ASTRO:Nebula below NGC 6992/6995

Old September 5th 07, 08:25 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Default ASTRO:Nebula below NGC 6992/6995

All wide field images of the Veil nebula show an isolated patch of
nebulosity below the eastern part of the Veil (NGC 6992 and 6995).
I always wanted to image this object on it's own and finally did so last
August. I got only blobs instead of stars and tracking was all over the
place, so I decided to adjust the worm play of my G11 mount and try again
the next night. Next night I had the same problems, until I realised that I
had forgotten to put the focal reducer on and was imaging at f/10. The
resulting scale of 0.66 arcseconds/pixel was too much for my mount and the
seeing, once I put the reducer back on everything was OK.
Imaging at f/10 with the small pixels of my SXV-H9 camera left me with
little signal, so the image is not only blurry but also noisy. I resized it
to 75% to make it look a bit nicer.

Taken from the middle of Berlin with an 8" SCT at f/10, G11 mount, SXV-H9
camera, 36x5 minutes through an Astronomik 13nm Halpha filter.
The picture can also be found at
http://ccd-astronomy.de/temp/unter6992-36x5smallgut.jpg

Stefan

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	unter6992-36x5smallgut.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	175.6 KB
ID:	1182
Old September 6th 07, 12:52 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Nice to know I'm not the only one who does things like that. Back from
vacation I wasted two nights making nothing but mistakes. Took color
data at 3x3 binning which was fine but set the camera for 1/4th frame
somehow so I only got 1/16th of the full image. Then I screwed up focus
by setting the slop to +20 instead of -20 units per half degree C the
next night. Now, what will I do wrong tonight?

Actually it is a good image for all the problems and reminds me I did
take this before I left on vacation. I've never even looked at the
frames. Guess I should! I took the computer planning on doing
processing each night as my wife said she didn't want to travel after 6.
But we were on the road to 9 most nights and then just flopped so
never did get any processing done! Now I'm playing catch-up and still
not getting any processing done.

Rick

Old September 6th 07, 06:26 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
DvandenH

Despite all the trouble you went trough you managed to get a good image of
this nebula Stefan.
Nice!.

reg
Dirk

--
Dirk van den Herik

A journey of thousand lightyears
starts with the first step.

Old September 7th 07, 02:27 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Richard Crisp[_1_]

ah ha you imaged it close up !

looks like a top view of a turtle to me Stefan.

That's the first time I have seen this guy in a closeup. I've captured it
many times in widefields though...

thanks for posting it.

Old September 8th 07, 02:38 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

"Rick Johnson" wrote
Nice to know I'm not the only one who does things like that......

The mistake I keep repeating again and again is forgeting to start an
imaging exposure sequence and then going inside to warm up or over to
another scope to do visual observing. It's always a sinking feeling to
return a half hour later and realize that you forgot to start the exposure!!

.......I did take this before I left on vacation. I've never even looked
at the frames........

Gee I'm bringing some data to process while on vacation over the next two
weeks..... Now I'm wondering if I should bother!

George N

Old September 8th 07, 05:38 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

George Normandin wrote:
"Rick Johnson" wrote

Nice to know I'm not the only one who does things like that......

The mistake I keep repeating again and again is forgeting to start an
imaging exposure sequence and then going inside to warm up or over to
another scope to do visual observing. It's always a sinking feeling to
return a half hour later and realize that you forgot to start the exposure!!

My mistake of late has been leaving it in focus mode (little tiny
window) then starting the routine. The routine has no option for window
size, that's set under individual images rather than a color series. So
I focus with the tiny fast window then start the color routine without
turning off the tiny window. That needs to show in the series window.
Other settings there and can be different from the individual image
settings without a problem but forget that focus window and you're dead.

Then my other mistake is to start the series but forget to turn on
autosave so it takes them all but only the last one is still on the
screen and can be saved. I'd like to see the routine autostart autosave
when it starts running just in case I've forgotten to go to that screen
and check the box.

Gee I'm bringing some data to process while on vacation over the next two
weeks..... Now I'm wondering if I should bother!

George N

Well, I did use the computer to make motel reservations when we changed
the plans and had to alter those but that's about all I used it for.
Otherwise it was lights out and up early. Not easy for this night guy
married to a morning person!

Rick