Mars Global Surveyor photographs Spirit lander

Old January 29th 04, 02:41 AM
Phil Paisley

Default What about Beagle? ( Mars Global Surveyor photographs Spirit lander)

http://www.astrobio.net/news/print.php?sid=757

scroll down the page for the relevent images and story:

Both the Viking 1 and Pathfinder sites have recently been resolved
from orbit using a new technique to increase the resolution of the
MOC. Viking 2 might also be possible using this technique although I
believe its position is not very well known due to the lack of surface
features at its landing site. Mars 4, MPL and Beagle would also be
fascinating, but I imagine, futile, searhes...

Phil
Old January 29th 04, 08:27 PM
Andrew Gray

In article , Phil
Paisley wrote:

Both the Viking 1 and Pathfinder sites have recently been resolved
from orbit using a new technique to increase the resolution of the
MOC. Viking 2 might also be possible using this technique although I
believe its position is not very well known due to the lack of surface
features at its landing site. Mars 4, MPL and Beagle would also be
fascinating, but I imagine, futile, searhes...

(Not Mars 3?)

One day, there will be a research base on Mars. And this research base
will contain scientists, and the people who accrete around them - so,
we'll have a crop of grad students.

Can you see any piece of work more fitted to a grad student than "go to
Utopia Planitia, find Viking for me"?

;-)

--
-Andrew Gray

Old January 29th 04, 10:53 PM
Ian R

Mars 4, MPL and Beagle would also be
fascinating, but I imagine, futile, searhes...

I was under the impression that Mars 3 was the first Soviet lander and
that Mars 4 was an failed orbiter mission?

http://pages.preferred.com/%7Etedstryk/mars3l.html