * * You may ask: so why haven't I studied those theories? The
* * * * answer is simple: I am extremely time limited, and must
* * * * choose carefully where to spend my time. Your behavior
* * * * around here is closer to that of Androcles than of the few
* * * * real physicists who participate; why should I think you have
* * * * anything valid or useful to say when you act like a crackpot?
* * * * Remember that science is a SOCIAL process....
* * * * More importantly, GR and gravitation are no longer my major
* * * * research interest.

Tom Roberts

I think Einsteinians should replace "Yes we all believe in relativity,
relativity, relativity" and "Divine Einstein" with "Sometimes I feel
like a motherless child". Master Tom Roberts has obviously taken
notice of what Master John Norton, the cleverest Einsteinian, is
persistently hinting at nowadays:

http://www.newscientist.com/article/...erse-tick.html
"General relativity knits together space, time and gravity.
Confounding all common sense, how time passes in Einstein's universe
depends on what you are doing and where you are. Clocks run faster
when the pull of gravity is weaker, so if you live up a skyscraper you
age ever so slightly faster than you would if you lived on the ground
floor, where Earth's gravitational tug is stronger. "General
relativity completely changed our understanding of time," says Carlo
Rovelli, a theoretical physicist at the University of the
Mediterranean in Marseille, France.....It is still not clear who is
right, says John Norton, a philosopher based at the University of
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Norton is hesitant to express it, but his
instinct - and the consensus in physics - seems to be that space and
time exist on their own. The trouble with this idea, though, is that
it doesn't sit well with relativity, which describes space-time as a
malleable fabric whose geometry can be changed by the gravity of
stars, planets and matter."

Master John Baez, Former Teacher Number One of all Einsteinians all
over the world, left the sinking ship a year ago:

http://www.edge.org/q2008/q08_5.html
John Baez: "On the one hand we have the Standard Model, which tries to
explain all the forces except gravity, and takes quantum mechanics
into account. On the other hand we have General Relativity, which
tries to explain gravity, and does not take quantum mechanics into
account. Both theories seem to be more or less on the right track —
but until we somehow fit them together, or completely discard one or
both, our picture of the world will be deeply schizophrenic.....I
realized I didn't have enough confidence in either theory to engage in
these heated debates. I also realized that there were other questions
to work on: questions where I could actually tell when I was on the
right track, questions where researchers cooperate more and fight
less. So, I eventually decided to quit working on quantum gravity."

Pentcho Valev