Towards the *fully* 3D-printed electric cars.

Old July 13th 17, 06:37 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.physics,rec.arts.sf.science,sci.electronics.design
[email protected]

Default Towards the *fully* 3D-printed electric cars.

In sci.physics "Greg \(Strider\) Moore" wrote:
"David Mitchell" wrote in message
o.uk...

wrote:
In sci.physics David Mitchell wrote:
wrote:

OK, what "stuff" would people be making at home?

Jewellry, utilities, tools, gadgets.

Could you be any more vague?

Yes. Yes I could.

Things. People will make things. All of the things.

I suspect 3D printing at home will be as successful as the personal
computer. I mean everyone knows they're useless at home and we'll only need
a few major mainframes.

Personal computer use in the home is dropping with increased use of smart
phones for those important tasks such as posting on twitter and facebook.

Which reminds me, I need to tell my friends who own 3D printers and printing
parts to fix things at homes, tools, and tool holders and all manner of
things that I never would have thought of myself that they're wrong and no
one will effectively use a 3D printer at home.

How many people do you know that own 3D printers?

I know about a dozen people that own things like welders, milling machines,
drill presses, and lathes but no one that owns a 3D printer.

Honestly, it's pretty damn presumptuous to claim that there's no future to
3D printing at home. I suspect 10-20 years from now we'll be laughing at
such claims. Like computers, it will continue to improve. It'll get faster,
more capable, capable of using more materials, etc.

Since no one in this thread has made that claim, your post is nonsense.

--
Jim Pennino
Old July 13th 17, 09:17 PM posted to sci.physics,sci.space.policy,sci.electronics.design,rec.arts.sf.science
Thomas Koenig

Robert Clark schrieb:
Some types of insulation such as silicone
rubber have a melting point of 300 C.

Do you know what a rubber is? Apparently not.
Old July 13th 17, 10:42 PM posted to sci.physics,sci.space.policy,sci.electronics.design,rec.arts.sf.science
[email protected]

In sci.physics Robert Clark wrote:

snip

Could lay down the metal, then help it cool by blowing cold gas over it,
then lay down the insulation, etc. Some types of insulation such as silicone
rubber have a melting point of 300 C.

Nope, silicone rubber once cured has no melting point. 300 C is the maximum
temperature it can withstand before permanetly degrading. Silicone rubbers
in general have poor resistance to steam, super heated water, oils, fuels
and solvents.

Silicone rubbers would be impractical to 3D print due the the chemistry.

--
Jim Pennino
Old July 14th 17, 12:01 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.physics
Peter Stickney[_2_]

On 2017-07-03 16:14, Jeff Findley wrote:

Actually if the 3D printed part replaces many other parts (e.g.
SuperDraco engines) then it's faster to print than it is to
manufacture and assemble all those other parts.

Am thinking 3D printing would have uses making moulds/mandrels for
complex composite parts (which would then be far stronger than the
plastic 3D printed moulds).

Uh, 3D printing hasn't been limited to plastics for a very long time.
SpaceX is directly printing rocket engine combustion chambers. They're
not made of plastic.

Once done, you can melt the plastic to get it out of places where it
normally couldn't get out.

So it seems that Mr. Mezei has reinvented Lost Wax Casting. Welcome to
the 5th Centruy BCE.

Why even involve 3D printing if you're then going to throw it away by
reverting to casting parts?

Apropos of this - a couple thing that are Not There for the 3D Printing
of high strength materials are eliminating post-printing machining to
finish the part, and being able to deal with heat treatment and
hardening. At this point, it looks like unless you're dealing with low
volumes - prototyping and small custom runs, traditional methods are
producing better results.

There are possible applications at present - the USN is experimenting
with using 3D printing aboard ships to allow spare parts to be fabricated
as necessary - albeit with severe limitations on the parts (See again
materials and treatment) that can be produced.

--
Pete Stickney
“A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many
Old July 14th 17, 01:53 AM posted to sci.physics,sci.space.policy,sci.electronics.design,rec.arts.sf.science
Robert Clark[_5_]

Could lay down the metal, then help it cool by blowing cold gas over it,
then lay down the insulation, etc. Some types of insulation such as
silicone
rubber have a melting point of 300 C.

Nope, silicone rubber once cured has no melting point. 300 C is the maximum
temperature it can withstand before permanetly degrading. Silicone rubbers
in general have poor resistance to steam, super heated water, oils, fuels
and solvents.

Silicone rubbers would be impractical to 3D print due the the chemistry.

