Return to the moon a good thing?

Old January 27th 04, 01:22 AM
Rand Simberg

Default OT Stoopid politics stuff. (was Return to the moon a good thing?

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 18:00:34 -0700, in a place far, far away, Hop
David made the phosphor
on my monitor glow in such a way as to indicate that:

The cultural evolutionary implication of this is that those with
belief systems that value large families will eventually overwhelm the
rest.

Memes with "be fruitful and multiply" provisions have been spreading
since the dawn of history. Why then don't all of us subscribe to such
memes? Because belief systems aren't hereditary. For example I would
guess there are many agnostics on this news group whose parents or
grandparents were Christian.

No, but some are more culturally persistent than others (again, e.g.,
LDS).
Old January 29th 04, 05:39 PM
bart janssens

Default Return to the moon a good thing?

Dick Morris wrote in message ...
Scott Lowther wrote:

Dick Morris wrote:

Scott Lowther wrote:

Tom Merkle wrote:

Personally I like the plan already just because it will irritate
Zubrin by going to the moon first, then Mars.

What he said.

The last pep talk I got from The Mars Society explicitly mentioned
"Lunar precursor activities" to "test out and exercise a subset of the
Mars hardware". Looks like Zubrin has come around on that point.

Oh, I dunno about that. Seen on the NASAwatch.com homepage:

---
19 December 2003: Post Kitty Hawk Momentum Shifts to Mars, Bob Zubrin,
Mars Society President
"In part because of the mobilization by the membership of the Mars
Society demanding a real goal, and the right goal, for the space agency,
the bandwagon for answering the Gehman report with a fake lunar program

Not only a fake lunar program!
http://www.geocities.com/markpeeters96/a.html

proclamation at Kitty Hawk was derailed. As a result, the decision
process to determine NASA's new goal will now be prolonged until AFTER
the Mars exploration rovers Spirit and Opportunity land on the Red
Planet January 3 and 24, respectively."