In any case there are ceramic-based insulators that can withstand in the
range of 500C

http://www.ceramawire.com/technical-information.shtml

Bob Clark

Finally, nanotechnology can now fulfill its potential to revolutionize
21st-century technology, from the space elevator, to private, orbital
launchers, to 'flying cars'.
This crowdfunding campaign is to prove it:

Nanotech: from air to space.
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/n...ce/x/13319568/

Old July 14th 17, 01:57 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.physics,rec.arts.sf.science,sci.electronics.design
[email protected]

On Wed, 12 Jul 2017 10:24:38 -0400, "Robert Clark"
wrote:

"Spehro Pefhany" wrote in message
.. .
================================================= ===================
3D printing actually is quite useful as part of a bespoke
jewellery-making process. You design a 3D model using a CAD program
such as Jewelsmith, print a positive, then use investment casting to
produce a one-time mold, which is used to mold precious metal.

No one said that 3D printers weren't useful. The argument is whether
they'll take over traditional manufacturing. That is, everyone makes
what they need at home, on their magic printer.

I can't see anyone printing an electric, gas, or water company.

Tools and gadgets are so vague they are meaningless.

Tools? I just 3D-printed a fixture for stencil printing a PCB. It
holds a small panel (snaps into the mounting holes) and has cutouts to
allow the PCB to sit flat after parts have already been mounted on the
other side. Crude but more than good enough. A machinist would have
charged me perhaps $500 and taken days. And I would have gotten bogged
down in toolpaths and cutter compensation and such like programming it
myself in a CAM program.

How many people in the US would *ever* have done such? I do this
stuff too and would no more dream of printing a stencil than
manufacturing my own PCBs.
Old July 14th 17, 02:01 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.physics,rec.arts.sf.science,sci.electronics.design
[email protected]

On Wed, 12 Jul 2017 17:45:42 -0000, wrote:

In sci.physics Jeff Findley wrote:
In article ,

says...

I can see a few, very few, people printing junk jewelry, mostly teenage
girls.

Perhaps, but have you been to a craft store in the last 5 years?
They've been selling commercial 2d robotic cutters for many years that
are about the size of an ink-jet printer. The stupid thing shows
absolutely no sign of stopping even though the "cartridges" which
contain the cutting patterns are DRM protected and *very* expensive.
They are mostly used by people who like to do scrap books, but others
use them for making their own greeting cards and etc.

In those same craft stores is a large jewelery making section. Those
"memory bracelets" people make are a hot thing because "every item on it
represents a memory". In other words, these things are already highly
customized.

So, I wouldn't discount the notion that the crafts stores might start
selling very small 3d metal printers for making little dangling things
for jewelery (memory bracelets, necklace charms, and etc.) since this
would drop right into the market-space. They would only need to print
at most 3" x 3" x 3" to cover 99% of the jewelery market.

That same metal printer would sell "big league" at game stores where
custom cast characters for board games are already a huge market. In
other words Dungeons and Dragons, Warhammer 40k, and etc. Even if an
individual player wouldn't want one, every damn game store on the planet
would want at least a couple.

Jeff

By those standards black powder firearms will take over the firearms world.

I'm not saying there is not and will not be a bunch of niche users of
3D printing.

What I am saying is that 3D printing is not going to be the next industrial
revolution.

Personal 3D printing won't be the next industrial revolution. 3D
printing is already revolutionizing engineering.
Old July 14th 17, 02:07 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.physics,rec.arts.sf.science,sci.electronics.design
[email protected]

wrote:

OK, what "stuff" would people be making at home?

Jewellry, utilities, tools, gadgets.

Could you be any more vague?

Yes. Yes I could.

Things. People will make things. All of the things.

I suspect 3D printing at home will be as successful as the personal
computer. I mean everyone knows they're useless at home and we'll only need
a few major mainframes.

Personal computer use in the home is dropping with increased use of smart
phones for those important tasks such as posting on twitter and facebook.

Banking and Amazon, too. Though that isn't to say that there isn't
anything beyond the 3D printer.

Which reminds me, I need to tell my friends who own 3D printers and printing
parts to fix things at homes, tools, and tool holders and all manner of
things that I never would have thought of myself that they're wrong and no
one will effectively use a 3D printer at home.

How many people do you know that own 3D printers?

I know of none but we have several at work. One of my cow-orkers was
going to buy one and use it as a side business but he figured out that
it made no business sense.

I know about a dozen people that own things like welders, milling machines,
drill presses, and lathes but no one that owns a 3D printer.

Honestly, it's pretty damn presumptuous to claim that there's no future to
3D printing at home. I suspect 10-20 years from now we'll be laughing at
such claims. Like computers, it will continue to improve. It'll get faster,
more capable, capable of using more materials, etc.

Since no one in this thread has made that claim, your post is nonsense.

+1
Old July 14th 17, 02:27 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.physics,sci.electronics.design
Serg io[_2_]

On 7/12/2017 11:29 PM, Fred J. McCall wrote:
Serg io wrote:

major limitation is, one cannot "print" higher melting temp material on
lower melting point material.

And just what does that really limit?

obviously, printing objects composed of mixed materials.